You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

AA Mod 1 or Aiming Mod?

12 comments in this topic

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,176 battles

Are the 2 extra explosion worth it?  Has anyone done any tests on this?

Thanks.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,600 battles

I still run that AA mod over the accuracy mod on some cruiser because...well cruiser accuracy is already good.

Against good CV it won't matter because they'll avoid flaks but sometime even the good CV player let some planes fly in a flak burst so even if not the entire squadron is hit, some planes are heavily damaged.

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,110 battles

Some ships the AA is already so bad it doesn't matter if you use AA mod, some ships really need help with dispersion.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,210 posts
24,603 battles
1 hour ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Thanks.

Are we talking Regular Cruisers and Destroyers?  They're already accurate.

The only Cruisers I'd consider mounting ASM1 on are Graf Spee and the Super Cruisers like Alaska, Azuma, Kronshtadt.  They don't get true Cruiser accuracy and they don't reload as fast as a normal CL / CA to make up for a bad salvo.

It pains me to see videos even from some well known CCs where they throw on ASM1 on super accurate shooting CLs.

Battleships have serious decisions to make because any BB can make use of ASM1.  But then there's also BBs with good secondaries to merit SBM1, and other BBs have the foundation of good AA to improve upon.  And ASM1, SBM1, and AAGM1 all sit in the same Slot 3 position.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Battleships have serious decisions to make because any BB can make use of ASM1.  But then there's also BBs with good secondaries to merit SBM1, and other BBs have the foundation of good AA to improve upon.  And ASM1, SBM1, and AAGM1 all sit in the same Slot 3 position.

Except USN BBs. They don't get that dispersion buff (in slot 3). I took the AA mod, but I am not sure it is doing a whole lot. Stop better than a little extra range imo

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
5,176 battles
17 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Some ships the AA is already so bad it doesn't matter if you use AA mod, some ships really need help with dispersion.

Would you put it on a Helena, Fiji, Yorck, Algeria in Randoms?

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,110 battles
7 minutes ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I truly haven't played enough Randoms since the rework to really tell you what I would do. Before the rework I never used AA builds because there weren't ever that many battles with CVs in them.

I probably would put it on them, their dispersion is not bad, if I noticed that I was only getting CVs in 1 out of 5 battles or less I would remove it for a better choice.

I have only played 5 ranked battles for instance and haven't seen a CV, I would consider something else for ranked I think, until I started seeing more CVs. @LittleWhiteMouse has done some testing but i don't know or can't remember, if she tested that specifically.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,259 posts
10,088 battles

2 extra flak are a must-have if want better odds of fighting off CV attacks.

However, keep in mind the extra damage vs. planes becomes noticeable only if CV flies in straight line as otherwise he dodges most flak.

[PVE]
Members
20,021 posts
12,714 battles

I go with AA mod as my default for slot three unless a ship really needs something else. I'm a co-op main, so take that with a grain of salt as I'm waiting for bots to get CVs.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,278 posts
10,382 battles
4 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Thanks.

Generally speaking, the only time Aiming Systems Modification 1 isn't worth it is if your ship is so darned accurate in the first place that you can forgo using it.  This generally means that you can get away with not using it on medium to short range cruisers and all destroyers (and cruisers that use destroyer-caliber guns such as the work-in-progress Smolensk, Colbert and the established ships like Flint and Atlanta).

AA Guns Modification 1 really only helps out against inexperienced aircraft carrier commanders.  Expert CV players don't tend to get hit by flak explosions at all.

-edit-

Allow me to clarify on some points.  Aiming Systems Modification 1 (ASM1) reduces the overall dispersion area of your shell fall.  The dispersion area of a given ship increases over distance, thus the longer range you tend to do your gunnery, the larger the dispersion area.  This also means that you'll see a more dramatic impact for a ship with a larger dispersion area than one with a smaller one.  With battleship-caliber guns having the largest dispersion areas in the game currently, they benefit the most from ASM1.  Similarly, cruisers that tend to engage ships at ranges greater than 14km will also see some appreciable gains this way.  For cruisers whose average engagement distance is less or for destroyer-caliber guns which have tiny dispersion areas already, the gains made by ASM1 are much reduced.

Now, there's a caveat to all this.  Just because you don't gain as much from ASM1, that doesn't mean that other upgrades are immediately more worthwhile.  So, you can't automatically jump to AA Guns Modification 1 as the new obvious replacement.  Some destroyers, for example, don't spit out any flak explosions at all (or so few), making upgrading the flak useless. 

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,530 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

However, keep in mind the extra damage vs. planes becomes noticeable only if CV flies in straight line as otherwise he dodges most flak.

Correct. Just to point out, sometimes the flak bursts are undodgeable. 2 more increases the chance of one of those occurring. Planes only turn so much and they can only change speed so much to dodge them. If you watch them even the unicum players do get hit sometimes. A bigger wall of flak increases the odds that you can't fly around the burst and at least some of them will get hit. 

3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Are we talking Regular Cruisers and Destroyers?  They're already accurate.

The only Cruisers I'd consider mounting ASM1 on are Graf Spee and the Super Cruisers like Alaska, Azuma, Kronshtadt.  They don't get true Cruiser accuracy and they don't reload as fast as a normal CL / CA to make up for a bad salvo.

It pains me to see videos even from some well known CCs where they throw on ASM1 on super accurate shooting CLs.

^This. I agree ASM1 is a serious choice on Graf Spee, the super cruisers and on BBs. They actually get enough improvement from ASM1 to make it a challenging decision. I take ASM1 on them automatically for ships like K-stadt which don't have great AA. The improved flak does help but you are putting the proverbial lipstick on a pig. 

1 hour ago, Reymu said:

It isn't just noticeable if you fly it, it can actually mess up the attack run. Some planes are really intolerant of maneuvering once they start the attack run particularly for torpedo bombers. On they surface ship end you won't see the effect because you can't see what the CV player has to do to line you up, but on the CV player's end you absolutely can see the difference as your targeting reticule turns from a narrow cone or a tight circle to a blobby mass or a huge cone. In some cases you have to fly through or abort the run completely. That plus active maneuvering can make the difference between hits and misses from the planes. I saw a red Amagi with the module, who I was bombing, work wonders to keep himself from getting hit. 

I want to stress, the skill does work and is worth it if you don't have anything that is seriously competing for the slot (USN ships, cruisers and DDs in particular). It is a difficult choice for non USN BBs and super cruisers because they have  worse dispersion and they do have something worthwhile competing for it. 

3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Yes. They all have good enough dispersion that they don't need the dispersion module. The improvement you are getting from it is miniscule. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
3 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

I'd run AA on all of those.