You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheMadTankR

Consequences of loaner boats in ranked and mob rule

49 comments in this topic

[SBNA]
Members
345 posts
24,730 battles

Unforeseen consequences of the "loaner" ship in ranked is starting to rear it's ugly mob rule head. I went into a server 2 times using a loaner boat to try it out and was accosted and watched as someone typed into chat "report troll the rental Moskova". Indeed they did report me as my karma reduced after the game. Anyway, good luck to you if you choose to run a rental in ranked.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

You knew exactly what you were doing, and why people were agitated. Their reaction isn't "mob rule" - mob rule was letting people who don't have high tier ships borrow them to participate in a competitive, unforgiving, joyless grind.

I wouldn't have reported you myself, but I can't even for a moment condemn those who did.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 6

[RLGN]
Members
14,909 posts
26,428 battles
46 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

(snip)...to participate in a competitive, unforgiving, joyless grind.

I wouldn't have reported you myself, but I can't even for a moment condemn those who did.

As accurate a description of Ranked as can be.

I condemn WG and their idiotic attempts to drive players to tier ten before they’re anywhere close to being ready.

The only fault I would find in the OP’s actions would be in using Moskva in the first place, rental or not.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles
2 hours ago, TheMadTankR said:

Unforeseen consequences of the "loaner" ship in ranked is starting to rear it's ugly mob rule head. I went into a server 2 times using a loaner boat to try it out and was accosted and watched as someone typed into chat "report troll the rental Moskova". Indeed they did report me as my karma reduced after the game. Anyway, good luck to you if you choose to run a rental in ranked.

Were I in charge at Wargaming, I would delete that someone's account. It's bullying, and whatever your feelings about Ranked rentals it's unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 7

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,173 battles

@TheMadTankR Did you report them in a support ticket with the replay?

In any case a reduction in karma points means nothing.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,606 posts
17,184 battles

The thing is ranks 10-18 you're going to see more rentals, the lower you get the more it's experienced players and if they have a rental there it's more to check out the ship. I don't judge or underestimate a player at rank 6-10 with rentals.. They have other tier tens I'm sure... I have 8 tier 10s and still tried a cpl tier 10s I don't have... If you underestimate me when I'm in a rental good luck, I'm not a rookie.. I'm fluctuating rank 6-7, happy hunting 

[PVE]
Members
4,661 posts
20,600 battles

I still am unsure what the "value"of the rented ship idea is?  To sell more OP ships?  If that is the case, the gameplay quality could be negatively affected and that lessens the confidence of the established players that our host wants quality.....  And, at the same time, could enlarge the player base interested in a more competitive and smaller format mode than Randoms....?

If there was a way to measure "gameplay quality" that doesn't involve polls.....  Of course, their sales data would support half of the equation..........naw, they've never tell us that.  So.........

Another binary topic: you either hate it or like it........ 

For me, I gave up at level 10: the matches just became all about luck of the MM and RNG God's team selection......  Good rentals and good carrier = win.  Everything else, not win.......or, so it seemed....

Beta Testers
3,225 posts
26,879 battles

My answer to all this . do what I'm doing refuse to play rank period ! ! ! just like I've refused to play CVs when that mess started  ! ! !

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,729 battles
5 hours ago, TheMadTankR said:

Good. If you dont own a tier 10, you have no place to play rank. Where lots of people cant do anything because of potato teams. Rentals just add to that cause

2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Were I in charge at Wargaming, I would delete that someone's account. It's bullying, and whatever your feelings about Ranked rentals it's unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

If you cant take some bullying then i suggest you go play a single player game where the enemy is yourself. So you dont let your team down.

Also survival of the fittest meaning the weaklings have no place here. If youre so snowflaky then go somewhere else

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles
4 minutes ago, GuessIllJustDie said:

Good. If you dont own a tier 10, you have no place to play rank. Where lots of people cant do anything because of potato teams. Rentals just add to that cause

If you cant take some bullying then i suggest you go play a single player game where the enemy is yourself. So you dont let your team down.

Also survival of the fittest meaning the weaklings have no place here. If youre so snowflaky then go somewhere else

You do realize that you speak for no one but yourself, are a terrible representation of this community, and are the epitome of a caricature image of a gamer?

Survival of the fittest? Oh lawd.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Funny 1

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,729 battles
1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

You do realize that you speak for no one but yourself, are a terrible representation of this community, and are the epitome of the caricature image of a neckbeard with no job who thinks they are making a career and a lifestyle choice by taking the game so serious?

lmbo.

I have a winning mentality and im in a great career position at a age less than 30. After working a long day i come home to see potatoes playing tier 10 ranked? No premium consumables in ranked? No idea how to shoot 15km+? Yeah no thanks

I dont take the game toooo seriously, but whenever I lose due to no fault of my own sure that makes me salty.

And those who cant take banter, well i thank the schooling system for making them snowflakes and giving out participation trophies (the most useless thing ever). Karma means nothing in this game. So if youre upset over losing karma, get over it

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

Members
563 posts
16,124 battles

The OP has over 14000 battles.  He said in his post he used a rental to try the ship, so I would imagine he doesn’t own a Moskva, but I’d be willing to bet he owns some tier 10s with that many games.  Even if not, he’s not some noob who bought an Atago and played one game to unlock the rentals and jumped in.  I’d imagine there are worse people to have in your match in a rental bote.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

This whole rental out cry is [edited].

Good players can take the ship out with no camo, and a zero point captain and out perform most fully built and speced ships.  There were a few unicums doing that as a test a while back, and surprise surprise, they maintained Unicum stats anyways.

Its the player not the ship.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[FTH]
Members
1,016 posts
15,933 battles

I wouldn't let it bother ya OP, if you combine your karma in game with 2 dollars, you can get a large coke at most gas stations...

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,146 posts
5,659 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I still am unsure what the "value"of the rented ship idea is?

Reduced queue times is the primary benefit.  Reduced queue times = more matches per unit of time = content for paying customers = happier paying customers = paying customers more likely to spend more money.

• Cool 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles
3 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Good players can take the ship out with no camo, and a zero point captain and out perform most fully built and speced ships.  There were a few unicums doing that as a test a while back, and surprise surprise, they maintained Unicum stats anyways.

I mostly agree.  There's a lot of absolutely terrible T10 players.  Mostly people who complain (myself included) are not good enough to carry on our own and need people to carry their own weight.  When you see a rental, you know that person is likely /not/ going to carry you and you'll have to pull your own weight.  That's not the fault of the person in the rental, it's the fault of the person not able to carry their own weight.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,710 posts
9,292 battles
5 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

I still am unsure what the "value"of the rented ship idea is?  

To get more people in the queue, period.

Having said that, I don't know why they chose T10, instead of a lower tier more could play normally. But, given they were bound and determined to do T10 Ranked, the rentals make some sense.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,710 posts
9,292 battles

I agree. I'm using a rental Montana, with a 16-point NC captain. I do just as well (maybe even a little better) than I do in the GK I own.

I did try Moskva, but quickly realised that, not only do I have little clue how to play it, but the little clue I have (gained from a couple games) tells me that, if I do learn to play it, I won't enjoy it anyway.

[AOD_C]
Members
216 posts
12,499 battles

Have to agree with this.  Watched someone on Twitter playing ranked on the Russian server with a rental Kurfurst...wants to rank out on all the servers apparently....had no impact at all on his game play.  If I had done that, I can only imagine how ugly it would have been...lol.

So it is positively the player and not the ship that makes the essential difference.  Now I guess I should go back and revisit all those ships I blamed for their poor win rate :P

[TMS]
Members
3,606 posts
34,789 battles
11 hours ago, TheMadTankR said:

The simple truth is that in a ranked  battle the place you took could've been filled with someone who knew how to play there ships.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles
6 hours ago, GuessIllJustDie said:

Go rot yourself.

I have a thick skin for sure, but if you're trying to excuse sociopathic behaviour towards others you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,830 posts
4,733 battles

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Allowing potatoes in unfamiliar, nerfed* ships into a competitive arena should makes it easier for the better players to rise to the top.

So what's all the kvetching? eh?

* No camo, no experience, questionable upgrades.

Edited by iDuckman

[DPG]
Members
2,030 posts
10,730 battles

Take a frustrating game mode that has practically zero fun factor, add the option for players to rent ships they've never used before, and act surprised when other players are upset.  People play ranked for the rewards, nothing more.  Adding any element that might hinder their ability to obtain those rewards and there will be backlash.  It happens in every single multiplayer game.  

Members
1,306 posts
7,142 battles

I played one game of Ranked and there was little difference between the rental potatoes and the regular potatoes aside from the fact that the rentals have the excuse of being new. They all played terribly. Focusing on the rentals is just a way for 44% Shimakaze mains and their ilk to divert attention from themselves.