You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Why Did We Lose This One?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,441 posts
4,198 battles

So I finally saw something tonight that I've always wondered about - If the last two ships alive ram each other, what is the battle result? I always assumed draw. So when we came back down 4-2 in a Ranked battle, and the enemy Yamato rammed our Stalingrad, I thought we had earned a draw.

Not so much.

shot-19_06.07_22_54.41-0145.thumb.jpg.045ed7c582ffefa7cc5351ec4518c5c7.jpgshot-19_06.07_22_54.47-0758.thumb.jpg.15e43ce6e9c63e4e3e67a661b1790fea.jpg

A few more details: It was our Stalingrad and Gearing pushing down from A (which we had) to B, which they had. Their Harugumo and Yamato were sitting in B. Stalin chased the Gumo out from around an island, the Gumo got the Gearing, but the Stalin got him. It's now bow on Stalin vs bow on Yammy. They're well ahead on points, (936 to 6 something), but the Stalingrad is sitting in their cap, so we're gaining. The Yammy tries AP, doesn't work, so he going to HE. Stalingrad is blasting away with HE. Yamato must have decided that he was going to lose this battle, so he puts it in forward, and the Stalin starts backing up. The ram is now inevitable, and I can tell the team is thinking better a draw than a loss. Collision, big kaboom, both die simultaneously (as far as I can tell at least). Screen shows I lost a star, screen says we lost. Double check, yup, Yammy died too. Reason for loss? All allied ships destroyed.

So, my only though is that for whatever reason, the Stalingrad must have died a split second before the Yammy, giving them the win serverside, but the client still recorded the second death, and that was given to the Stalingrad. He did get Kraken. Now, what I'm wondering is if this is random who dies first, or is there a reason? The Yammy did have more HP, but I don't think that affects who dies first. So, were we on the wrong side of a 50/50 flip, or did the fact that their ship had more HP or their side had more points give them the W?

Replay:20190607_222300_PASB017-Montana-1945_r01_military_navigation.wowsreplay

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,217 battles

They were ahead on points.

@AJTP89 send a support ticket with the replay for WG to sort it out.

• Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,016 battles
1 minute ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

They were ahead on points

Yep!

Members
190 posts
5,024 battles

Well, I know that if the game timer runs down to zero, whichever team has more points wins the match, regardless of how many ships are left alive on either side, following that logic, in the result of a situation where both teams lose all their ships at the same time, i would imagine the team with more points wins. The only way a draw can occur is if both teams have the same points and either lose all ships or the timer runs out. I don't know this 100%, but it makes sense, so it's probably wrong. 

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Maybe its different in ranked, but in randoms, the points don't matter when the last 2 die at the same time.

[PVE]
Members
20,064 posts
12,754 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

So I finally saw something tonight that I've always wondered about - If the last two ships alive ram each other, what is the battle result? I always assumed draw. So when we came back down 4-2 in a Ranked battle, and the enemy Yamato rammed our Stalingrad, I thought we had earned a draw.

Not so much.

shot-19_06.07_22_54.41-0145.thumb.jpg.045ed7c582ffefa7cc5351ec4518c5c7.jpgshot-19_06.07_22_54.47-0758.thumb.jpg.15e43ce6e9c63e4e3e67a661b1790fea.jpg

A few more details: It was our Stalingrad and Gearing pushing down from A (which we had) to B, which they had. Their Harugumo and Yamato were sitting in B. Stalin chased the Gumo out from around an island, the Gumo got the Gearing, but the Stalin got him. It's now bow on Stalin vs bow on Yammy. They're well ahead on points, (936 to 6 something), but the Stalingrad is sitting in their cap, so we're gaining. The Yammy tries AP, doesn't work, so he going to HE. Stalingrad is blasting away with HE. Yamato must have decided that he was going to lose this battle, so he puts it in forward, and the Stalin starts backing up. The ram is now inevitable, and I can tell the team is thinking better a draw than a loss. Collision, big kaboom, both die simultaneously (as far as I can tell at least). Screen shows I lost a star, screen says we lost. Double check, yup, Yammy died too. Reason for loss? All allied ships destroyed.

So, my only though is that for whatever reason, the Stalingrad must have died a split second before the Yammy, giving them the win serverside, but the client still recorded the second death, and that was given to the Stalingrad. He did get Kraken. Now, what I'm wondering is if this is random who dies first, or is there a reason? The Yammy did have more HP, but I don't think that affects who dies first. So, were we on the wrong side of a 50/50 flip, or did the fact that their ship had more HP or their side had more points give them the W?

Replay:20190607_222300_PASB017-Montana-1945_r01_military_navigation.wowsreplay

Lert and LWM did some tests on ramming in the Training room last year trying to determine who wins in a mutual ram kill. Bow to bow, bow to side, low health to high health, etc, none of it made a difference. For some reason tho, it was always Lert that won, IIRC. Might have been the reverse. Lert is in the Netherlands and LWM is in Canada, so they checked ping times by playing people closer and it didn't matter then either. Lert was losing the games vs the other guy no matter what. They did further tests, but I don't remember if any definitive answer was found. Sometimes it was random and other times one person won continually over the other. 

A quick search didn't find it. Maybe someone with better Google-fu can find it. 

Or

400px-Control_Mage.jpg

I summon @Lert and @LittleWhiteMouse to impart their vast knowledge upon us all!

It's late, I'm whimsical.

[CNO]
Members
6,083 posts
18,564 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Lert and LWM did some tests on ramming in the Training room last year trying to determine who wins in a mutual ram kill. Bow to bow, bow to side, low health to high health, etc, none of it made a difference. For some reason tho, it was always Lert that won, 

Mouse...cat.  Who do you expect to win!?

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

That Yamato was firing HE...

Related image

aCO9Jnd.jpg

Oh, and the Rental Ship did really well!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,912 battles
2 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

They did further tests, but I don't remember if any definitive answer was found.

We never nailed it down completely.

[PVE]
Members
20,064 posts
12,754 battles
6 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Mouse...cat.  Who do you expect to win!?

:Smile_teethhappy:

5 hours ago, Lert said:

We never nailed it down completely.

That's what I thought. So essentially random the first time and possibly one player will win over the other in successive tries, right?