You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Caernavon

Recent Dive Bomber Nerf Catastrophic For Midway

17 comments in this topic

[KAOS_]
Members
10 posts
6,406 battles

The recent change to the dive bomber drop reticle...combined with a much-increased dispersion of bombs....has seriously degraded my ability to actually do damage with dive bombers.

When I started playing Midway, I quickly came to the realization that dive bombers were the ship's best offensive weapon. The torpedoes are absolute garbage...even if you score six hits in a pass with them...which isn't guaranteed...it's not typically devastating to a Tier 10 vessel. Yamato, for example, laughs at the puny torpedo strikes.

The Tiny Tim rockets from the Attack Planes hit decently hard, but the planes themselves are the most fragile of all the air groups on the carrier...they get splashed quickly.

But the dive bombers? Those were precise, and they hit hard.

Now, however, they're severely weakened. Hitting a destroyer with dive bombers is extremely difficult unless the destroyer's captain is completely oblivious and sails in a straight line. I get that....Wargaming wanted to reduce their effectiveness against destroyers. Having played destroyers before the update, I can completely understand how it felt to have Midway dump four bombs on me in one salvo. But the update has had a massively deleterious effect on the ability to utilize dive bombers in general. Now, in order to score any appreciable damage, you have to have a perfect approach....either directly from the bow or the stern. Attacking a ship from the side with dive bombers is pointless. Even a modest turn by the targeted warship results in an immediate and serious degradation of the effectiveness of the air strike.

Worse yet, even if you encounter an enemy in -perfect- orientation, if the enemy is a battleship, you're going to struggle to land damaging hits. Before Wargaming made the changes, I learned to time the dive bomber drop on battleships so that the bombs would strike approximately right in the center of the battleship, right into the superstructure. The reason is that if you drop the bombs closer to the bow or the stern, they would sometimes hit the heavily-armored turrets and fail to do damage. Now, however, with the oval-shaped reticle, get used to seeing even perfectly-aimed bomb strikes bounce off of turrets. There just isn't a tight enough grouping to land the hits on spots that matter.

Before the changes, I could routinely land five to six bombs on a large target like a battleship. Even if it began an evasive turn, I could still usually score three or four hits. But now many bombs miss by a mile, and even those that hit seem to be striking heavy armor and failing MUCH more often than they used to.

Combine with that the fact that we don't have access to our legendary upgrades, and playing Midway is currently fairly frustrating.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[GWG]
Supertester
22,852 posts
12,789 battles

They don't want CV's attacking DD's with DB's. I found the change to actually be a plus when attacking cruisers and BB's as they are almost always larger than the reticle.

Members
1,728 posts
12,457 battles

I agree the DBs were way overnerfed. I have pretty much given up on the Midway and probably won’t bother with CVs anymore if the planned AA buff goes through. Might as well just delete CVs at this point...

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles
45 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They don't want CV's attacking DD's with DB's. I found the change to actually be a plus when attacking cruisers and BB's as they are almost always larger than the reticle.

Do you own a midway?   I only ask because your response does not correlate to the performance of the midway's dive bombers post nerf.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,852 posts
12,789 battles
12 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Do you own a midway?   I only ask because your response does not correlate to the performance of the midway's dive bombers post nerf.

I do have the Midway and I have found that the DB's hammer BB's and hit cruisers rather well if you get a good alignment.

[RLGN]
Members
12,043 posts
21,595 battles
9 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

For me it’s more of a matter of not caring to waste my time trying to get Midway.

WG blatantly trying to force playing into the end game carriers with biased balancing that treats those at lower tiers like red headed step children, turns me off, and I choose not to participate.

[-ARP-]
Beta Testers
153 posts
5,579 battles

The bomb dispersion is a bit much when dropping against DD's (but this can't be fixed unless WG introduces some nerfed bomb dmg vs DD's change), but it's still perfectly usable against BB's and Cruisers. Offers them a real chance to mitigate damage by going perpendicular to the bombers, and a CV can still do massive damage giving proper aiming and positioning. 

[PQUOD]
Members
3,073 posts
11,694 battles

Yes  the nerf affected the Midway's ability to destroy DD's quickly if they are at full health. I did discover I have more luck putting the elongated bomb site between the bulls eye and the leading edge of the site. Opposed to putting the crosshair directly on the DD's back.

I personally play the Lexington more since the DB nerf. I just feel like I have more fun in it currently than the Midway.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles
6 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I do have the Midway and I have found that the DB's hammer BB's and hit cruisers rather well if you get a good alignment.

Ah i see you have ten battles in it.  Were these all post nerf or pre nerf?  My experience is that the elongated bombing reticle splits the bombs half and half meaning none of your bombs actually land on the cross hair itself.  This means a few things;

1) If you attack anything that is maneuverable to turn broadside in the time it takes you to drop you are lucky to hit them with anything, and its not just dd's capable of doing this.  

2) If you drop perfectly over many BB's it places the bombs that do hit over the turrets as mentioned above.  The only way to hit the superstructure places at least half of your bombs over water either forward or aft of the ship.

3) Being forced to attack from the front or rear of even battleships makes it extremely difficult to get clear paths on ships that don't force the rest of your ships to fly through other ships aa and forces a much wider approach unless the ship is facing your planes from the start.

The Midway's dive bombers were it's bread and butter and they have been made nearly as useless as all of its other tools.   WG is simply catering to the potatoes that either refuse to or lack the mental capacity to change their tactics to play against them.  I play every ship type and class and have no issues with CV's when I am not in one., why?  Because I took the time to play one and learn its strengths and weaknesses rather than just whine about how OP they are.  If they really were that OP more people would be playing them and the average win rate for those ships would be much higher than it is.

[GWG]
Supertester
22,852 posts
12,789 battles
2 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Ah i see you have ten battles in it.  Were these all post nerf or pre nerf?  My experience is that the elongated bombing reticle splits the bombs half and half meaning none of your bombs actually land on the cross hair itself.  This means a few things;

1) If you attack anything that is maneuverable to turn broadside in the time it takes you to drop you are lucky to hit them with anything, and its not just dd's capable of doing this.  

2) If you drop perfectly over many BB's it places the bombs that do hit over the turrets as mentioned above.  The only way to hit the superstructure places at least half of your bombs over water either forward or aft of the ship.

3) Being forced to attack from the front or rear of even battleships makes it extremely difficult to get clear paths on ships that don't force the rest of your ships to fly through other ships aa and forces a much wider approach unless the ship is facing your planes from the start.

The Midway's dive bombers were it's bread and butter and they have been made nearly as useless as all of its other tools.   WG is simply catering to the potatoes that either refuse to or lack the mental capacity to change their tactics to play against them.  I play every ship type and class and have no issues with CV's when I am not in one., why?  Because I took the time to play one and learn its strengths and weaknesses rather than just whine about how OP they are.  If they really were that OP more people would be playing them and the average win rate for those ships would be much higher than it is.

I got it just before the DB change oddly I get better performance on large targets than before.

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
579 posts
4,797 battles

Gotta love how there are threads complaining that the nerf was too much popping up at the same time as threads saying that the nerf did nothing.

I figure that's as close to people admitting it's balanced as the fourm gets these days.

[LODGE]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,681 posts
4,506 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Indeed. Use rockets for those pesky dd. Dive bombers are for BB and Cruisers.

[TRIST]
Members
361 posts
2,099 battles

I mean, it's a nerf, of course it would impact your gameplay a bit. CV's are still super good and I'm looking forward to the AA changes.

[SOV]
Members
2,959 posts
32 minutes ago, AoSApocalypse said:

The bomb dispersion is a bit much when dropping against DD's (but this can't be fixed unless WG introduces some nerfed bomb dmg vs DD's change), but it's still perfectly usable against BB's and Cruisers. Offers them a real chance to mitigate damage by going perpendicular to the bombers, and a CV can still do massive damage giving proper aiming and positioning. 

Your emblem says you know what your US CV.

I csnt hit dd at all now and I could before.

[KAOS_]
Members
10 posts
6,406 battles
21 hours ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Indeed. Use rockets for those pesky dd. Dive bombers are for BB and Cruisers.

That's the point. The nerf to dive bombers didn't just degrade their effectiveness against DD's. The nerf degraded their effectiveness against everything. I recently played a game in which I attacked a Des Moines. It was not possible to get a perfect line-up for the air strike (where you're literally flying right down the length of the ship from bow to stern), but I DID manage to make two runs, each at an angle that was -close- to that. I dropped a total of 12 bombs. I got a single hit, and I lost most of the squadron in the process. The dispersion was so wild that the bombs literally landed all around the Des Moines.

Now, Des Moines isn't exactly a small target. Not the largest, I will grant you. But certainly a decently-sized ship. Dropping that many bombs and getting only one hit is an utter travesty. Even lining up an ideal strike against a battleship, I've had situations where two bombs hit heavy armor, and a third missed. When you line up a perfect drop and half of your bombs are nevertheless neutralized by the Oval Cursor God, then there may be a problem.

Before the nerf, I was pulling six-figure damage totals routinely commanding Midway. Now I struggle mightily to reach that total. In fact, I routinely do more damage in Tier VIII Massachusetts than I do in Midway. If Wargaming is going to nerf DB's this hard AND buff anti-aircraft weaponry, then I don't know what to say, except that a lot of players will leave their carriers rusting in port and switch to something else.

I mean, think about this. There are already a litany of Tier 10 ships that Midway simply cannot touch unless it wants to suffer savage plane losses. Approaching a Minotaur is usually suicide. Worcester is a plane-destroyer, too. Approaching a Des Moines is similarly unpleasant. Salem is...surprise surprise....really good at killing airplanes. And it isn't just the cruisers. Gearing has ripped my planes a new one on more than one occasion. Conquerer and Montana also have punishing AA.  But maybe I can strike at the enemy carrier at least? Ha, no...my torpedoes suck, my dive bombs won't penetrate the armored flight decks on carriers at that tier, and while I CAN hit with rockets, it's not going to be enough to come even close to sinking a carrier, and I will lose the whole squadron into the bargain.

Basically, as a CV, I am reduced to a scout (which supposedly Wargaming is also going to nerf by preventing carriers from launching as soon as the match begins), and waiting for someone to make a mistake. If an enemy ship...even one with good AA...wanders off alone, I can do damage (assuming they're not alert enough to evade my DB's and TB's). But if they stick together? There's nothing I can do. Even with the Ovenchkin commander lending extra hit points to my planes, the AA is just too punishing to do anything more than a single attack run per squadron. And right now, the only weapon Midway has that is worth anything are the rocket planes. The DB's are nearly impossible to use against someone who knows their weakness....the moment the target begins to turn, the dive bombers are severely affected. The torpedo planes are relatively easier to use, but the torps themselves could not punch a hole in the side of a wet paper bag.

It makes me wish, sometimes, that I had not spent the time and resources to research my way up to Midway.

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles

Wargaming was very strategic in how they have handled CV's.  They advertised a buyback but released ships so OP none would ever get rid of them. As soon as the option to sell them back was over they nerf'd them.  Then all the potatoes continued to complain so they nerf'd them again, still the mouth breathers complained so they nerf'd CV's again.  The best part is no matter how much you nerf CV'S the potatoes will still get focused and will still die, the complaining will not end because in the end you cannot make a terrible player good by nerfing good players, the good players will always find a way to punish the stupid ones.

Edited by HallaSnackbar
  • Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
1,437 posts
4,379 battles

Midway is straight terrible garbage right now, it has ZERO effective weapons against destroyers.

Apparently having bombs land where the crosshair is pointed is too much to ask of this game, and thats not just a Midway problem either.

GZ has a tiny little crosshair and both bombs STILL land no-where near it. 

Edited by Zenn3k