You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Oldschool_Gaming_YT

Henri IV is THE BEST ship for ranked season

62 comments in this topic

Members
671 posts
72 battles

If you are looking for a Beast of a ship to progress in Ranked in which for most cases secures the win for your team or if you loose secure you the nr1 spot on the loosing team which saves you that star.

Also the strongest ships to get Achievements in, usually netting you 3-4-5 in each game.

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,225 battles

If you're found slaking in your HIV game you will be devstruck, and as mentioned by Kuro, it lacks early game impact and it's pushing and cap contesting abilities are very lacking. 

It is a top tier potato farmer, though.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
14 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It depends.

Yes you can save a star often, but HIV lacks a lot of early game impact compared to other ships.

Bingo.  HIV relies a lot on damage over time and lacks the high impact radar of other cruisers. 

It can be a beast in the right situations and gets stronger the longer the match, but needs that extra time to do so.  It doesn't have the immediate impact ability like a well played Des Moines does.

• Cool 1

Members
6,729 posts
21,137 battles

Its a star saver. Big damage potential over time, a ship that can back its way up the xp board during the late stages of ranked play. Play it well early, wait till the fleets thin a bit and start farming.

[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,109 battles

Henri is the perfect "force multiplier" kind of ship, focus firing wins games. If you see 2 BB's dueling, and you add your Henri HE spam, that BB is toast pretty quick and your teammate still have 75% health.

[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,109 battles

I've been using her to help both caps honestly, i look to see what ships are trading blows and add my fire to "tie break"... My winrate is 73% over 12 games doing this.

[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,109 battles

Kremlin AP seems to melt Henri's by the way.. Anyone know why? Especially when the Henri is facing away at a slight angle, more so then a Montana.

is it purely higher pen alpha?

Edited by HorrorRoach

[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,109 battles
3 minutes ago, nastydamnanimal said:

It's a bullshyt save a star ship. You will eventually have to fight cowards.

The thing is chubby and not the most maneuverable... BB's don't have anything to lose shooting at it, same with Stalingrad's. It eats full pens like crazy sometimes. Must be played near it's max range, sailing broadside is suicide

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,225 battles
4 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Kremlin AP seems to melt Henri's by the way.. Anyone know why? Especially when the Henri is facing away at a slight angle, more so then a Montana.

is it purely higher pen alpha?

It's the special midrange accuracy with the overmatch and high alpha pen. The kreml does that to all cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
601 posts
7,497 battles

Kremlin doesnt over match cruiser anymore than montana.  Just angle and you will be fine.  I love the henri as you can hold off ~2 bb pushes by yourself very easily, and tie them up for the team to hopefully win the other flank.  If they don't at least you will have stacked enough damage to save a star.

• Meh 1

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,599 battles

Just going to throw this out there.

Too many are putting a premium on picking a ship that can save a star.  You are playing a defensive strategy, pick a ship that you play well that has more impact at all times in the game.  You will win more, which means you need to worry less about star saving.

Sure there might be a Henri, but that dude is allowed to live so long as his position is usually irrelevant to the enemy winning the game.

• Cool 5

[WOLF7]
Members
12,599 posts

Competent player posts stuff, thinking that somehow, the average player in this game will be able to do the same..:Smile_sceptic:

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,572 battles

The nice thing about the 6-10 bracket is there are so many potatoes that a good Henri player can farm/wreck that it's not even that bad of a ship.

Members
671 posts
72 battles
2 hours ago, Th3KrimzonD3mon said:

The 5 HIV's I've devstruck already this season would like a word with you on this matter.

Seriosly? Where they disconnected or just rentals?

Sure, there is also the huge "T10 Potatoe player" effect....

2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It depends.

Yes you can save a star often, but HIV lacks a lot of early game impact compared to other ships.

How so? A DD gets spotted? I activate my reload booster and pump out 20-25 Alpha damage in a couple of seconds, usually DDs dont even have the time to stop in their smokes. And if a BB gets spotted I can engage directly with massiva firespam while kiting away to my max range. I wait to he repairs the first 2 fires and then I activate reload booster and I get 2-3 perma fires. That guy wont be pushing more this game.

So I cant really see your point.

1 hour ago, PG908 said:

If you're found slaking in your HIV game you will be devstruck, and as mentioned by Kuro, it lacks early game impact and it's pushing and cap contesting abilities are very lacking. 

It is a top tier potato farmer, though.

I actually find my latest 265, 275, 284k damage games pretty relaxing in the Henri. Mush more so then any other ship i manage to get a high damage number.

1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Bingo.  HIV relies a lot on damage over time and lacks the high impact radar of other cruisers. 

It can be a beast in the right situations and gets stronger the longer the match, but needs that extra time to do so.  It doesn't have the immediate impact ability like a well played Des Moines does.

My experience is that those radarcruisers pushing the caps at the start to have that immediate impact are usually the first to die as well.

1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

Henri is the perfect "force multiplier" kind of ship, focus firing wins games. If you see 2 BB's dueling, and you add your Henri HE spam, that BB is toast pretty quick and your teammate still have 75% health.

This is my axperience as well, just a few matches ago I had 2 BBs in a Mexican stand off with 2 enemy BBs on Tears of the cruisers, nothing happened, they traded chip damage, then my Henri showed up and burned them down...

1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

The thing is chubby and not the most maneuverable... BB's don't have anything to lose shooting at it, same with Stalingrad's. It eats full pens like crazy sometimes. Must be played near it's max range, sailing broadside is suicide

Well, they usually loose damage, been tanking 3,5 million damage in this ship and survived. Thats 3,5 million damage lost bu the enemy team and their BBs. And you never have to sail broadside if you have good positioning. Just park at a 12% angke and get all turrets to bear on the enemy and then just play a bit with your throttle.

Members
671 posts
72 battles
30 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Competent player posts stuff, thinking that somehow, the average player in this game will be able to do the same..:Smile_sceptic:

I may be just a tad above average, but there is minimal skill required to do this, just positioning. Look at my other games, Its not really a genius playing, im sitting and spamming, using the ships strenght against the enemy.

I pretty much use the same tactic in all matches, and I dont even break a sweat. And just 6-7 weeks ago I just had the T7 Allgerie. So I dont have that much experience playing these ships.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
15,874 posts
12,803 battles
1 hour ago, mixmkz said:

Kremlin doesnt over match cruiser anymore than montana.  Just angle and you will be fine.  I love the henri as you can hold off ~2 bb pushes by yourself very easily, and tie them up for the team to hopefully win the other flank.  If they don't at least you will have stacked enough damage to save a star.

yes it does.

Yamato, Republique and Kremlin (and 457mm conkek) all overmatch HIV perfectly fine.

• Cool 1

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles
30 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

How so? A DD gets spotted? I activate my reload booster and pump out 20-25 Alpha damage in a couple of seconds, usually DDs dont even have the time to stop in their smokes. And if a BB gets spotted I can engage directly with massiva firespam while kiting away to my max range. I wait to he repairs the first 2 fires and then I activate reload booster and I get 2-3 perma fires. That guy wont be pushing more this game.

So I cant really see your point.

The point is pretty simple, a smart DD will see you miles away, then just position creating space from you, angle away and reverse into whatever.  HIV shells beyond 12km are among the lowest threat to me of all the CA.  Right there with DM but better than Worcester and Mino.  That’s not saying much.  If you are close enough to a similar skilled DD you are in jeopardy of getting nuked yourself by his support.

Zao and Moskva are much better at shooting DDs.

If a BB throws his ship away over extending its easy for everyone to farm them.  In the meanwhile your DDs have no support on caps, a Henri is never going to provide AA for DDs to protect them while they cap, I could go on.  Henri has many holes that make her balanced and not the ultimate carry machine.

You might do a lot of damage, might save a lot of stars, but at the end of the day you are relying on the 6 other ships to live long enough to be effective.  That’s my point.

• Cool 3

Members
630 posts
3 hours ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

If you are looking for a Beast of a ship to progress in Ranked in which for most cases secures the win for your team or if you loose secure you the nr1 spot on the loosing team which saves you that star.

Also the strongest ships to get Achievements in, usually netting you 3-4-5 in each game.

Just yesterday, I had two Hank4s, a Daring and a Shima trying like hell to get my Des Moines off a cap. I had only one HIV with me in support. 

The Shima eventually got me off the cap, but all 4 of the enemy ships went down in the process.

You may keep your Frenchmen, good sir. Bonne chance!

Members
630 posts
45 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Zao and Moskva are much better at shooting DDs.

Just kurious, Kuro, but should that actually read something like, "Zao and Moskva are much better at shooting DDs from better than 12km away"?

When you're up close and personal, don't you find a DM to be a greater threat because of the ROF?

[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,109 battles

i'm getting better at potshotting DD's in henri above 12km. 

That is REALLY SATISFYING, you have to lead like crazy though. I swung a few clan battles anticipating where close to dead scurrying DD's were going to go as they run away under focus fire.A lot of DD players tend to straighten out when they feel safe, LOL. just because we can't see you doesn't mean you aren't predictable, bad luck will getcha eventually.

[CVLUL]
3,459 posts
13,599 battles
5 minutes ago, Grflrgl said:

Just kurious, Kuro, but should that actually read something like, "Zao and Moskva are much better at shooting DDs from better than 12km away"?

When you're up close and personal, don't you find a DM to be a greater threat because of the ROF?

The threat depends on the range.

Worcester and Mino under 9km.

DM to about 10km.

Everything else beyond 12km.  Zao is the nastiest, followed by Moskva and Hindenburg.  Alpha is the threat against good DD players, you dont have much time in general for DPM to really take effect.