You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Oldsarge_1

Forgiveness option

73 comments in this topic

[1-]
Beta Testers
83 posts
7,596 battles

I would like to see an option to forgive a friendly captain that accidentally damages your ship.

My last match the enemy was in our cap two bbs and a destroyer.  I was on the way and engaged by the two bbs so thats where my concentration was.  I killed the first bb and was about to drop my remaining torpedoes on the other I when I was destroyed by friendly torpedoes.  Since the enemy dds torpedoes were visible I thought the portside warning I was hearing were the enemy torps I was avoiding when I died to a friendly dds torps. 

I checked the ingame chat and he did warn me his torps were coming but in the heat of the fight I never saw the message.  Under those circumstances it would be nice to have the option to forgive the damage and prevent the friendly captain from turning pink.

• Cool 20
  • Boring 3

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles

Especially in co-op when a bot dodges one or more of your torps (as they so often do, right at the last second) and a friendly collects them at the end of the run.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[CTF38]
[CTF38]
Members
4,535 posts
14,001 battles

This is an idea worth exploring by WG.  It worked well in America's Army, and there is no reason to think it wouldn't work here.

[CNO]
Members
6,076 posts
18,538 battles
18 minutes ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

I checked the ingame chat and he did warn me his torps were coming but in the heat of the fight I never saw the message.  Under those circumstances it would be nice to have the option to forgive the damage and prevent the friendly captain from turning pink.

I have thought this through, and at first blush agreed with having this capability.  But after thinking about how it could be abused, I have changed my mind.  The biggest concern is the player now EXPECTS to be forgiven because it was YOUR FAULT!  Now, they might still have this feeling as the game exists today, but considering there is nothing that can be done, it ends at that.  But if a forgiveness option exists, and is not executed (either via indifference or conscious effort) it now becomes the second thorn in an already irate player.

Pink really isn't a big deal in this game for those who occasionally find themselves in the accidental situation.  It only becomes a big deal for repeat offenders.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

-Members-
272 posts
3,291 battles

16 minutes ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

I would like to see an option to forgive a friendly captain that accidentally damages your ship.

My last match the enemy was in our cap two bbs and a destroyer.  I was on the way and engaged by the two bbs so thats where my concentration was.  I killed the first bb and was about to drop my remaining torpedoes on the other I when I was destroyed by friendly torpedoes.  Since the enemy dds torpedoes were visible I thought the portside warning I was hearing were the enemy torps I was avoiding when I died to a friendly dds torps. 

The concept is interesting. How would you execute it? Would it be an in-game function where, after you are hit/sunk, you have x amount of time to hit a certain key? Or do you have a different idea @Oldsage_1?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Perhaps add a Forgive option on the Compliment menu?  if the player uses this on a friendly player, any friendly fire penalty to them is wiped out?  If none is present, perhaps it just counts as a compliment then?

If it only appears when friendly damage has been taken, even better.  Should not count towards your limit though in this case.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

Honestly, of all the things that need work in this game, a stupid meaningless pink is your concern?:Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
711 posts
29,843 battles

The person that damages a friendly should not have the ability to report the person they damaged if the person doesn’t forgive them. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
9,855 battles

This has been brought up here many times before.. and I agree in concept, but it could lead to players being trolled in chat and by PM's for NOT forgiving them..

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,394 posts
37 minutes ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

I asked about this when I first got here.  Got flamed for it but I will say it again.

IT IS AN EASY ADD!  They are just too lazy!   Go play MANY other FPS games and there is a Punish or forgive option .  They just don't want to do it.

Col out

Edited by Col_Nasty

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,394 posts
7 minutes ago, StrykerNC said:

This has been brought up here many times before.. and I agree in concept, but it could lead to players being trolled in chat and by PM's for NOT forgiving them..

You get trolled in chat by these keyboard thugletts just for logging on.  Making a left instead of a right , sinking that BB and not the DD....the list is long.  So who cares?

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,180 battles

@BTed72 It would be fine for the player to forgive the offender but not for the TD/TK/unsporting conduct pink warning and or brown co op only restriction to be forgiven.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,446 posts
42 minutes ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

This is a great idea.

But, be prepared to be griefed and belittled by a subset of the forum pop who will wail in moral outrage at anything that dares question the "always the firer's fault" platitudes regarding team damage. 

• Boring 1

[OGRES]
[OGRES]
Beta Testers
683 posts
18,428 battles
45 minutes ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

I am down for this I know many times that I have been hit by friendly torps it was only because the friendly was trying to save me.  In those instances I would definitely like to have the ability to forgive other then telling them no problem in chat when they apologize.

Members
1,374 posts

Forgiveness option is ok as long as there is a 

Fire and Brimstone Option!

- Double the time for Pink

- Pink Games in Randumb aboard Kryspey Krem

- Fireworks Sprewing out of stack for entire game. 

• Funny 2

[SWOLF]
Members
276 posts
2,334 battles
36 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Perhaps add a Forgive option on the Compliment menu?  if the player uses this on a friendly player, any friendly fire penalty to them is wiped out?  If none is present, perhaps it just counts as a compliment then?

If it only appears when friendly damage has been taken, even better.  Should not count towards your limit though in this case.

Don't even need an explicit "Forgive" option. If you compliment the player who caused damage to you, the penalty is waived or limited forex, you could have them still pay the EXP/Credit penalty, but void everything else.

Members
2,139 posts
6,388 battles

If you don't have the shot don't fire the WEAPON this is a basic fundamental of the game. Made a mistake and we all do wear your pink proudly and move on.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,446 posts
6 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

If you don't have the shot don't fire the WEAPON this is a basic fundamental of the game. Made a mistake and we all do wear your pink proudly and move on.

And here we go with the platitudes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[WOLFG]
Members
10,655 posts
9,872 battles
51 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I have thought this through, and at first blush agreed with having this capability.  But after thinking about how it could be abused, I have changed my mind.  The biggest concern is the player now EXPECTS to be forgiven because it was YOUR FAULT!  Now, they might still have this feeling as the game exists today, but considering there is nothing that can be done, it ends at that.  But if a forgiveness option exists, and is not executed (either via indifference or conscious effort) it now becomes the second thorn in an already irate player.

Pink really isn't a big deal in this game for those who occasionally find themselves in the accidental situation.  It only becomes a big deal for repeat offenders.

While I would use a forgiveness option, I have to agree it would likely cause more salt, not less.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
1 hour ago, Oldsarge_1 said:

Was that me that torped u? I hit a guy today after warning and pinging, then warning again after he charged the enemy, which was just after I'd fired the torps. Unlucky timing...

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
20 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

2 BBs heading head on. I instructed mine to stop. He stopped. I then fired torps and let him know that torps were incoming towards the enemy. Shortly thereafter, he decided to full steam ahead towards the enemy again. I warned and pinged to no avail. The guy turned INTO my torps.

Who's fault is that? I was blamed though lol.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,574 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Honestly, of all the things that need work in this game, a stupid meaningless pink is your concern?:Smile_facepalm:

49 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

You get trolled in chat by these keyboard thugletts just for logging on.  Making a left instead of a right , sinking that BB and not the DD....the list is long.  So who cares?

44 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

This is a great idea.

But, be prepared to be griefed and belittled by a subset of the forum pop who will wail in moral outrage at anything that dares question the "always the firer's fault" platitudes regarding team damage. 

18 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

While I would use a forgiveness option, I have to agree it would likely cause more salt, not less.

What if I don't want to be forgiven … 

Takes all the fun out of friendly fire :)

Edited by Commander_367

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles
4 minutes ago, Nato101 said:

2 BBs heading head on. I instructed mine to stop. He stopped. I then fired torps and let him know that torps were incoming towards the enemy. Shortly thereafter, he decided to full steam ahead towards the enemy again. I warned and pinged to no avail. The guy turned INTO my torps.

Who's fault is that? I was blamed though lol.

He might have thought the torp threat was over if a bit of time had elapsed.  That's the problem with any warnings.  Some players expect that the warning is for torps that are there right now, not ones that might show up 30 seconds later.  That is why it is always on the person launching the torps.  They are the only ones that can truely stop friendly damage, because they can analyse the situation and not fire the torps if there is a potential problem.

A forgive option would be nice for instances where a person knows the hit was really accidental.  Most are accidental even though they are done because the launching ship was not paying attention or didn't care.  There would be an expectation of forgiveness on most instances.  I'm not sure it would be given and could cause additional animosity.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
10,655 posts
9,872 battles
12 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

What if I don't want to be forgiven … 

Takes all the fun out of friendly fire :)

Hey, WG can't please everyone.

• Funny 1