You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

CV DB Citadels - question

15 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,103 posts

So I'm curious as to why citadels from a CV's dive bombers don't do as much damage as say surface ships main guns. If you reach the citadel with explosives, odds are great it won't be a good day for the surface ship. 

Has anyone done a comparison in terms of damage? 

Just asking as it's morning, I'm having coffee and of course, as always, I'm curious. tiafyc

• Boring 1

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So I'm curious as to why citadels from a CV's dive bombers don't do as much damage as say surface ships main guns. If you reach the citadel with explosives, odds are great it won't be a good day for the surface ship. 

Just asking as it's morning, I'm having coffee and of course, as always, I'm curious. tiafyc

the damage is depend on how much explosion the armor piercing bomb has. Small bombs tends to not do more damage than a single cruiser  8" shell or so in a citadel hit.

[BS]
Members
1,988 posts
11,122 battles

You don't need as much explosive when it goes off inside a ship... Put a firecracker inside of an ant colony and those poor little tunnels everywhere are going to get blown out LOL.... The air velocity increases due to the laws of pressure etc.

I think AP bombs should do more damage, but CV's would be way too powerful.

[SYN]
Members
15,875 posts
12,803 battles

because you're probably playing Ryujo, where there is still some semblance of balance.

Enterprise and Hakuryu AP bombs are insane and can easily delete cruisers within 3mins of the beginning of the match.

And no, not some garbage bottom tier cruiser either, but tier 10 cruisers.

Edited by MrDeaf

[CNO]
Members
6,078 posts
18,552 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Look at the max AP bomb damage. That's the cit damage.

One reason for the difference is balance.  A good CV captain can pretty much drop an AP bomb dead center on a ship.  Ship defensive maneuvering can help a little, but that drop is still happening from point blank range and (if it hits) is going to penetrate (overpen, pen, or cit).  In some instances, they can turn around and do it again in a few seconds...and AGAIN a third time.

My main experience is Enterprise SBDs.  And their AP cit (I think it's about 5K) can really wreak.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,103 posts
2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

because you're probably playing Ryujo, where there is still some semblance of balance.

Enterprise and Hakuryu AP bombs are insane and can easily delete cruisers within 3mins of the beginning of the match.

And no, not some garbage bottom tier cruiser either, but tier 10 cruisers.

I played one match in her this morning but believe it or not, I got the citadels using my RN carrier. Yup. Very strange. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,103 posts
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

One reason for the difference is balance.  A good CV captain can pretty much drop an AP bomb dead center on a ship.  Ship defensive maneuvering can help a little, but that drop is still happening from point blank range and (if it hits) is going to penetrate (overpen, pen, or cit).  In some instances, they can turn around and do it again in a few seconds...and AGAIN a third time.

My main experience is Enterprise SBDs.  And their AP cit (I think it's about 5K) can really wreak.

Yes... I want one premium carrier and right now it's between a known quantity (Big E or an IJN) and an unknown quantity, the Big Eye from the RN. 

[CNO]
Members
6,078 posts
18,552 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes... I want one premium carrier and right now it's between a known quantity (Big E or an IJN) and an unknown quantity, the Big Eye from the RN. 

Here's the Big E.  Seven cits.  Each one max damage is 5900.  That's roughly 40K if all damage is applied.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,223 posts
24,629 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Don't be too sold on a particular carrier going by today's game.  Even in the CV Rework things have changed so much and there's no telling what's going to happen in the future.

Go ahead and get what you want, but just remember it can change overnight in one patch.  Big time.  Ask the Graf Zeppelin guys.

The safer investment is working the tech tree Carriers where you can get them for free.  There are still some great ones out there.  Nobody wants to deal with the Tier X Carriers attacking them.  In Tier VIII, IMO Lexington is "The Standard" other Tier VIII Carriers are compared to, and is a very solid CV there.  Which is kind of funny if anyone is familiar with Lexington's history in WoWS :Smile_trollface:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,103 posts
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The safer investment is working the tech tree Carriers where you can get them for free.  There are still some great ones out there.  Nobody wants to deal with the Tier X Carriers attacking them.  In Tier VIII, IMO Lexington is "The Standard" other Tier VIII Carriers are compared to, and is a very solid CV there.  Which is kind of funny if anyone is familiar with Lexington's history in WoWS

Thanks... I actually ground my way through all three nations (USN, IJN then RN). All the way through tier X. 

I posted somewhere the changes have made Tier VI the best carrier tier to play. I can stand up-tiered to VIII, but an VIII up-tiered to X, no thanks. 

They also proposed those changes to queuing...  Tier VI is really the best carrier tier right now. 

I admit another payday has come and gone (today) and no purchase has been made. The way the talk is going on about the changes to AA(A) likely for 0.8.5, it might weeks or months before I purchase a carrier. 

If ever. :cap_cool:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,223 posts
24,629 battles
6 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Thanks... I actually ground my way through all three nations (USN, IJN then RN). All the way through tier X. 

I posted somewhere the changes have made Tier VI the best carrier tier to play. I can stand up-tiered to VIII, but an VIII up-tiered to X, no thanks. 

They also proposed those changes to queuing...  Tier VI is really the best carrier tier right now. 

I admit another payday has come and gone (today) and no purchase has been made. The way the talk is going on about the changes to AA(A) likely for 0.8.5, it might weeks or months before I purchase a carrier. 

If ever. :cap_cool:

All my Carriers, apart from the RN CVs and Graf Zeppelin, I attained from before the Rework.  Hell, I miss Taiho.

If in doubt, hold back on spending.  The CV Rework has been wild and inconsistent even for the Carriers.  Again, ask how the Graf Zeppelin players feel right now.  Even the GZ players that got her AFTER the Rework.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,776 posts
712 battles
10 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes by all means let's buff the damage of the units that can attack without ever actually being in any danger of counterattack themselves.

How about this. Increase damage of citadel AP bombs by 10% when you reduce plane health by 50% and can't just 3D print new ones. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,103 posts
16 minutes ago, ramp4ge said:

Yes by all means let's buff the damage of the units that can attack without ever actually being in any danger of counterattack themselves.

How about this. Increase damage of citadel AP bombs by 10% when you reduce plane health by 50% and can't just 3D print new ones. 

How about the proposed changes to AA(A) wherein an employee states the SKILL aspect of AA(A) won't be in aiming but rather avoiding. Plus the changes coming to 0.8.5 currently being tested that focuses all AA(A) on one plane at a time, right. 

They will have to do something with plane damage ability or their grand experiment will rot on the ground. 

Watch. You will see. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,618 battles

AP bombs on Ryujou and Hoshou are too unreliable to be used, unlike those on Shoukaku and Hakuryu (that suddently becomes OP right after the HE DB nerf).

And tbh,  if I look at Haku AP cit, which deal 8.5k, it is enough. If you give more damage it can easily becomes retarded. AP bombs are balanced around the fact if you only score pen because RNG said no, then your drop will definitely be weaker than a USN DB drop (which can also start fire).

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles
On 6/7/2019 at 8:26 AM, Soshi_Sone said:

SB2C. She has Helldivers, not Dauntless.