Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_TrashPanda

Gearing captain and upgrade help

9 comments in this topic

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
15,939 battles

Preventative Maintenance

Last Stand

Survivability Expert

Concealment

RPF

Your choice for the last one. Most probably take Superintendent. But the above five are essential for CBs and ranked.

I don't care for the legendary. I run torp reload. And then the rest are the obvious DD picks.

I run the 10.5 for ranked. I ran the 16s for clan battles.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,592 battles
8 hours ago, LittleBush said:

What is a good 19 point captain build captain build for the gearing plus the upgrades for it? For like ranked and clan battles?

I have used a lot of different builds in the past, I have 4 19 point captains on my Gearing simply because CUTER has me drag it out so often and I got tired of paying for every little tweak.  That said the first build on the list is probably my most favorite.  Its really good for 90% of the situations you face.

This build gives you a lot of smoke, like vape nation levels of smoke, with SI you have a lot of them to use for team mates, or yourself.  There are some minor tweaks that dont cost much to change between Clan Battles and Ranked.  Clan Battles I run EBM1 to offset Gearing being a slow boat, it helps a lot in getting around or keeping up with faster CAs (obviously only if I am running engine boost and not defensive fire).  Having four long duration boosts is really nice.  If running DF and not boost I will use DAAFM1 or PM1 for extra engine durability.

The guns I feel are accurate enough I dont take ASM1 nearly as often preferring the extra 9 seconds of smoke deployment from SGM1, though in a King of the Sea/Ranked environment I might run AAGM1 for the extra flak but I'm not 100% sold on it being the best.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11111&upgrades=144223&commander=PCW001&skills=3223502850&ar=100&consumables=111&lang=en

Torp wise I am almost always running 10.5km torps.  I like the reload and the extra alpha.  I only trot out the 16.5km torps when running the below torp build, or if I am slaved to a CA playing smoke [edited].  When I am I simply dont have the freedom to maneuver into good torp ranges, and I begin to look at longer range/cross map drops on targets angling at different team mates to create a cross fire, that means mounting the 16.5km torps on the above build.

Gearing Torp build is the only time I run TA on a US DD captain, again use the above practice when running engine boost or DF as a guide for which upgrades you load into battle with:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11211&upgrades=144223&commander=PCW001&skills=3221653506&consumables=222&lang=en

When AA is really needed, note PM1 is used to try to keep my engine together as much as possible to save my DCP:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11211&upgrades=124223&commander=PCW001&skills=2685567490&consumables=224&lang=en

The last captain is a full gun build, but since Daring and Harugumo came out I dont run that captain and it might get reassigned.

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,225 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I have used a lot of different builds in the past, I have 4 19 point captains on my Gearing simply because CUTER has me drag it out so often and I got tired of paying for every little tweak.  That said the first build on the list is probably my most favorite.  Its really good for 90% of the situations you face.

This build gives you a lot of smoke, like vape nation levels of smoke, with SI you have a lot of them to use for team mates, or yourself.  There are some minor tweaks that dont cost much to change between Clan Battles and Ranked.  Clan Battles I run EBM1 to offset Gearing being a slow boat, it helps a lot in getting around or keeping up with faster CAs (obviously only if I am running engine boost and not defensive fire).  Having four long duration boosts is really nice.  If running DF and not boost I will use DAAFM1 or PM1 for extra engine durability.

The guns I feel are accurate enough I dont take ASM1 nearly as often preferring the extra 9 seconds of smoke deployment from SGM1, though in a King of the Sea/Ranked environment I might run AAGM1 for the extra flak but I'm not 100% sold on it being the best.

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11111&upgrades=144223&commander=PCW001&skills=3223502850&ar=100&consumables=111&lang=en

Torp wise I am almost always running 10.5km torps.  I like the reload and the extra alpha.  I only trot out the 16.5km torps when running the below torp build, or if I am slaved to a CA playing smoke [edited].  When I am I simply dont have the freedom to maneuver into good torp ranges, and I begin to look at longer range/cross map drops on targets angling at different team mates to create a cross fire, that means mounting the 16.5km torps on the above build.

Gearing Torp build is the only time I run TA on a US DD captain, again use the above practice when running engine boost or DF as a guide for which upgrades you load into battle with:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11211&upgrades=144223&commander=PCW001&skills=3221653506&consumables=222&lang=en

When AA is really needed, note PM1 is used to try to keep my engine together as much as possible to save my DCP:

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD013&modules=11211&upgrades=124223&commander=PCW001&skills=2685567490&consumables=224&lang=en

The last captain is a full gun build, but since Daring and Harugumo came out I dont run that captain and it might get reassigned.

Excellent build advice, although for clan wars purposes you generally see legendary mod gearings, which is only really ever used for that purpose. I cannot advise running ifhe on a gearing, as it gets you HE pens of cruiser bow and sterns, but that's really not worthwhile (it is worthwhile on say, a khaba, for maximum russian bias). 

It also really cannot be understated how valuable the extended speed boost is on literally any destroyer. Slot 2 has very little of value, while extra speed is basically cocaine for your DD. 

Lastly, the gearing's midsection has 21mm plating, which shatters 127mm high explosive shells (but not 128mm+). It's getting increasingly less relevant with the new releases, though, but it's still good to know. 

Members
26 posts
6,102 battles
17 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Thank you for your input, I really like the 1st build you suggested and i think that's the one i will do for my gearing. Also sub to your channel it looks helpful

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,592 battles
22 hours ago, PG908 said:

Excellent build advice, although for clan wars purposes you generally see legendary mod gearings, which is only really ever used for that purpose. I cannot advise running ifhe on a gearing, as it gets you HE pens of cruiser bow and sterns, but that's really not worthwhile (it is worthwhile on say, a khaba, for maximum russian bias). 

It also really cannot be understated how valuable the extended speed boost is on literally any destroyer. Slot 2 has very little of value, while extra speed is basically cocaine for your DD. 

Lastly, the gearing's midsection has 21mm plating, which shatters 127mm high explosive shells (but not 128mm+). It's getting increasingly less relevant with the new releases, though, but it's still good to know. 

I disliked legendary upgrade on Gearing.

At first glance its not too obnoxious and more concealment is always better.  Issues arrived when I started looking at what I can and can’t engage.  Most Hurricane level Shima players can beat a LU Gearing that is not gun spec.  That means TTM3 is being replaced by reload.

Torps are where the damage really gets done however since you lose 5% running the LU, plus an additional 15% on your torps with the loss of TTM3.  The numbers look like this:

My build:  90 second torp reload, 3 second gun reload at 5.9km concealment 4 consumables 

My build with LU:  94 second torp reload, 3.4 second gun reload at 5.61km concealment, 4 consumables 

LU with gun spec and SI:  111 second torp reload, 3 second gun reload at 5.61km concealment, 4 consumables

The only potential interest I would have willingly running LU would give up SI for TAE. It looks like this:

100 second torp reload, 3 second gun reload, at 5.61km concealment, with 3 consumables.

Note all torp times are 10.5km, times are longer for 16.5km option.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Sign in to follow this