You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How To Evade AA Fire?

15 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
3,557 posts
8,278 battles

Even though I am still practicing in co-op, I find that whenever I take out my Enterprise or Saipan and face some ship with decent AA (a North Carolina), I cannot seem to both keep on target and keep my planes alive. And oftentimes I lose a bunch of planes when I turn around for a second attack.

I try to avoid the black clouds and shift around somewhat, but otherwise I am quite stumped on the mechanics of AA and how to avoid them when attacking (yes, I am aware of the leap-frogging method with dive bombers, but that's about it).

Any advice on how to avoid AA (apart from not entering AA range)? I am still quite unfamiliar with the new AA mechanics, so any advice would be helpful.

[PQUOD]
Members
3,085 posts
11,714 battles

When approaching ships that have really good AA, especially in higher tiers. It is a good idea if the ship is full health to make a dry drop in advance before approaching the ship or ships. This will keep you from running  into a deficit with your planes at the start of a match.

A alternative would be to let your teammates soften them up some. Usually ships that have a portion of their health depleted will have had some of their AA capabilities diminished. Making them more approachable by your planes. 

[RLGN]
Members
12,054 posts
21,616 battles
10 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

A alternative would be to let your teammates soften them up some. Usually ships that have a portion of their health depleted will have had some of their AA capabilities diminished. Making them more approachable by your planes. 

Yep; ye ‘olde ‘fly around and do jack but scouting for half a game, praying your team isn’t complete idiots’ tactic.

However legitimate doing so may be; it doesn’t make things any less boring for the carrier.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
3,085 posts
11,714 battles
23 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yep; ye ‘olde ‘fly around and do jack but scouting for half a game, praying your team isn’t complete idiots’ tactic.

However legitimate doing so may be; it doesn’t make things any less boring for the carrier.

I know, I do it too. Especially if bottom tiered. Pretty much spotting and if a DD breaks away from the pack might can attack them. At least early warning for your team mates of it's whereabouts. If the DD is +2 tiers there is the possibility it may wipe your squadron as well. Just have to have a idea about where it's safe to fly and where to avoid.

Members
3,667 posts
7,197 battles

Not playing CVs :Smile-_tongue:

Another thing to keep in mind is the priority sector of AA fire. Usually when a match starts, surface ships pick a flank and prioritize their AA fire toward the enemy spawn. By picking unusual routes I've had significant success with my ranger even when striking targets with overwhelming AA, like Gneisenau, Kutuzov, Massachusetts, etc. 

Ever since the CV rework, terrain is no longer the friend of surface ships, but an obstacle for your AA fire, striking enemies hugging the island and emerge and disappear around mountain lines have saved my squadrons more than once.

Another way to conserve planes is to prioritize on enemies that is in a firefight with a friendly. AA mounts gets taken out in droves by HE, and by adding salt to their injury you force them into a tough spot: eat your damage, or show the friendlies a flat broadside. Especially with the new soviet battleship line that encourages aggressive, even reckless plays, such targets are increasingly abundant.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,086 posts

Fly RN carriers as they are the best at taking a beating and keep on ticking... As others have suggested, attack from unexpected directions. Know also the maximum range at which you can start the run to target, as the inbound AA(A) is very weak in the run in to target when compared to just flying in/at a target at regular altitudes/attitudes. 

For example, on a RN carrier, I typically will start the bomb attack around 5.x km out. 

[KRAK]
Members
1,128 posts
13,425 battles
On 6/7/2019 at 2:30 AM, xTheDesertFox said:

YW

Is there a video on how launch torps better than WGs ? I average about 3K damage per game in Furious, mostly shot down right after a miss.

[5D]
Members
851 posts
10,493 battles
5 hours ago, Ericson38 said:

Is there a video on how launch torps better than WGs ? I average about 3K damage per game in Furious, mostly shot down right after a miss.

I think you should go back to t4 to learn how to lead the torp , all rn play the same , if you only do 3k DMG a game you do something wrong or haven understand the base mechanics

[KRAK]
Members
1,128 posts
13,425 battles

I suck, that is for sure. At Furious now, and teams are Furious with my performance. Do most damage as a spotter and end of CV AA plane kills. Every ship out there can easily dodge the torps.

[D-H-O]
Members
43 posts
1,195 battles
1 hour ago, Ericson38 said:

I suck, that is for sure. At Furious now, and teams are Furious with my performance. Do most damage as a spotter and end of CV AA plane kills. Every ship out there can easily dodge the torps.

Do you have torp acceleration on your captain?

[AMWKS]
Modder
323 posts
4,400 battles
On 6/6/2019 at 11:00 PM, Avenge_December_7 said:

Even though I am still practicing in co-op, I find that whenever I take out my Enterprise or Saipan and face some ship with decent AA (a North Carolina), I cannot seem to both keep on target and keep my planes alive. And oftentimes I lose a bunch of planes when I turn around for a second attack.

I try to avoid the black clouds and shift around somewhat, but otherwise I am quite stumped on the mechanics of AA and how to avoid them when attacking (yes, I am aware of the leap-frogging method with dive bombers, but that's about it).

Any advice on how to avoid AA (apart from not entering AA range)? I am still quite unfamiliar with the new AA mechanics, so any advice would be helpful.

The biggest mistake I see people make is with the 180 turn for a second drop.  The flak bursts predict your current path and send the bursts to that area.  It takes into account for both speed and direction.  After you apply the brakes to make your turn tighter, you'll eventually reach your slowest cruising speed, and you'll be full over.  That's when you're not altering either your speed or turn.  And that's when you eat flak at an alarming rate.  That's what minces your planes more than anything.  Not the continuous AA damage, but the flak burst.  You want to always be varying your speed if you're going into a hard turn.

You can have a look at some of my vids on Twitch.  I've been mostly a carrier main since the rework.  There's plenty of footage of my Enterprise and Saipan games.  You'll get a good idea of how I'm approaching targets for a bomb or top drop.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,128 posts
13,425 battles

OK. Also, is torp acceleration a good thing to have ? I heard some say it was not a good skill, considering..... ?

The brakes are just the S key I take it. W key for accel.

Out of maybe 10 torp runs per game, 80% miss by inches it seems.

I think about 70% of the time there is no second drop, typically no planes in formation after 1st drop.

Edited by Ericson38

Members
70 posts
651 battles
41 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

OK. Also, is torp acceleration a good thing to have ? I heard some say it was not a good skill, considering..... ?

The brakes are just the S key I take it. W key for accel.

Out of maybe 10 torp runs per game, 80% miss by inches it seems.

I think about 70% of the time there is no second drop, typically no planes in formation after 1st drop.

Yes, having torpedo acceleration is helpful. The brakes and acceleration don't affect the torpedoes since all torpedo bombers have similar arming distances. The faster the torpedo goes through the water to the target, the better. It is much easier to dodge torpedoes that go slower in the water. Based on what you said, having the torpedo acceleration would definitely help you with your attack runs. I don't currently have the skill on my American captain and my accuracy with the torpedoes are much lower than my Japanese captain that has the skill.