Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ocklawaha

In defense of Rentals in Ranked(Hear me out)

17 comments in this topic

[MEMO]
[MEMO]
Beta Testers
18 posts
5,977 battles

I know the title seems like click bait but honest hear me out. This threw me off big time. I "was" whole heart anti-rental ships in ranked. I'm sure other people are the same way "what the hell Wargaming what are you doing!" So I was shooting the $hit this afternoon with my clan commander. He tells me hey I got a new guy join other night. Nothing new there, always enjoy hearing the story on the new people. He tells me to look at his profile and look at his tier 10 ships. He had several of my favorite tens. He said guess what hes using in ranked. I figured Des Moines his most played ship. Nope. Then what? Rental. I told my commander bull$hit. He sold all of his tier 10s for credits. He has been using the rentals in ranked. So my commander says guess what rank he is. I responded with my rank because its a place to start 10. He responds go lower. So hes rank 8? No try 5. Believe it or not this fella has been using a rental ship in ranked and reached rank 5. 

After I had the conversation I felt like an [edited]after criticizing rentals in ranked. I know alot of the players in rentals probably shouldn't be there but we as a community shouldn't lump everyone into one label. There are a few great players in rentals. Those few are lost in the anti-rental rants which I was part of. Karma always comes back to get me somehow. Anyways I thought it was an interesting story and had to share it! Cheers and happy sailing!

Edited by ocklawaha
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,973 battles
14 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Is this the matrix?

No, it's the BAITRIX!

• Funny 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

While the story is moving, it is what most would call and exception to the rule. Most in rentals dont have a clue how to play them.

[BROOK]
3,158 posts

This is meager bait and the exception that proves the rule. Sorry fam.

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
15,940 battles

There are good players trolling in rentals in ranked. True story.

Hopefully, WG grabs a clue and doesn't have rentals available in ranked moving forward.

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,426 battles
56 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

While the story is moving, it is what most would call and exception to the rule. Most in rentals dont have a clue how to play them.

Sooooo ... 

If this were Tier VIII Ranked, would you have the same opinion or is your opinion that players in general who have no better than a Tier VIII or Tier IX don't have a clue how to play WOWS.   

Just curious. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

1,878 posts
11,515 battles
1 minute ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Sooooo ... 

If this were Tier VIII Ranked, would you have the same opinion or is your opinion that players who have no better than a Tier VIII or Tier IX don't have a clue how to play WOWS.   

Just curious. 

I see what you are doing there....Ok let me tell you what I have seen because of rentals. T8 players taking dds like shim. While shim is not a bad dd, for rank it is probably a t2 choice and tends to lead to there being no spotting of dds and thus the enemy can easily take a cap lead. Or they take BBS and spend the whole game showing 100% broadside and die in less then 5 minutes. 

Im not saying people at t8 cant play a t10 ship. Hell half those with t10 ships cant play them. What I am saying is there is much to be said about experience in a ship. Not all bbs, cruisers, or dds are the same So just because you are decent in a NC doesnt mean you can play Montana decently. Some may be able to and for that my hats off, but for the rest of us who spent a very long time grinding these ships it feels kinda like a cheat or slap in the face.

By your analogy would you take a JR high football player and put them in the NFL?

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,254 posts
12,306 battles

Perhaps next season WG can consider R18-R11 for T8, and allow rental T8s. and R10-R1 are T10 exclusive. 

Members
190 posts
5,024 battles

What's your point? He had quite a bit of experience in tier ten from what you've posted. It's perfectly logical he'd be able to grab a rental ten and do well in it. The issue is the players who haven't even hit tier 5 being given free passes to grab a high tier ship they know nothing about and be completely useless to their team. We already have to carry sorry [edited]players in randoms, we don't want to do it in ranked, which matters more. Your clanmate should never have sold all those tier tens in the first place. That was a stupid move. But that's irrelevant. Wargamings inclusionist sjw policies are making it damn near impossible to enjoy any of these game modes. 

[RNDM]
Members
371 posts
7,389 battles
2 hours ago, ocklawaha said:

I know the title seems like click bait but honest hear me out. This threw me off big time. I "was" whole heart anti-rental ships in ranked. I'm sure other people are the same way "what the hell Wargaming what are you doing!" So I was shooting the $hit this afternoon with my clan commander. He tells me hey I got a new guy join other night. Nothing new there, always enjoy hearing the story on the new people. He tells me to look at his profile and look at his tier 10 ships. He had several of my favorite tens. He said guess what hes using in ranked. I figured Des Moines his most played ship. Nope. Then what? Rental. I told my commander bull$hit. He sold all of his tier 10s for credits. He has been using the rentals in ranked. So my commander says guess what rank he is. I responded with my rank because its a place to start 10. He responds go lower. So hes rank 8? No try 5. Believe it or not this fella has been using a rental ship in ranked and reached rank 5. 

After I had the conversation I felt like an [edited]after criticizing rentals in ranked. I know alot of the players in rentals probably shouldn't be there but we as a community shouldn't lump everyone into one label. There are a few great players in rentals. Those few are lost in the anti-rental rants which I was part of. Karma always comes back to get me somehow. Anyways I thought it was an interesting story and had to share it! Cheers and happy sailing!

Yeah I've seen some rentals at rank 5 as well. Most were using BBs since the lack of camo isn't as much of a handicap as say a DD without camo. While not the best on the team, they still held their own. Personally once you reach a certain rank bracket [10-1] I don't really have a problem with rental ships in particular since they have to actually have some skill to have gotten that far. At very least it probably means they are playing that particular rental ship enough to be competent in it.

• Cool 1

[MEMO]
[MEMO]
Beta Testers
18 posts
5,977 battles
14 minutes ago, Trowa03 said:

What's your point?

Beyond the story, it helps those free to play users participate when they have no credits to buy a tier 10 ship. Of course this is very niche in the community. He couldn't afford to buy back a ten for this season of ranked. Now he was able to play and participate. The tier 10 wall is real. Not alot of people discuss that. 

[HDR]
Beta Testers
316 posts
7,406 battles
18 minutes ago, ocklawaha said:

Beyond the story, it helps those free to play users participate when they have no credits to buy a tier 10 ship. Of course this is very niche in the community. He couldn't afford to buy back a ten for this season of ranked. Now he was able to play and participate. The tier 10 wall is real. Not alot of people discuss that. 

What wall though? it takes a few hundred battles these days to go from tier 1 to 10

[KIA-C]
Members
3,551 posts
15,600 battles

If I'm good with Zao and WG gives me rental Zao, there's no reason why I would be worst in rental than normal Zao.

However most rental are player who have no clue about T10 experience. There's a big gap between Zao and Mogami.

[MEMO]
[MEMO]
Beta Testers
18 posts
5,977 battles
16 minutes ago, berree said:

What wall though?

Credits man like I said in my post. It costs between 15million to 28million to buy a tier 10 ship. Lots of FTP players sell their ships to grind a line or simply need credits. I mean not everybody has premium account or signals to blow to make money. You get a wide range of players from high rollers who buy everything wargaming puts out to broke FTP guys. I'm in the middle I buy alot but not everything. Wallet warriors! :D

Sign in to follow this