Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

VENOM's Simple Guide to: Aiming in a Battleship

13 comments in this topic

Members
634 posts
90 battles

So one thing that has been quite a Grey area for me at least while learning how to play World of Warships, was the art of the aim. How to get that that "perfect" lead so that your shots always land on target (citadel). Obviously the more you practice the better your aim becomes, as you start to feel the target you become better able to anticipate where it will be in 5, 10 or 15 secs time; and so can adjust your aim accordingly!

But in the beginning its always nice to have a simple guide to help you get started, and I am sure most players eventually develop their own theory on how to aim so that they hit the target (citadel).

What I am going to share here is a very basic guide on the theory of aiming I developed during my many trials and tribulations of missing my shots and fine tuning my technique. I have come up with something that pretty much works on most ships when moving at average speeds for their class, with guaranteed hits on the citadel of your target.

CITADEL:

The citadel is the most vulnerable part of the ship, of which landing shots here will incur maximum damage to the target. It is usually located beneath the smoke stacks in the middle of the ship:

700px-Armor_schematics_1.png

The following guide is based on aiming at ships at a range of approx. 14 km away! 

CROSSHAIR:

First off what is the best crosshair to use for aiming, I find this one is best as it has clean lines and diagonals that help with aiming at ships that are moving in any direction:

854443240_type7.thumb.png.14a3f4fcd69c37c4a3f2e8fc35a95264.png

AMMO SELECTION:

The best ammo to use for penetrating armour are AP Shells (Armour Penetrating Shells), as these shells weigh more and are designed to penetrate the most heavily armoured parts of a ship, usually the citadel is protected by a thick layer of armour, that can only be penetrated at a close enough range to the ship and when it is broadside to you. AP Shells will ensure that penetration.

image.png.ce424426054156708b44aedf53604611.png

AIMING:

Different ships move at different speeds, which means the lead time will vary depending on how fast the ship is moving. BBs (Battleships) are the slowest and thus have the shortest lead. You will notice along the left and right of the crosshair there are tick marks at intervals: 5, 10, 15 etc. It is these I use as the point of perception of where to lead my target when shooting. While aiming I will line up the tick mark axis with the waterline of the ship and place the relevant tick marker at the bottom of the ships bow. Now assuming the target ship is broadside to you and moving at full speed...

Battleships / BBs:

I lead by Tick 5 for battleships

BBAim.thumb.png.e79421a39b6220e2a90b85f1b71b8f61.png

Cruisers / CAs:

I lead by Tick 10 for cruisers

CAim.thumb.png.9142377321c41b24e6ca4db4c5b910b6.png

Destroyers / DDs:

I lead by Tick 15 for destroyers

DDAim.thumb.png.19016d2bfd0890172f52295d4290f520.png

Disclaimer: This is by no means a full proof aiming guide for every battleship to hit every other ship, other factors can affect the lead time of your targets, these include the ballistics of main battery projectiles like speed, shell angles, shell weight, dispersion etc, even ship speeds can be very different. Shells from US Battleships are slower and heavier than shells from German or French Battleships, thus have steeper trajectories and take longer to reach their target than lighter shells.

Please take these things into account when aiming at a target, but you can use this a guide a basic reference to help you get started. As you practice your aim, it will get better and you will develop your own aiming style. I wish you all the best of luck in hitting those citadels, this guide will hopefully help you hit a few more!

• Cool 7

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Nice.....helpful! Tks. However I maintain experience is the best "improve your aim aid" there is but this is good.

• Cool 1

Developers
269 posts
4 battles

Good tips here. And if you follow them and learn other things, you will be able to do this (this is just a joke RU player made long time ago, but IMO it is brilliantly satisfying):

• Funny 3

[SALVO]
Members
25,528 posts
27,531 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

CITADEL:

The citadel is the most vulnerable part of the ship, of which landing shots here will incur maximum damage to the target. It is usually located beneath the smoke stacks in the middle of the ship:

700px-Armor_schematics_1.png

Venom, you're wrong in this image.   The red areas that you mark in red are NOT magazines.  Those are the turrets' barbettes, the armored towers on which the turrets sit (and rotate).  The ammo hoists are built inside the barbettes.  The actual magazines are placed, IIRC, aft of forward barbettes and forward of the rear barbettes.

• Meh 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,896 posts
4,733 battles
1 hour ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

CROSSHAIR:

First off what is the best crosshair to use for aiming, I find this one is best as it has clean lines and diagonals that help with aiming at ships that are moving in any direction:

854443240_type7.thumb.png.14a3f4fcd69c37c4a3f2e8fc35a95264.png

If I have to use a static crosshair (reticle) I use this one.  There is, however, a new mod that uses both a spider reticle and dynamic range scaling.  Look for Nomogram turquoise with spider in Aslain's modpack (and probably elsewhere).  I hoping he does the spider in white soon, as I find it more visible than the turquoise (usually).

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,896 posts
4,733 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Venom, you're wrong in this image.   The red areas that you mark in red are NOT magazines.  Those are the turrets' barbettes, the armored towers on which the turrets sit (and rotate).  The ammo hoists are built inside the barbettes.  The actual magazines are placed, IIRC, aft of forward barbettes and forward of the rear barbettes.

Correct.  The magazines are not illustrated in that graphic. They typically surround the bottom of the barbettes, feeding powder and shells up into them.

This article has better images: https://worldofwarships.asia/en/content/guides/types-of-shells/

• Meh 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,759 posts
5,741 battles
10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If I have to use a static crosshair (reticle) I use this one.  There is, however, a new mod that uses both a spider reticle and dynamic range scaling.  Look for Nomogram turquoise with spider in Aslain's modpack (and probably elsewhere).  I hoping he does the spider in white soon, as I find it more visible than the turquoise (usually).

Yay finally!!

[KRON]
[KRON]
Members
95 posts
3,099 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I like the bolder yellow alt hud mod, really would like a bolder crosshair in yellow or even a dark color (black is fine) but alas, only the static ones, come like that.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,896 posts
4,733 battles

The only other aim mod I use is the concentric rings pipper in fluorescent green.  So much easier to see than the little caret.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,113 posts
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Tell them White and BOLD... I also like the glowing NEON colors too... a very NEON lime green would be spectacular for the standard in-game dynamic cross hair... and from your description, it'd probably be great on your mod. 

[1984]
Members
4,317 posts
21,191 battles
14 hours ago, iDuckman said:

@MedvedevTD Is this mod available in the official modpack?

Edited by monpetitloup

Sign in to follow this