You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadowrigger1

Massachusetts

31 comments in this topic

[ADR]
Members
4,451 posts
16,188 battles

I am really getting a bit aggravated by this one ships guns, I don't know what it is, but the last few days (just started playing it for the AA/Secondary giggles) I am getting SO many full pen no damages and shots that are falling Extremely short of their target.  it is Incomprehensible to me that this ship is able to have this much trouble.   Anyone else had any issues ?  I for the life of me can not figure out what is going on here.

Edited by Shadowrigger1
correction
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,300 posts
17,942 battles

Aim higher?

In all seriousness, if your shots are falling short and the others are 0 damage pens, try aiming a little higher.  The 0 damage pens are likely low shots hitting torpedo protection.

I played her yesterday with no issue.

Edited by ClassicLib
  • Cool 1

Members
120 posts
2,920 battles

Well, it is American but not. They changed its guns to be less reliable since it is intended to brawl. In other words, its not quite American accuracy. So yes, I experience this. But not often.

Edited by MommaSheep1738
  • Cool 1

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,186 battles
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

In all seriousness, if your shots are falling short and the others are 0 damage pens, try aiming a little higher.  The 0 damage pens are likely low shots hitting torpedo protection.

Happens to me in a variety of ships, not just the Massachusetts, it's frustrating and hopefully WG will eventually just add a different ribbon for zero damage pens to make it less confusing to newer players.

[YORHA]
Members
5,134 posts
10,306 battles

Outside of 10-12 KM the dispersion on her main battery is questionable at best.

[INTEL]
Members
3,300 posts
17,942 battles
4 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Happens to me in a variety of ships, not just the Massachusetts, it's frustrating and hopefully WG will eventually just add a different ribbon for zero damage pens to make it less confusing to newer players.

You're probably going to get your wish.  

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-085/#armor-penetration

[RLGN]
Members
14,900 posts
26,419 battles

Well, there’s a joke that applies equally to Bismark, Massachusetts, Mikasa, and several other ships;

’Stop worrying about those worthless secondaries in those big turrets and focus on buffing your main battery!’

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts

Please note that the mechanics for the secondaries is the same as the mechanics for AA in the current CV meta. So when they make it easier for the CV planes to survive, they are in fact destroying the very reason why you love playing the ship. Unfortunately to fix one, you must disrupt the fix on the other.

Members
631 posts
90 battles
1 hour ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

I am really getting a bit aggravated by this one ships guns, I don't know what it is, but the last few days (just started playing it for the AA/Secondary giggles) I am getting SO many full pen no damages and shots that are falling Extremely short of their target.  it is Incomprehensible to me that this ship is able to have this much trouble.   Anyone else had any issues ?  I for the life of me can not figure out what is going on here.

Read my aiming guide for BBs, might help:

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___
  • Meh 1

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,862 posts
16,466 battles
1 hour ago, MommaSheep1738 said:

Well, it is American but not. They changed its guns to be less reliable since it is intended to brawl. In other words, its not quite American accuracy. So yes, I experience this. But not often.

^this. :fish_book:

Also Massachusetts is a secondary build ship and is intended for medium and QQB engagements:Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

I can assure you no changes have been made to the Massachusetts.  As others said definitely check your range as you'll start to lose significant penetration after 10km and bear in mind with a Sigma of 1.7 where she is best going to shine is those Secondaries.  I love her personally but have found it challenging to engage outside of medium range. 

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,134 posts
10,306 battles
23 minutes ago, mrkimba said:

Please note that the mechanics for the secondaries is the same as the mechanics for AA in the current CV meta. So when they make it easier for the CV planes to survive, they are in fact destroying the very reason why you love playing the ship. Unfortunately to fix one, you must disrupt the fix on the other.

I will see that and raise you...

ONv55O3.jpg

• Cool 2

[META_]
Members
1,604 posts
17,143 battles

Massachusetts is possibly the strongest normal premium meaning non free xp ship with the current meta in my eyes, try not to fire before 15km, unless you are just wanting to role the dice. She is a monster. Have a dd in front of you and sit a little out of cap to crush lolibotes your dd spots and he'll spot the torps for you also. You provide him secs on dds and AA cover.. I don't go full secs build.. I use aft, MAA,  only thing that stops me from this is a yammy who can bow cit me, if a Iowa wants to sit in front of me at 8-10km I'll let him, stay bow on, just move forward and back.... I don't fight further than 15 km with him except pot shots, hang in there I'm only over 60%winrate in a few ships and she's one of them... She fits the meta to a T, defends dd with AA, kills dds with secs and can bow tank besides yammy, happy hunting 

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

She has quickly become my favorite battleship because it supports my preferred playstyle: aggressive.  The captain is maxed out on secondaries. The main guns are wonky as hell, sometimes missing broadsided targets even at 12km. But when you keep missing, just get closer!

[ADR]
Members
4,451 posts
16,188 battles

I know how to play the ship.  I am far from being a Long Range sniper, I am constantly in T10s, so yes not always by choice I have to do some long range shooting, but I am a full AA/Secondary build for the most part, I enjoy the brawls

I don't hate the ship, I love it for the fun, I'm just frustrated with the seemingly disproportionate amount of Full Pen no damage shots from any range, and my shells landing far short of the target.   Maybe it's the lock on bug that's being reported, maybe on some occasions I am aiming a pixel too low as I try for the water line with the Dynamic Sight.  Was just feeling out the community on it.

Spoiler

929da5eb23.jpg

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles

Massachusetts is the king of brawler BBs at the moment, even despite not having torpedus.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,796 posts
16,934 battles

A clan mate and myself both took our New Mexico's out today. We both had a little trouble, not with pens, but citadels on other BB's. Granted the NM is high velocity 14" rifles and not "16 rifles like the Mass. However it was because we were forced into extreme medium, close to long range gun fights. Some ships are just better in close brawling than they are long distance artillery exchanges.

Also a shout out to @LittleWhiteMouseas she helped carry one of the games in her DD.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[FML]
Members
4,089 posts
15,965 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well, there’s a joke that applies equally to Bismark, Massachusetts, Mikasa, and several other ships;

’Stop worrying about those worthless secondaries in those big turrets and focus on buffing your main battery!’

Similarly, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz are all armoured destroyers; their primary weapons are torpedos!

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
9 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Massachusetts is the king of brawler BBs at the moment, even despite not having torpedus.

My only complaint is that she takes too much damage at sub 6km ranges. It might be that people know to fire at her superstructure. Other than that, fantastic ship

[YORHA]
Members
5,134 posts
10,306 battles

I have to modify my original glowing review.

She does NOT up-tier well and is a perfect example of why Tier 8 MM is broken.  When she is in a Tier X match and you need to get to a 10-15K range for her main battery to be effective you will be in easy range of the massive guns of tier X BBs and the superior AP of Tier X CAs.  So your choices are to stay on the back line and do little to nothing, or to push in to her effective gun range and get obliterated quickly.

At tier VIII she dominates, tier IX she can hold her own, but at tier X she is little but cannon fodder.

• Cool 1

Members
284 posts
4,672 battles
51 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

She does NOT up-tier well and is a perfect example of why Tier 8 MM is broken.  When she is in a Tier X match and you need to get to a 10-15K range for her main battery to be effective you will be in easy range of the massive guns of tier X BBs and the superior AP of Tier X CAs.  So your choices are to stay on the back line and do little to nothing, or to push in to her effective gun range and get obliterated quickly.

At tier VIII she dominates, tier IX she can hold her own, but at tier X she is little but cannon fodder.

At t10 matches there is not a single ship that will perform better than the mass, but as with all t8's you must play smarter when in t10 . I have no issues with it . And as was said above just watch out for yamato's . Other than that she is a best when played correctly.

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
1,458 posts
13,765 battles

Generally, no problem with Massachusetts guns.  Very fun and reliable ship to play.

The only issue I have is with AP in general.   Since they nerfed AP damage to DDs, the number of over-pen or pen for zero damage has skyrocketed.

[META_]
Members
1,604 posts
17,143 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

At tier VIII she dominates, tier IX she can hold her own, but at tier X she is little but cannon fodder.no tier 8 BB does great at tier 10, maybe Alabama just because of stealth better but still Massachusetts is better overall, global stats has Massachusetts at 2nd place for BBs I think... She's a monster... But you can't Yolo but yes I do play at 10-15 with her.. If I die in the first 3-5minutes so be it, it just means I've done my damage early... Great ship

[DFNT]
Members
189 posts
5,038 battles

I get the weirdest spawns in the Massachusetts.Sometimes I end up way off to the right or the left with one other ship. If it's a Tier 10 battle, and the team goes the other direction, I'm pretty much screwed. Icing on the cake - when someone gets salty in chat because they assume I sailed over there alone on purpose, 30 seconds into the game!