Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ghostar_1

Moving tiers - buying full Updated ships.

24 comments in this topic

Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Hi all,

Im grinding to move from Algiers to Charles Martell, and I cannot remember the following :

Can I grind enough xp with Algiers to buy the ship and develop the hull and target systems? 

Or once Charles Martell is purchased i need to grind the xp for upgrades with this ship? 

• Boring 1

[KMK]
Members
218 posts
13,325 battles
2 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

once Charles Martell is purchased i need to grind the xp for upgrades with this ship? 

This is the right one.

I get it yesterday and researched the modules with free xp (I cant play a ship without modules and upgrades, I fill nude)

Edited by Feyevich

Members
3,100 posts
12,298 battles
1 minute ago, Ghostar_1 said:

Hi all,

Im grinding to move from Algiers to Charles Martell, and I cannot remember the following :

Can I grind enough xp with Algiers to buy the ship and develop the hull and target systems? 

Or once Charles Martell is purchased i need to grind the xp for upgrades with this ship? 

If you want to grind enough XP to outright purchase the upgrades on the new ship, it has to be Free XP, which is earned at greatly reduced rate.  That, or pay doubloons to convert any extra XP you earn.  Any “extra” XP you normally earn past needed amount to unlock the next ship can’t be directly used to purchase upgrades on the new ship.

Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Thanks both, currently my free xp is going to buy sinop. 

I hope to have the same fun I have with Algiers using Charles, even without the Updates. 

Members
3,100 posts
12,298 battles
3 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

I hope to have the same fun I have with Algiers using Charles, even without the Updates. 

Be careful what you wish for.  Going from Tier VII ship to Tier VIII ship might not be as fun as you would hope.  That tier jump is a major game changer.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

I really think they should add that feature and make XP line based and not ship based.  IE US DD experience instead of Fletcher experience.  If you want to grind out the modules for Fletcher on Benson before playing Fletcher, go for it.

Will never happen because whales will always be willing to spend doubloons to convert XP, so meh.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts

Honestly, rushing up the line does nothing for the game, and isn't going to be much fun for you either....unless you like getting abused and trolled.

People get pretty toxic in high tier when they get players who really don't know what's going on. But WG encourages it, and it's simply a fact of life in this game...so good luck.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
20 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Will never happen because

...the absurd limit of this would be the person who grinds out a million XP in a T1 ship and then jumps straight to T10. That's what the current system is designed to prevent.

(And yes, there are people who have ground out four times that much on a T1.)

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles

It would be nice to grind out the upgrades on the previous ship.  However, there are cash purchases available to convert elite xp to free xp to do that if you don't have enough freeXP.  Bypassing the grind is a way WG makes money.  They put a base hull ship out that isn't that great to entice the extra purchases and to entice players to use up their freeXP.

If they did put that feature in that ship upgrades could be purchased using researched XP from the previous ship, they could make is so only XP from the previous ships could be used.  That way you couldn't grind all the XP on  a ship that you were good in and bypass all other ships in the line.  They'll never do it, though.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...the absurd limit of this would be the person who grinds out a million XP in a T1 ship and then jumps straight to T10. That's what the current system is designed to prevent.

(And yes, there are people who have ground out four times that much on a T1.)

So they are ok with people paying to skip levels but not grinding to skip levels.  Money talks :)

[XXX]
Members
595 posts
1,443 battles
18 minutes ago, Murcc said:

It would be nice to grind out the upgrades on the previous ship.  However, there are cash purchases available to convert elite xp to free xp to do that if you don't have enough freeXP.  Bypassing the grind is a way WG makes money.  They put a base hull ship out that isn't that great to entice the extra purchases and to entice players to use up their freeXP.

If they did put that feature in that ship upgrades could be purchased using researched XP from the previous ship, they could make is so only XP from the previous ships could be used.  That way you couldn't grind all the XP on  a ship that you were good in and bypass all other ships in the line.  They'll never do it, though.

Interestingly this is how it can work in World of Tanks. Certain tanks (usually the older lines, a lot of the newer lines don't do this to force people to spend more free XP to get through them) will share things like guns, engines and the most common one is radio. The radio is usually unlocked at tier 6 or 7 (for a LOT of XP at that tier) and you never have to grind it again not only for that line but for usually many other lines as well or it at least lets you skip a major grind (the R113 radio is used in a LOT of russian vehicles for example). The major unique parts are always turret and suspension.

However this works in WoT since tanks were designed as iterations and usually reused parts from earlier ones whilst ships tended to be complete redesigns for each ship even if they were the next 'model' of that ship.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
11 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

So they are ok with people paying to skip levels but not grinding to skip levels.  Money talks :)

You still need to have accumulated the necessary XP to convert. Money only talks so much.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,601 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You still need to have accumulated the necessary XP to convert. Money only talks so much.

This is the kind of thing money buys you in this game.....:Smile_sceptic:

image.thumb.png.d8cea15d401e4c9300e6878af16e9442.png

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,558 battles
2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I really think they should add that feature and make XP line based and not ship based.  IE US DD experience instead of Fletcher experience.  If you want to grind out the modules for Fletcher on Benson before playing Fletcher, go for it.

Will never happen because whales will always be willing to spend doubloons to convert XP, so meh.

To make a Free to Play game viable, someone has to pay the bills. If there is no reason to pay for anything, the developer will either be forced to charge for access, or close up. Sure what you suggest would be great for players, but you can't operate a Free to Play game this way.

Personally, I run Premium Time, so I am supporting the Free to Play players.

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles
8 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

To make a Free to Play game viable, someone has to pay the bills. If there is no reason to pay for anything, the developer will either be forced to charge for access, or close up. Sure what you suggest would be great for players, but you can't operate a Free to Play game this way.

Personally, I run Premium Time, so I am supporting the Free to Play players.

In logic, reductio ad absurdum (Latin for "reduction to absurdity"), also known as argumentum ad absurdum (Latin for "argument to absurdity"), apagogical arguments or the appeal to extremes, is a form of argument that attempts either to disprove a statement by showing it inevitably leads to a ridiculous, absurd, or impractical conclusion, or to prove one by showing that if it were not true, the result would be absurd or impossible

I am well aware of how F2P games work and I know they need to make money to stay afloat (Business 101).  That said, there are different models to go off of and remain profitable/fiscally sound.  WG has made a decision to try and maximize revenue by charging for pretty much everything, and then keeping players by having giveaways fairly often.  This obviously works, because well, here we are.  I might even do the same thing in their shoes.

I've played games though that charge only for the fluff - skins, on combat pets, easier travel, etc - and they are still around and doing well (whales will always be whales).  Cryptic has made several games that are F2P, in which you can even earn the premium currency.  For NeverWinter for example, most players haven't paid a cent for their consecutive years of VIP service, instead earning the currency in game and converting it to the premium currency.

All that said, all I said was that the XP you gain in a boat should be able to be used on that line for free.  They seem to promote the fact that Elite XP is this awesome thing and they even put XP bonuses things that have no need for XP, just to inflate the amount of Elite XP everyone has.  Only when you try and use it, are you hit with the doubloon cost.  I don't think this little change would impact their bottom line all that much, as again, whales will be whales.   Stretching that to "Stop charging for everything" is just adburd.

Members
134 posts
2,434 battles
44 minutes ago, awiggin said:

This is the kind of thing money buys you in this game.....:Smile_sceptic:

image.thumb.png.d8cea15d401e4c9300e6878af16e9442.png

Yes, and this is one of the best way to learn to play a TX. 

Altough personally i dont care too much for the WR. 

[PHD]
Members
1,690 posts
7,036 battles

I did not know anything about ship XP until recently. I advance slowly so buy the time I bought my T5 CA I had plenty of free XP to buy the modules at the same time. Now I got 1 ship up the CA tree and 2 DDs when WG had a sale on IJN ships. Haven't used them yet.

I may convert XP to free XP for advanced captain training since XP is very slow in PvE. 

But as I have not played Random  (Maybe 20 random games total) my effect on the game should not matter. But then if I can't play well at a level I don't. My most recent purchase, T2 Tachibana fun and no CVs if that matters.  

But it would seem that players advance as they like regardless if other players like it.

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,973 battles
7 hours ago, Ghostar_1 said:

The Charles Martel plays similar to the Algerie but is better in all respects - stay at long range and set fires on multiple battleships, dodge incoming fire, late game use speed boost to get where you need to be to win the match.

Fully upgraded, Martel is so strong it’s more like a Tier 8.5 ship. That reload booster means you can rapidly murder cruisers with AP if you are brawling them!

And it was one of the few ships that you WANT to get uptiered in - higher tier battleships have more HP, so each fire does more damage, and the XP bonus for damaging ships 2 tiers higher is massive. 

Have fun! Martel was a keeper for me.

Beta Testers
843 posts
13,918 battles
9 hours ago, Ghostar_1 said:

This is the right one but be prepared to face T10's ALOT as a T8. Good luck in your battles!

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,558 battles
On 6/6/2019 at 1:46 PM, Old_Baldy_One said:

All that said, all I said was that the XP you gain in a boat should be able to be used on that line for free.  They seem to promote the fact that Elite XP is this awesome thing and they even put XP bonuses things that have no need for XP, just to inflate the amount of Elite XP everyone has.  Only when you try and use it, are you hit with the doubloon cost.  I don't think this little change would impact their bottom line all that much, as again, whales will be whales.   Stretching that to "Stop charging for everything" is just adburd.

I think you are missing how the game economy works. The point of providing bonuses to would "inflate the amount of Elite XP" is that anything that increases Elite Ship XP also increases Free XP and Elite Commander XP. I have not paid to convert Elite Ship XP to Free XP since the initial release of Missouri (I was impatient). Since then, I run bonuses on my Elite Ships just to increase my Free XP and Elite Commander XP pools, which are freely transferable. Frankly, I was surprised by the Elite Commander XP mechanic, since there is no penalty for transferring XP.

I was up to over 5 million Free XP when I bought Mushasi and Kronstadt, and am back to over 3 million, without paying for conversion. I am also over 10 million Elite Commander XP. I have 19 point commanders in my favorite ships, though probably should max out the others, but get more satisfaction from earning everything. If I could just skip ahead, I would probably get bored.

[H_]
Members
749 posts
12,102 battles
18 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

I was up to over 5 million Free XP when I bought Mushasi and Kronstadt, and am back to over 3 million, without paying for conversion. I am also over 10 million Elite Commander XP. I have 19 point commanders in my favorite ships,

"Sigh"..  one of these days I may actually figure out how folks do this.. I have never come close to a Million Free XP let alone 5, close as I've come was 500k..  I have 1 19pt commander .. so 10million elite commander XP whew.. .. although I guess if every ship you play has a 19pt.. probably not overly difficult.  maybe one day..

Like the folks that have a billion credits.. seriously.. LOL I really really must suck at this game.. 

and folks that don't open crates?  or never have to buy signals cause they have thousands of them.. 

I must admit though I have been a fairly prolific ship buyer and I am pretty evenly dispersed amongst all the ship lines.. might account for some of it.. 

My hats off to those that have these kinds of numbers.. pretty amazing in my book.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,210 posts
24,603 battles
On 6/6/2019 at 7:16 AM, Ramsalot said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Going from Tier VII ship to Tier VIII ship might not be as fun as you would hope.  That tier jump is a major game changer.

It didn't help during the French Cruiser Line "Buff" to get MBRB consumable, a number of their Cruisers got their reload rate Nerfed.  Charles Martel, Saint-Louis come quickly to mind.  I felt that to be pretty underhanded.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,558 battles
On 6/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, S16_Hunter said:

"Sigh"..  one of these days I may actually figure out how folks do this.. I have never come close to a Million Free XP let alone 5, close as I've come was 500k..  I have 1 19pt commander .. so 10million elite commander XP whew.. .. although I guess if every ship you play has a 19pt.. probably not overly difficult.  maybe one day..

Like the folks that have a billion credits.. seriously.. LOL I really really must suck at this game.. 

and folks that don't open crates?  or never have to buy signals cause they have thousands of them.. 

I must admit though I have been a fairly prolific ship buyer and I am pretty evenly dispersed amongst all the ship lines.. might account for some of it.. 

My hats off to those that have these kinds of numbers.. pretty amazing in my book.

It is not that hard, though you need to take advantage of game mechanics. Also, having Premium time really helps.

• I only use Free XP to but Free XP ships. I don't use it to complete ship research. It is very easy to blow 50k-100k researching a ship. I just suffer through it. I thought about blowing 250k Free XP to skip Izumo, but suffered through it, and just unlocked Yamato.
  • I mainly play Elite Ships and Premium Ships. I only have 5 or 6 19 point commanders, but I make the most of them, moving them between Elite ships and Premium Ships, maximizing daily first win bonuses. I have maybe 15 ships I can play those commanders in.
  • Understand the mechanics for Free XP and Elite Commander XP bonuses. Know what bonuses stack and how. Take advantage of 100% and 200% Daily Bonuses.
  • With stacked bonuses it is not hard to earn 10k Free Xp and 30k Elite Commander Xp per game on a 200% day. With some of the rare camo, it is possible to make double those numbers. I think on 200% bonus days I run +2,000% Free XP bonus flags/camo on ships I have a good c chance of having a unicum game in.

Screenshot 2019-06-11 15.11.20.png

Edited by DustRhino

Sign in to follow this