Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Opinion piece on the USS Texas

5 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6,097
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/amp/Don-t-move-the-Battleship-Texas-It-could-sink-13937171.php

I figured I'd share the above, though - for my part - I think the guy is wrong on all counts. To do nothing invites the problem to get worse, with the Texas eventually sinking at her moorings. And the monument is lost in an industrial wasteland, and can only be accessed from the north by ferry - it's a bad spot to draw tourists, regardless of the impact of previous hurricane seasons on greater Houston.

Yes, the ship could sink on her journey to Alabama... but I'd like to think that every reasonable precaution will be taken beforehand. It's not 1988 anymore, and technology has advanced a great deal since the Texas was last at sea. I have some confidence that she can be moved.

Cowering in fear gets us nowhere.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,306 posts
14,649 battles
11 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Yes, the ship could sink on her journey to Alabama... but I'd like to think that every reasonable precaution will be taken beforehand. It's not 1988 anymore, and technology has advanced a great deal since the Texas was last at sea. I have some confidence that she can be moved.

Indeed. The plan is to complete structural repairs necessary to prevent sinking on the way to Alabama before the move occurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,231
[RLGN]
Members
14,843 posts
26,354 battles
1 hour ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Indeed. The plan is to complete structural repairs necessary to prevent sinking on the way to Alabama before the move occurs.

It’s going for major repairs in Alabama? Or they’re going to moor it in Mobile with the Alabama?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
125
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
400 posts
11,470 battles
40 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s going for major repairs in Alabama? Or they’re going to moor it in Mobile with the Alabama?

if you read the article, you'd see that it's being moved to a dry-dock in Alabama for repairs; ultimate destination is not yet determined

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,097
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
14 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s going for major repairs in Alabama? Or they’re going to moor it in Mobile with the Alabama?

It's planned to end up somewhere on the North Texas coast. My money is on Galveston. Frankly, though, I think they'd do better relocating somewhere like Corpus Christi or even Port Aransas. Ideally, you want it somewhere where a lot of people on vacation will pass within sight of it. Houston is not that place (people can debate me all the live long day on how nice or not nice metro Houston is, but a travel destination it is not).

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×