You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LemSat87

Advice sought a first time ranked player

41 comments in this topic

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
32 posts
1,627 battles

Hello everyone,

I tried my hand at ranked for the first time today using one of the rented ships you can unlock (I know I know i'm sorry, best ship I own currently is a T8) It is definitely a different pace of play & requires different style over random.  I felt like I did alright, doing about 90k in the Hindenburg...although we still lost with 2 ships remaining on either side.  The whole experience was a bit unnerving however, in that I felt like I had absolutely no idea what I should be doing (i'm not a bad player but I don't pretend to be excellent either) I want to make sure i'm not a hinderance to the team I end up on...and I understand I already am being in a rental that can't equip a camo. 

Any suggestions that could help with the experience and in trying to help the team overall?  Thanks

• Cool 2

[TIGRB]
Members
875 posts
16,926 battles

Can you afford to build up a Rented BB? A Hindenburg is a fine ship don't get me wrong but she has shortcomings. She is slow and is easy to citadel by BBs over 10 k out. Remember to sail bow first at a 20 degree angle whe under 10 k. Her Ap is crap against a bb or cruiser when they are angled. Use HE. Also she is a good Flanking ship when over 15 k. Use spotter and HE on BBs. Keep full speed and twist and turn all the time. When your team has an advantage in ships, Sail in hard and brawl, Close up with a bb bow first then turn and wallop her with those torps!. Captain skills----make her a fire starter and inhance damage control. Have fun,,good luck.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
429 posts

Sigh,,,pay your dues grind out a T10 and learn the differences in play.  Seriously, it's not that hard to do.  You are going to get a LOT of flak, just be ready for it.  Rented ships in ranked are easily the biggest indicator of who will win the match.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
32 posts
1,627 battles
1 minute ago, GSXstage1 said:

Can you afford to build up a Rented BB? A Hindenburg is a fine ship don't get me wrong but she has shortcomings. She is slow and is easy to citadel by BBs over 10 k out. Remember to sail bow first at a 20 degree angle whe under 10 k. Her Ap is crap against a bb or cruiser when they are angled. Use HE. Also she is a good Flanking ship when over 15 k. Use spotter and HE on BBs. Keep full speed and twist and turn all the time. When your team has an advantage in ships, Sail in hard and brawl, Close up with a bb bow first then turn and wallop her with those torps!. Captain skills----make her a fire starter and inhance damage control. Have fun,,good luck.

Yeah I have the rental BBs available also.  I felt more useful in a cruiser (at least in my head) so I went with that first.  I'll def try the BB next time out.  Thanks!

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
32 posts
1,627 battles
2 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

start a serious grind to get a T10 ship and get a 19 point capt on it. Rentals in ranked is a test.

1 minute ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Sigh,,,pay your dues grind out a T10 and learn the differences in play.  Seriously, it's not that hard to do.  You are going to get a LOT of flak, just be ready for it.  Rented ships in ranked are easily the biggest indicator of who will win the match.

Absolutely, i'm almost to the Seattle and heavily grinding toward the Worcester.  I know it's a light cruiser, but is that considered decent/good for ranked?

[TIGRB]
Members
875 posts
16,926 battles
Just now, LemSat87 said:

Yeah I have the rental BBs available also.  I felt more useful in a cruiser (at least in my head) so I went with that first.  I'll def try the BB next time out.  Thanks!

Message me when you want to set up a BB. Glad to help. Conqueror is fun and easy to play, GK is a Beast with a good captain. Republique is good if your a hell of a shot. Same with Yamato. Burgougne is a fast hit and run ship. Montana, Dont show side at all! Guns are great though.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
429 posts

Zao absolutely wrecks.  Hindi is the other if you like to tank.  The Worcester is great if you like to sit back and be irrelevant.  Every ship on a 7 man team needs to pull their weight.  When you have to take objectives and can't count on hiding the whole match and be relevant, the choices get more clear.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
32 posts
1,627 battles
1 minute ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Zao absolutely wrecks.  Hindi is the other if you like to tank.  The Worcester is great if you like to sit back and be irrelevant.  Every ship on a 7 man team needs to pull their weight.  When you have to take objectives and can't count on hiding the whole match and be relevant, the choices get more clear.

Alright, guess I need to evaluate where I sit.  I'm up to T7 on the German cruiser line & T8 on the American BB line.  Think i'll hold off on further ranked matches until I grind out a decent ship for it.

[WORX]
Members
11,501 posts
19,230 battles

Map awareness - especially when playing cruisers. So many of my loses have been cruisers not hunting down DDs.

I think its the primary thing one should know.

IF by the halfway mark you see a lot of red ships like

• cruisers, its BB fail
  • DDs, Its cruiser fail.
  • Not having the BB adv.- Its everyone's fail

Rank is a test of your sanity that is not for everyone. IF you love pain and you return for more then Ranked is for you

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,920 posts
11,682 battles
26 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Yea but don't t you think tier 10 play is different than tier 10 ranked . Seems to me the pace is a little quicker and battles a little closer with only 7 ships . If you played a lot in tier 8 then you have been in a lot of tier 10 games the biggest problem I think is they won’t let you mount your own cameos on your rented ship and make you pay full price to upgrade modules . Should give them a break on modules since they can’t keep the ship and let them mount cameos it would help the rental players that aren’t that bad . 

[KWF]
Members
4,961 posts
6,614 battles

In my opinion as long as you give it your best, there is no issue in trying Ranked with a rental. You don't have to do a massive run or rank out or anything, just set a goal along the irrevocable ranks. A good start would be 12, the final irrevocable rank.

While the no camouflage thing sucks, being able to install some upgrades to whichever rental you will want to play is important.

If in doubt, stick with the team, focus fire plays quite a role. Pay attention to conserving HP, ship numbers are even more important in this mode. Don't be afraid to stop firing and lick your wounds. 

Finally, communicate, communicate, communicate. Teamwork plays a very important role and can help turn battles around.

• Cool 2

[-RNG-]
Members
558 posts
14,177 battles

My advice?  Expect to progress to the extent of your skill. Do NOT expect to win and get into higher ranks simply “because”.  Ranked is a different animal and you do have to earn your way higher.

[GGWP]
Members
7,151 posts
16,428 battles

Honestly, only way you learn is by playing. You start at ranks where at this point in the season, no one is going to be too ticked off by you not k owing as much. You gotta start somewhere. Just take it 1 game at a time and think through what you think you did well and what you did wrong and take those lessons into the next game. 

Killing enemy dds while keeping yours alive is key in ranked. 

Making sure you get worthwhile trades for your hp is as well. 

• Cool 1

Members
707 posts
28,689 battles

My opinion is you shouldn't play in ranked if you are not already playing actively in the tier ranked happens to be in this time around. Grind and get better until you get a T10 ship you are actually comfortable in. Otherwise, if you are playing in a ship you are not familiar with and maps you have never seen you will be a liability for everyone on the team that you are on. I am not a fan of rental boats. 

If however, you choose to move forward stick with the bulk of your team and help concentrate fire on one ship at a time with a teammate of your choosing and hit that ship till it sinks and move on to the next one.  

Edited by Filthy_Pelican
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,680 posts
35,910 battles

You got good advice. I love Hindenburg and Zao but I do not think they are good for Ranked this time around. As cruisers go, Des Moines, Worcester, Minotaur are better equipped to handle t AA, and burn/cit everything around. They are just not easy to play.

In your case I would go for a BB. Any of them will do but I would be partial to Montana, Yamato, Republique if you have to rent. But I would be against it even then. If you are not familiar with the type of ship and the tier (i.e. you have not played consisten;ly at T8+ and encountered T10 often, you should not be there.

That said, if you want in, under no circumstances rent a DD. Not only they are tougher to play, radar is prevalent, and sometimes CVs. You are already starting with a big handicap against you: no camo.

Playing a Yamato with no camo is not a deal breaker. Playing a Shimakaze without it is asinine for you and the team. Don't do it.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

Members
120 posts
2,920 battles
21 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Yea but don't t you think tier 10 play is different than tier 10 ranked . Seems to me the pace is a little quicker and battles a little closer with only 7 ships . If you played a lot in tier 8 then you have been in a lot of tier 10 games the biggest problem I think is they won’t let you mount your own cameos on your rented ship and make you pay full price to upgrade modules . Should give them a break on modules since they can’t keep the ship and let them mount cameos it would help the rental players that aren’t that bad . 

I think that they make you pay full price because when the rentals disappear the modules demount for free. That is, if Clan battles was anything to go off of.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,920 posts
11,682 battles
8 minutes ago, MommaSheep1738 said:

I think that they make you pay full price because when the rentals disappear the modules demount for free. That is, if Clan battles was anything to go off of.

I see and then you get to them keep so you have them if you buy the ship later so you don't end up having to buy the modules twice ?

Members
120 posts
2,920 battles
6 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I see and then you get to them keep so you have them if you buy the ship later so you don't end up having to buy the modules twice ?

Yes. Or you can put them on other ships if you would prefer.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,920 posts
11,682 battles
Just now, MommaSheep1738 said:

Yes. Or you can put them on other ships if you would prefer.

So if they could just mount there own Cameos it would be better for everyone and nobody would no if you rented or not which I think would be good .

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,345 posts
9,660 battles
1 hour ago, LemSat87 said:

Hello everyone,

I tried my hand at ranked for the first time today using one of the rented ships you can unlock (I know I know i'm sorry, best ship I own currently is a T8) It is definitely a different pace of play & requires different style over random.  I felt like I did alright, doing about 90k in the Hindenburg...although we still lost with 2 ships remaining on either side.  The whole experience was a bit unnerving however, in that I felt like I had absolutely no idea what I should be doing (i'm not a bad player but I don't pretend to be excellent either) I want to make sure i'm not a hinderance to the team I end up on...and I understand I already am being in a rental that can't equip a camo. 

Any suggestions that could help with the experience and in trying to help the team overall?  Thanks

Don't listen to people that tell you that you're required to first grind out a tier X ship and have a bunch of battles in it behind your belt before you venture into ranked. Just play ranked in rented ships and after each match think what went well, what didn't, and what you could have done differently. That's how you get better. Maybe watch some streamer's guide on that particular ship and ranked in general. As a bonus, this way you'll understand whether the grind to some tier X ship is even worth it. 

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

Staying alive and trading HP efficiently is really important with so few players. Do not worry too much about capture points, as long as you are taking the fight to the enemy, the team with the most ships left alive will almost always win in the end. Early deaths are a quick way to lose ranks.

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
16,000 battles
16 hours ago, LemSat87 said:

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Ranked! Unlike the others, I think dipping your toe in the water with a rental ship is fine. It was easier for me - my first ranked season had T7s...

Compared to a random battle, I would suggest there are a few key differences that I have rambled about below. 

1) The key thing about ranked is staying alive. Yolo and you lose. Staying alive is important as your ship is worth points, you can keep doing damage, and late battle there might only be one or two enemy ships left alive so you can possibly take caps unopposed. 

2) Combined with the above, it is controlled aggression that wins battles.  Camping at the back helps your team lose, rushing forward helps your team lose, you need to work out that happy medium where you are close enough to damage the enemy but far enough away to minimise damage in return.  Similarly, it is about taking calculated risks - when to expose yourself in order to get that last strike in before a target goes dark, or hides behind and island, can be the difference between winning and losing.  Both of these are genuinely hard, and takes a lot of practice, which is why Ranks 5-1 are a step-change in difficulty for new players who havent yet worked this out yet.  

3) Ranked teaches you to watch enemy ships like a hawk, understand hard and soft cover, against all instinct learning to NOT shoot and go dark, against all instinct learning to WAIT until your target has fired at someone else before shooting them, learning to read Enemy ship behaviour and HOLD fire until they unduly expose their broadside then punish their mistake - shooting too early or too late may give them the angle needed to bounce instead of eating three cits. And the reverse is also true - if you need to turn, so it after the shots have come in. Bait shots into an angled belt.

4) A very important part of ranked is knowing when to push, and when to go defensive. Don’t EVER push if you have a points, ship and cap advantage - if you expose yourself and get killed, you may throw the battle from a position of strength. If you are losing, then don’t just hide behind your island cover, work out a plan to change the battle and execute it ideally without dying. But accept that you could have made an error five minutes ago and now the situation cannot be recovered. 

5) The best ranked players don’t just sit there and spam hundreds of battles. After each battle, win or lose, spend at least 30 seconds thinking about what worked, what didn’t work, why, and what else you could have done to make it better.  I found that after every ranked season, there was a step-change improvement in my random battle stats, as I applied learnings from that ranked season to my general play.  Things like focus firing, dodging, then later map awareness, positioning, then later calculated risks and controlled aggression... This is a key unstated benefit of ranked seasons - the crucible of experience for you to improve markedly as a player. 

6) Do your job. Understand your ship’s role and do it well. Using your ship, understand how to deal with enemy ships. This advice sound stupidly vague? Use this Quick Reference Guide. 

7) Ranked is a marathon, not a sprint. Expect a large amount of rage from people enduring losing streaks - you’ll understand after falling five ranks yourself. Still, try to be polite as possible. 

8) Work WITH your team, not against them. Think of ways you can use your ship to assist a teammate (unless that teammate is obviously dumb, such as yoloing). The most obvious way is to FOCUS FIRE - you should shoot an enemy ship that your team is shooting to kill it faster. A dead enemy can’t shoot back, and a ship advantage can snowball quickly into a win. Similarly, smoking for your team, or going around a risky island first if you have more HP, or shooting so teammate can go dark unmolested etc, all help to win the battle. Far better to have 5 friendly ships on 1k HP than one ship on 5k HP. And ranked often ends like that. 

I will add more as I think of it. Come back later :-p

Edited by UltimateNewbie
More points :)
  • Cool 2