You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Advice on Monitor Size

54 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,373 posts
4,184 battles

I'm going to be moving in about a month or so, and I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade my office/gaming area. Right now I have a 15in laptop, which is plenty powerful, but I want a second screen both for work and a bigger one for WOWS. I also plan on using the screen for watching streamed movies, ballgames, etc. So definitely a multipurpose setup.

I think I know the answer to my first question, which is monitor or TV? I'm thinking monitor because most of the things I do will be traditional computer work, where I'm relatively close to the monitor. TVs are more for distance, so that's why I think I prefer the monitor.

I am more undecided on the size. I'm thinking either 27/29" or 32". The 32 would be good for watching movies or whatnot from a bit of a distance, but I'm worried it will be way too big up close. The desk will be about 30" deep, and I'm not sure if sitting that close to that big of a monitor is ideal. My graphics card can handle 1440p on the monitor, so pixelation isn't a worry, though I know WOWS can get kind of wonky at more than 1080p. The other option smaller at 27 to 29 in, but I'm a bit concerned that may be a bit small for viewing from further away (we're talking around 10ft max probably). The main focus is up close work. If a 32in monitor is fine up close, then I'll go with that at 1440p. If that's too big, then I'll drop to 27 or 29 in and call it good. It's not much of a price difference, so I'm mostly interested in what will work best.

I'm interested in y'alls thoughts and what you run yourselves.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,618 posts
10,469 battles

Definitely use a monitor instead of a TV if you are going to be gaming.  TVs have more lag associated with their inputs.  If you are going to be using it for watching movies, get the 32". Most are available in 4K resolution, but may be less expensive for a faster response time in a 1440 resolution.  

I run WOWs in 4K on a 27" and it works very good.  The picture is crisp and the gameplay is clean.

I personally don't like the curved screens, but some like them.

Edited by Murcc
  • Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,426 battles

I have a 28 inch monitor. It's more than enough, but I also run 4k. I can see shells AP shells coming in 20km away:cap_cool:

I would say 32 is a bit high, unless you are doing movies or sitting far back. I sit about 2 feet (ish?) from mine. 

Ultra wide is nice. I prefer the higher resolution, but for WoWS ultrawide is very nice. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,373 posts
4,184 battles
23 minutes ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Go ultra wide or bust. No more 16:9.

I use this and there is nothing wonky about it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49-crg9-dual-qhd-curved-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49rg90ssnxza/

How far back do you sit from that?

I'm not opposed to ultrawide, but while my computer is good (1050ti GPU, i7-8000 CPU), I think a massive 4K screen might be pushing it a little.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
48 minutes ago, Murcc said:

Definitely use a monitor instead of a TV if you are going to be gaming.  TVs have more lag associated with their inputs.  If you are going to be using it for watching movies, get the 32". Most are available in 4K resolution, but may be less expensive for a faster response time in a 1440 resolution.  

I run WOWs in 4K on a 27" and it works very good.  The picture is crisp and the gameplay is clean.

I personally don't like the curved screens, but some like them.

I personally choose a higher frame rate at 144hz at 1440 over 4K but that will change as 144hz monitors in 4K resolution come down in price.  That said 144hz doesn't do much for this game specifically.

Another reason to use an actual monitor over a TV is that modern TVs are still susceptible to burn in.  Not as much as the old plasma technology TVs but it is still very much a thing that can happen, even with OLED TVs.

Using a TV as a PC monitor is a good way to induce it and ruin the TV.

Finally built in hardware like G-Sync or FreeSync in the monitor is night and day compared to "old school" V-Sync.  It's a beautiful thing.  TVs simply don't have it.

[NH]
Members
1,792 posts
5 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm not opposed to ultrawide, but while my computer is good (1050ti GPU, i7-8000 CPU), I think a massive 4K screen might be pushing it a little.

5120x1440 is less pixels than 4k. I run on max settings and still get near 100fps. I dont sit very far back at all. its on a regular desk. Its a curved display so no need to sit far back. It fills my peripheral vision. Its quite an immersive feeling. Closest thing to VR due to that. I would never go back to a normal wide screen.

[A-D-F]
7,931 posts
20 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

A 1050ti is not going to run 4K graphics well at all.  Maybe....in this game, but in anything that is pushing real 4K textures like a modern first person shooter, it will be struggling badly with the frame rate, if it will run them at that resolution at all.

A 1080ti works very hard to sustain a decent frame rate at 4K in most modern games.

The 2080 is the first card that offers a real 4k solution that can sustain a respectable frame rate.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,085 posts
14,661 battles

Since you are going to hook it up to a laptop I would say 24 - 28 would be the sweet spot in both resolution and cost.

[-K-]
Members
1,151 posts
9,181 battles

I have a 27" 1440p monitor w/ G-Sync and really like it.  It was a big upgrade from my older 24" 1080p monitor.  Running a GF 1080 video card, I average in the 130fps range with everything maxed (and the framerate limit increased).  Like you, I sit fairly close to my monitor and was worried a 32" would be both a) too big, and b) have noticeable pixel spacing compared to the tighter 27" 1440p.

As for running higher than 1080p in WOWS, I don't have any issues whatsoever.  They have a GUI scaling slider now that allows you to increase/decrease the size of the UI elements to suit your needs.

Edited by RightYouAreKen

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles

I have a nice 32" paired with a beefy i7 and 1070 and it is wonderful.  I would not need any bigger than 32 for normal desk sitting distances - i would recommend quality over size though.  You don't have to go nuts and buy a $1000 monitor or HDR or anything like that. Just don't get the cheapest biggest monitor you can find.  If you can get a NICE QUALITY 27" or LOW END 32" get the 27".  Ideally you can get size and quality though.  

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles

You've already received a lot of good advice and a monitor is a pretty significant investment unless you are a hobbyist who spends a lot on having current gen technology.

I personally like having a second monitor and have found I can't really live without it.  Netflix, Twitch, looking something up....it's invaluable to me.  As a result my main monitor is only 27" or it won't fit well side by side with my 19".

The other consideration you may look at is 60hz vs 144hz.  If you aren't planning to use a card that supports 4k, I highly recommend 144hz as it won't change your world but the visual difference is slightly better and it's a nominal additional cost to a 1440p monitor anyway. 

Regardless if you are on a 15inch laptop you'll see a vast difference in your gameplay.  Congratz on your upgrade!

• Cool 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,618 posts
10,469 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I personally choose a higher frame rate over 4K but that will change and 144hz monitors in 4K resolution come down in price.  That said 144hz doesn't do much for this game specifically though.

Another reason to use an actual monitor over a TV is that modern TVs are still susceptible to burn in.  Not as much as the old plasma technology TVs but it is still very much a thing that can happen.

WOWs will get you about 80 fps at 4k.  I think rates higher than that is limited by other game related stuff but not really relevant.  Other games will probably do better as long as you have the hardware to do it.  The beauty of having a 4k monitor is that most good ones can still run 144Hz  at the lower resolutions such as 1440.  

You don't want to use an OLED or QLED TV for a monitor due to burn in issues.  Any other LCD television, like LCD monitors, will not have burn in issues.  

[TBW]
Members
10,547 posts
18,051 battles

A good smart TV makes a great monitor for me and a 720 smaller TV is my second monitor. I gave up playing at a desk many years ago, I sit in a big comfortable chair with big wide arms and my legs propped up an an ottoman. My mouse is on the right arm and the keyboard lays at an angle from the left arm of the chair and my lap, conveniently placing WASD right at my fingertips while my arm is relaxing on the armrest of the chair  I suppose I will upgrade to a 4k smart TV soon, one with a high refresh rate.

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles

I have a 32" Phillips and love it. I do not think a bigger size would work for me. It is 2560x1440 with a 60Hz refresh rate. I use it to watch movies as well as play games. I have a GTX 1060 graphics card. There are 1960x1080 32" monitors as well. But as Brushwolf stated 24"-28" is the sweet spot in cost. You did not state what type of graphics you have on your laptop. That is necessary to know to be more specific.

[GOB]
Members
2,358 posts

For Gaming I use a 4k 32" Curved running at 144hz.     Get one, you will never look back!

[A-D-F]
7,931 posts
58 minutes ago, Murcc said:

WOWs will get you about 80 fps at 4k.  I think rates higher than that is limited by other game related stuff but not really relevant.  Other games will probably do better as long as you have the hardware to do it.  The beauty of having a 4k monitor is that most good ones can still run 144Hz  at the lower resolutions such as 1440.  

You don't want to use an OLED or QLED TV for a monitor due to burn in issues.  Any other LCD television, like LCD monitors, will not have burn in issues.  

The framerate is unlockable in the ini file. The game will run at whatever frame rate your hardware is capable of rendering it.

Modern monitors have a native resolution.  You can run 1440 on a 4K monitor, but it is not native to it.

Beta Testers
331 posts
4,328 battles

If it not too big you should try the 43 inch 4k gaming monitors which gives a 3840 x 2160 res

Members
2,306 posts
14,610 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Go ultra wide or bust. No more 16:9.

I actually quite like 16:10. If you watch older shows, you'll appreciate the slightly taller aspect ratio. It cuts the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 without sacrificing resolution. I run on a 24" CAD optimized monitor of this type, though only at a little over 1080p (1920 x 1200).  Not a standard size, but I'm a fan of them. There are nice 30" ones on the market if 24" feels too small.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[WOLFG]
Members
30,538 posts
9,213 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Another reason to use an actual monitor over a TV is that modern TVs are still susceptible to burn in.  Not as much as the old plasma technology TVs but it is still very much a thing that can happen, even with OLED TVs.

This is true. However, I use a 50" first-gen Samsung plasma, over 10 years old, used about 5-7 hrs/day the first few years, then 2-3 hrs/day after that, and it's only been the last year or so that the burn-in has gotten permanent and can't be wiped away by playing a different game for awhile.

Even then, it's only noticeable when the screen is mostly solid black or white, with no motion, unless you really look.

IOW, the only time I can see it in WoWS, is during the loading screen. In port, screen is too busy, and when playing, too much motion.

If I can get this much use out of a plasma, I'm not worried about an OLED.

Main reason I like the bigger screen is that I can sit back in an easy chair with my feet on an ottoman, and if I spill a drink, I could just leave it, and it wouldn't get near the tower.

Question about that though, what is the difference between streaming and gaming, as far as the monitor/TV is concerned?

[A-D-F]
7,931 posts
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

This is true. However, I use a 50" first-gen Samsung plasma, over 10 years old, used about 5-7 hrs/day the first few years, then 2-3 hrs/day after that, and it's only been the last year or so that the burn-in has gotten permanent and can't be wiped away by playing a different game for awhile.

Even then, it's only noticeable when the screen is mostly solid black or white, with no motion, unless you really look.

IOW, the only time I can see it in WoWS, is during the loading screen. In port, screen is too busy, and when playing, too much motion.

If I can get this much use out of a plasma, I'm not worried about an OLED.

Main reason I like the bigger screen is that I can sit back in an easy chair with my feet on an ottoman, and if I spill a drink, I could just leave it, and it wouldn't get near the tower.

Question about that though, what is the difference between streaming and gaming, as far as the monitor/TV is concerned?

None really.  The thing that causes burn in is a static image.  More specifically, a pixel that doesn't change states for a long time.  It doesn't really matter what the source is, it just matters if it doesn't "move" for a long time.

This is why on the old arcade games it was always the title screen of the game that got burned into the monitor.  It is also why TV network logos are now not a solid color and if you watch them down in the corner very closely, they move around a few pixels once in a while.

If an image is moving your are fine.  If an image, or any part of that image remains the same for a very long time, it risks damaging those pixels.  So it's the things like menus, the HUD, maybe the middle of the streamer's shirt etc. 

OLED TVs are more resilient to it than plasmas are/were and the older the TV, the less risk there is.  The most risk is when the TV is new, under a few hundred hours or whatever.

[TDRB]
Members
5,148 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

I would be concerned about your 1050TI pushing it for gaming as well. Yes, monitors with 144hz refresh rates are great but you need more than a 1050Ti for gaming.