You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Jean Bart Help

10 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
573 posts
18,551 battles

I need help with Jean Bart play style. I'm having a hard time doing significant damage  to targets that aren't completely broadside.

Halp

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,066 posts
15,063 battles

Howdy,  Pretty new to JB myself, but its a wonderful ship.  I am probably more mobile than I should be playing it, but its speed is great to move to the sound of the guns.  First off, get all the damage control type Captain skills, its tempting to build it for secondary, but don't do it.   The key is the gun configuration.  Point bow at biggest BB threats and point guns at targets of best exposure/broadside and use AP.  If you get a good broadside, hit the reload consumable and get in a couple of extra shots...these add up.  JB 15' guns can citadel anything on a flat broadside.  If target is angled and higher tier and its a BB switch to HE and light them up!  Same tier I may shoot both, lower tier I will try and blow into the bow armor with AP.  Because of the speed boost you can back out quickly, and that can be very effective to mitigate damage if your getting focused.  Use premium consumables (your making money so why not?) and good damage reducing flags.

Another tactic is to use your speed to get to one flank and if it is DD safe, push and then turn in, bow tanking but getting great cross fire opportunities.  Other team starts reacting with numbers, hit the speed boost and back out....angling your ship to enemy BBs, don't stay straight bow on, but a bit of an angle.

Biggest mistakes with fast BBs is you tend to lead to far in front of supporting BBs and get focused.  Turning and running before this happens is important skill to learn.  Bad thing about JB is that you get no parting shots, but angle away (kiting) and you can still get some shots in.

In 4 battles I am avg 122k damage....this is a much better ship than I thought it would be.  Fits my play style very well.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,245 posts
21,676 battles

I pick an island close to a cap to protect my broadside and shoot everything else. Bow on she is a tank.

The ability to push is great if you can protect your flanks.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,081 posts
1 hour ago, Bortt said:

... I'm having a hard time doing significant damage  to targets that aren't completely broadside ...

As someone else implied ... HE doesn't care about broadside.  With JB you need to be using BOTH HE and AP depending on your target's angle.  Doing so, you'll get more damage and make more coin.  Reload Booster with AP can be devastating when your target makes a mistake and does give you her side.  Good Luck!

p.s.  I also run AFT for the secondaries ... 10.1km ... they can really surprise a DD trying to sneak in on you and aren't bad on capital ships either.

Members
5,417 posts
10,467 battles

It is a flanker and gets hurt badly when caught in a cross fire.  I generally only shoot AP in it and if you come across a broadside German BB - aim at teh superstructure with AP.  You can cit cruisers all day long in it as well, and a decent DD hunter.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,600 battles

Jean Bart is what Richelieu should have been : guns that reload fast and hit target.

I bought JB yesterday and honestly, I'm not regretting my purchase at all. You abuse your speed to get in position, abuse your shell velocity to snipe broadside when nothing is at close / mid range and when a cruiser or BB is commiting to show broadside, pop MBRB and blast him.

Sometime you'll just have to HE spam even against cruiser because 27mm armour but that's not a big issue. You always wants to move, don't stop and tank, you don't have the armour to do so. You use it like an oversized super cruiser that has speed boost.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

let me teach you the ways of jean bart.

JB is not a ship made for brawling,her secondaires will lie to you and her gun setup behave like a jousting knight,you gonna need to turn arund to fire a enemy behind you,and that's a big NO to JB.

what you want is to force the enemy to shoot at you when your ship is angled,kitting or bow tanking. JB speed and agility ensures that she can attack while retreating and angle back again  to bounce shells or evade.

her secondaries exist as a force multiplier,they can set fires and if properly setup have very good accuracy and rate of fire. never rely them to stack damage like massachussets or bourbogne and alsace.

JB guns have very good fire chance,use it when fighting against bow tanking and angled opponents,her accuracy ensures that you will get hits,no problem in using HE all the time,she can burn ships well.

you use AP when the enemy is broadside,some light cruisers can still take a beating even when angled,avoid hitting heavy cruises bow tanking you with AP,use HE.

her AA is great enough that make you a risky target for CVs,even midways.

bow camping multiple enemies is a death sentence to any ship,and JB is no exception,they can overload your damage control fire and stack up flames and flood. she don't have the HP to tank.

always keep moving unless you have a situation that requires you to bow  tank.and such situation  is not to act as a forlon hope,that's a quick way back to the port.

TLDR

use and abuse JB strength

-use her good speed and agility

-take advantage of her quick reloading guns to change ammo according to the situation

-never,if possible,give the enemy a chance to hit your boradside.

-use her good HE shells to attack heavy targets and DDs,her accuracy is great at middle ranges.

Edited by Cruxdei
  • Cool 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

I don't own it, but I have the coal so I've studied it.
Looks to me like the 2 biggest things are
1. Swap ammo types frequently.
2. Use that reload boost consumable anytime you can, don't save it.

Members
1,725 posts
11,839 battles

JB, like other ships coated in 32mm requires more awareness in the enemies you face.   Yammys and Mus will feast on you if you just sit still or bow in.   Parking in front of a bunch of HE flamethrowers will see you melt very very quickly.  You want to use your speed and stay as mobile when you can, or if you get into a bow tanking situation, have terrain nearby to duck back into cover. 

Due to the fact you have 15in guns, you have to be willing to switch back and forth between HE and AP.  Anticipate what the enemy will do, and make proper use of the MRB.  Wasting them is a massive waste in your  potential impact.