You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Chiv

Best advice for those doing rental in Rank

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

You have to understand that those of us who are not in rentals are gonna really not like you. So how you play and what you pick will matter greatly.

STOP PICKING SHIMAKAZE. 

In all seriousness, dd is to high a skill cap for someone to just rent and be effective in. You would be better picking a bb or a cruiser as the skill cap is much lower.

STOP YOLOING

Work with your team and concentrate fire on a single target.

KILLING DD"S IS A PRIORITY.

This kinda goes back to the Shimakaze one. You need to be able to deal with enemy dds because in this format they can and will screw your team.

JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE A REAR GUN DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO USE IT CONSTANTLY

By using your back guns at the same time as your front guns you are most likely showing a broadside to your target and increase the likely hood you will be citadeled

[-TKS-]
Members
835 posts
15,381 battles
6 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

You have to understand that those of us who are not in rentals are gonna really not like you. So how you play and what you pick will matter greatly.

STOP PICKING SHIMAKAZE. 

In all seriousness, dd is to high a skill cap for someone to just rent and be effective in. You would be better picking a bb or a cruiser as the skill cap is much lower.

STOP YOLOING

This kinda goes back to the Shimakaze one. You need to be able to deal with enemy dds because in this format they can and will screw your team.

By using your back guns at the same time as your front guns you are most likely showing a broadside to your target and increase the likely hood you will be citadeled

UMM fix your title cause that should be for everyone playing ranked ......... 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[KSD]
Members
263 posts
12,608 battles

Also, something to take into account is that rental ships cannot apply camouflages and therefore have a worse detection than their counterpart. It’s best to pick a ship where your detection is not a priority as you will most likely be outdetected by the enemy team which will hurt the team badly. 

[NPG]
Members
165 posts
3,263 battles

I'd say have some experience in a tier 9 that is similar to what you are renting. Have a musashi and do well in it then use a yami. Place a decent Captain on whatever ship you are using that will work to that ship's strength. You are already at a disadvantage on the camo side of things so be willing to spend the cash on the mountable upgrades. Run premium consumables. I had thought of using rentals since the highest I had was 9s but since I don't want to throw the cash away on the mountable equipment I'm doing the smart thing and staying out of it. You'd be wise to do the same if you don't meet these minimum criteria. 

[PISD]
Members
1,470 posts
5,706 battles
9 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

Incoming bow tanking Gearing ;-)

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,528 battles

Yeah.. still not sure why people are picking rental DD's. The no camo thing affects DD's the most.

I'm also seeing DD's with no 10 point captain and no concealment module......stop doing that.

Edited by Bortt

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

1. Stop picking 20 km torps

2. Turn off your AA guns if you don't want to spotted by CV's.

[SYN]
Members
1,358 posts
10,602 battles
7 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

1. Stop picking 20 km torps

I haven't played this season, yet, but this is a biggie.  Last season, there were few enough radar ships to make the quicker reload worthwhile. 

CVs will test that benefit when I have the opportunity. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,101 posts
14,728 battles
35 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

STOP PICKING SHIMAKAZE. 

STOP YOLOING

Well, if you are a really good Shimakaze driver you can but gun boat DD's are a better choice.

Yolo'ng is really being over aggressive. It is a fine line between aggressive and over aggressive, if you are getting blapped early on a regular basis you may be over aggressive.

DD's are always the priority target if you have a shot at them.

I so wish that they would turn bow tanking on its head and make that getting your T crossed the aspect that gets punished and showing your broadside the one that reduces damage. The advantage of this is games would be less static as people would want to be on the move.

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles
28 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I so wish that they would turn bow tanking on its head and make that getting your T crossed the aspect that gets punished and showing your broadside the one that reduces damage. The advantage of this is games would be less static as people would want to be on the move.

They used the WOT game engine when they developed WoWs unfortunately.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,101 posts
14,728 battles
2 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The could add to the damage coming through the front or rear and reduce the damage coming from the sides.

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles

Since when did people get so lazy that they can't properly spell BEcause?

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles
5 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Ummm, while this is true, I'm not sure I see what it has to do with bow tanking vs T-crossing.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
32 posts
1,627 battles

Ok, can use some advice.

Took my first crack at Ranked today.  I have access to the rental BBs & Cruisers as my highest tier ship I own is an 8.  Took the Hindenburg out and was following what was going on in chat, trying to be of some good.  Ended up blasting a chasing cruiser off of one of our DDs to free him up.  We ended up losing the match after I did about 90k worth of damage.  No one really said anything in the chat about it, but I come to find out I lost 4 karma points after the battle....so at least a couple people had their nuts fried that I was in there.

For a first try at ranked that was really a turn off.

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Ummm, while this is true, I'm not sure I see what it has to do with bow tanking vs T-crossing.

The game treats ships as tanks on water. The strongest armor is to the bow/stern of the ship, not on the sides.  Why else did they determine AP over match that way? It's a silly way to do that for a warship. but not for a tank. Crossing the "T" is the prized naval tactic because you have all your firepower brought to bear while your opponent can't. In this game? It's a quick death. That was my name of WoWs. WOT naval edition. It changed of WoWp's, naval edition now though. 

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles
9 minutes ago, LemSat87 said:

Ok, can use some advice.

Took my first crack at Ranked today.  I have access to the rental BBs & Cruisers as my highest tier ship I own is an 8.  Took the Hindenburg out and was following what was going on in chat, trying to be of some good.  Ended up blasting a chasing cruiser off of one of our DDs to free him up.  We ended up losing the match after I did about 90k worth of damage.  No one really said anything in the chat about it, but I come to find out I lost 4 karma points after the battle....so at least a couple people had their nuts fried that I was in there.

A few things.  The knee jerk reaction that many have it to - karma or + karma in game but that is often when they see that 30 seconds of your action..  Now it could have been a stupid move  that you did but recovered and got you pinged but that is usually only 1 or maybe 2.  It may also be that the enemy did not like you very much and they can also - karma you so do not discount that.

Towards the mid game if someone obviously farming damage or rather playing "save-a-star" mode you can expect a whole bunch of - karmas because it is rude to play the game like that.

I have not yet heard of people - karma because of rentals but it would not surprise me as there are those that do it for CV's so I guess it happens.

What I find odd is that my karma goes up during ranked and falls during random games, I think my counter is broken thou.  At then end of the day Karma does nothing but it is nice to know that you are a nice person to play with or even against.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles
16 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

The game treats ships as tanks on water. The strongest armor is to the bow/stern of the ship, not on the sides.  Why else did they determine AP over match that way? It's a silly way to do that for a warship. but not for a tank. Crossing the "T" is the prized naval tactic because you have all your firepower brought to bear while your opponent can't. In this game? It's a quick death. That was my name of WoWs. WOT naval edition. It changed of WoWp's, naval edition now though. 

T-crossing was more of a  tactic during the sail era of naval combat because you could only mount many guns along the broadsides of a ship, but only a couple of chaser guns in the bow or stern.  I get that even in the mid 20th century, naval combat was still dominated by fighting over your broadside so that you could bring more guns to bear, but I don't think it was absolutely necessary, unless I'm missing something.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,254 posts
12,281 battles
1 hour ago, The_Chiv said:

STOP PICKING SHIMAKAZE. 

STOP YOLOING

This channel is not secure enough. STOP TRAINING THE REDS. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

Guys lets try to keep this a bit on topic. Advice for rental players. Big brother is watching:fish_viking:

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,597 battles
3 hours ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

UMM fix your title cause that should be for everyone playing ranked ......... 

lol this to me was a lot funnier than it should have

[GRAVE]
Members
1,358 posts
19,469 battles
2 hours ago, LemSat87 said:

Ok, can use some advice.

best guess is that there are many people who hate the idea of rentals being introduced to ranked mainly due to the players who have to use rentals have no business being in T10 ships, let alone a competitive gamemode, and losing them the game and a star ( but with some posts and stories going around on the forums recently they have good reason to be upset when they see rentals).

The flipside is that there almost as many people with T10s and well over 10k games who hate the rental ships idea but even they probably have no business being in T10 ships as they failed (some cases horrendously bad) to many T10s.

All I can say is ignore those who say rental ship players have no place in ranked, do your best, and try to enjoy Ranked Season 12: Return of the CVs or Ranked Season 12: The Ultimate Shipshow