You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Weapons System Wednesday - Ranked Battles

33 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers
1,752 posts
10,344 battles

800px-USS_Des_Moines_%28CA-134%29_4.jpg

*pictured - USS Des Moines sailing out of Hampton Roads en route to NATO exercises with the 6th Fleet on 18 February 1958*

Which warship are you taking into Ranked Battles and what configuration/loadout are you equipping?

In the 12th Season of Ranked Battles, Tier X vessels are in the order of battle.

From destroyers, cruisers, battleships, and even aircraft carriers, all captains can choose which weapons system is their pick to bring home a star.

When Ranked Battles is on the horizon, which warship(s) in port are on Alert-status 5?

"This ship is built to fight. You had better know how." - Arleigh Burke, U.S. Navy

#weaponsystemwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,103 posts
14,728 battles

So far in the five ranked matches I have done I have taken the Grosser Kurfurst with a full secondary build.

• Cool 2

[KSD]
Members
263 posts
12,623 battles

I’ve been using the Kremlin and Yammy for the most part. Teams have been pretty bad this season. But I tend to do well in those 2 ships. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,648 posts
20,552 battles

I took the Harugumo and the Shimmy.  Then, the rentals and the Carriers showed up and that was it.........the game quality went out the window and matches became who had the least of the worst..... 

I stopped playing at 10.   Just not worth the insanity you'all created this time around.  Sorry.

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

Kremlin and Bourgogne working wonders for me. Got Honoroe in Burger and Vaslenski (RIP spelling) in Kremlin (while I stare longingly at Kuznetzov). Standard BB build for Bourgogne, and for Kremlin I took high alert over AR for that cheeky DCP usage. Working really well. Already at rank 5 waiting for the queue to populate. 

• Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,090 battles

Des memes, because you can easy farm dmg if you going lose when get rent ships in your team.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

Unique Upgrade Conqueror. Specced for maximum maneuverability. Add a 19 point Bert Dunkirk

PT, EL

JAOT, EM AR

SU

FP CE 

JAOT and EM are buffs. That gives you a turret traverse of 4.9 degrees/sec, so the guns can keep up with the turns. Battery reload of 26.4 seconds to start. Rudder shift of 8 seconds .EL allows you to switch from AP to HE on demand. Add the flags and you have a battleship that is more nimble than some CA's. Add the fire spamming and the ability to print 75% of the ship with  the super heal. The name of the game is not to mindlessly spam HE, but to use AP also. If you want to break the secondary/AA guns, HE spamming works.

Edited by Bill_Halsey
  • Cool 2

[MHG]
Members
352 posts
11,362 battles

I've tried a mix of several ships myself, including Midway. Nothing has quite performed as well as Kremlin has for me. That thing is an absolute monster if you can play it carefully and avoid showing that massive citadel you have. Shells hit like trucks. I have never seen as many citadel hits in any other ship as I have in Kremlin. Hilarity guaranteed when you catch a full broad Yamato coming around an island edge a bit too broad and smash 8 of 9 shells into the side for pens/citadels. I have NEVER hit a ship as hard as I hit that poor guy. 

• Cool 1

[WG]
1,752 posts
10,344 battles
13 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

This whole writers column is a waste of energy. The subject matter is non informational and trite.

Simplified version:

Which ship(s) are you taking into Ranked Battles?

Learning more about the Fleet is critical to not only my job but it builds constructive and informative conversation.

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[WG]
1,752 posts
10,344 battles
12 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

Des memes, because you can easy farm dmg if you going lose when get rent ships in your team.

+1!

#anchorsaweigh

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,426 battles

Well, for me the choice is exceptionally simple.  I have exactly one Tier X ship, the Des Moines so when I go into ranked, she's my go to ship because she's the only one I have.  

That's actually not unusual for me.  When I first started playing Ranked, it was at Tier VII and the only tier VII I had was, you guessed it, the T7 Pensacola.  So the Pennsy got a lot more playing time and I was able to move her up to the T VIII New Orleans, then T8 Ranked appears and, yet again my tier VIII choices were limited so New Orleans saw a lot more playing time.  

End result, my US cruiser line reached T10 before my other lines because Ranked participation forced me to use them far more often than the other ships in my harbor.  

Maybe by next season, I'll have the Grosser Kurfurst in port (mainly for the same reason, I had Bismark for T8 Ranked and then FDG for T9 ranked so I'm closer to T10 with German battleships than I am with any other line save US heavy cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,440 posts
20,600 battles
52 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:
1 hour ago, HyenaHiena said:

+1!

#anchorsaweigh

Did you just +1 a quote talking crapabout rental ship users? :cap_like:

I've been playing CVs and Worcester, because both have a high degree of operational autonomy.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers
1,804 posts
11,580 battles

I’m driving the Daring.  Her DD combat capability in unequaled outside of Harugumo and the short smoke timers give decent relief against the onslaught of CV rocket planes.  

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
836 posts
15,402 battles

Full AA yamato, i mean full.  took the Gremlin for a bit as well .  

funny though i hate seeing mino's and woosters on my team even though they are true aa . 

*just recalled that i had to remove aa mod 2 to and put legendary mod on since i couldn't hit anything with my Roma  Yamato. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,648 posts
20,552 battles
1 hour ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Simplified version:

Which ship(s) are you taking into Ranked Battles?

Learning more about the Fleet is critical to not only my job but it builds constructive and informative conversation.

#anchorsaweigh

Out of curiosity, and @Femennenly took a trip out into the Scenario to experience what a mess that is in non-prime time NA, what was your success rate in Ranked?  I am curious what the "home team's" thoughts are about Ranked and, the same for the current scenario?  What did you think of ranked with these changes versus what ranked was a year ago?

We'd like to know as customer's what you think and what you experienced....   So we can learn and share opinions with those whom "might be able to influence changes" that are affecting us.  i.e. Rental ships, Carriers in Ranked, distribution of rented versus ground T10 ships, etc....

[WOLFC]
Members
3,067 posts
2 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Which warship are you taking into Ranked Battles and what configuration/loadout are you equipping?

Haven't taken a chance to play yet and never been interested in Tier 10.  But since I'm at Rank 14 based on last season's finish, I won't pass up 600 Steel just for logging into battle once.  And if it goes OK, I may try for Rank 10 again for another 700 Steel.

Was thinking of taking the [Conqueror] with the same camo as the Des Moines in your photo. :Smile_sad: Regardless of final choice, it will have modules, signals and a 14-19 point Captain.  Maybe I'll blend in among the Hash Browns.  

• Cool 1

[SYKO]
Members
322 posts
14,766 battles

I used a rental Yamato for a few games but the quality of game play was so poor I went back to randoms. I am looking forward to the next lower tier sprint.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,263 posts
17,046 battles
23 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Out of curiosity, and @Femennenly took a trip out into the Scenario to experience what a mess that is in non-prime time NA, what was your success rate in Ranked?  I am curious what the "home team's" thoughts are about Ranked and, the same for the current scenario?  What did you think of ranked with these changes versus what ranked was a year ago?

We'd like to know as customer's what you think and what you experienced....   So we can learn and share opinions with those whom "might be able to influence changes" that are affecting us.  i.e. Rental ships, Carriers in Ranked, distribution of rented versus ground T10 ships, etc....

I mean, I was alright with how my Scenario game went, given I haven't played Scenarios in forever (Just like you guys, we're allowed to not like modes too :P) I was going to give it a go in another ship later this afternoon. 

Many of us having been playing ranked at various levels and times during the day to get a feel of how the current season so we can assess community concerns and reply in a knowledgeable manner. Honestly, my personal experience has been yea, there are rental ships around, getting out of the 18-10 bracket reduced them considerably, and they haven't been the sole cause for games being lost for me *looks at the 3 earned DDs that died within 3 minutes the other day*. Of course every player screws up from time to time. Blaming everything on Rentals however I feel is a bit of a stretch...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,989 posts
10,430 battles

Salem. I’ve only played a couple matches so far this season, but that crazy heal has served me well.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,648 posts
20,552 battles
47 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

I mean, I was alright with how my Scenario game went, given I haven't played Scenarios in forever (Just like you guys, we're allowed to not like modes too :P) I was going to give it a go in another ship later this afternoon. 

Many of us having been playing ranked at various levels and times during the day to get a feel of how the current season so we can assess community concerns and reply in a knowledgeable manner. Honestly, my personal experience has been yea, there are rental ships around, getting out of the 18-10 bracket reduced them considerably, and they haven't been the sole cause for games being lost for me *looks at the 3 earned DDs that died within 3 minutes the other day*. Of course every player screws up from time to time. Blaming everything on Rentals however I feel is a bit of a stretch...

Blame goes a long and virtual way in my experiences.....  I screw up and that cascades into everyone having a bad day.  I started ranked early before a lot of the Carriers and Rentals became involved....  I had 10 or so games in I think before I saw my first Carrier.  Then, rental ships started to filter in....  I got out while the getting was good it seems....  Many of my friends in game bailed out early too.  Carriers got to me more than the rentals: just couldn't survive them no matter how I tried.....  Anyway, thanks for the reply !  For me, back to COOP and maybe, scenarios if we use a Division.....  Otherwise, not value-added time wise.........COOP is more efficient.

[WG]
1,752 posts
10,344 battles
2 hours ago, Edgecase said:

Did you just +1 a quote talking crapabout rental ship users? :cap_like:

I've been playing CVs and Worcester, because both have a high degree of operational autonomy.

It was +1 for the Des Moines being taken into battle not about rental ships.

:cap_like:

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WG]
1,752 posts
10,344 battles
1 minute ago, NeoRussia said:

c5944371d9.png

AFT, Manual Sec, IFHE. The way this ship is meant to be played.

Bravo zulu captain!

#anchorsaweigh

Members
3,679 posts
8,111 battles

I am a bit disappointed that we can only take tier X into the battle, for example there's just something that harugumo cannot replace about the Kitakaze, specifically the manoeuvrability, speed, concealment, and not taking full bb AP pens. But that's not an issue that WG can easily fix, and overall this ranked battle has been largely enjoyable to play.

My favorite tool of trade is the vaunted veteran Montana, her sturdy armor, good ergonomics, and devastating salvos never loses her appeal.Screen_Shot_2019-06-04_at_11.30.07.png

I've had success with Yamato too, but after taking 3 25k Hakuryu AP bomb salvos and erased from the game before 10 minutes I decided the risk of running into CVs is just not worth it. I've also had decent success with Moskva and Hindenburg, but from what I see this season, battleships carries the most momentum and dictates the pace of the fight. 

A shame I don't yet possess the Kremlin, the new comer's sturdy armor, fast reloading damage controls, and fantastic AA alone makes her a worthy tier X, strong close range artillery is more the icing on the cake.

• Cool 2