Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sovereigndawg

"Operations Hell Week" or "Get A Team"

31 comments in this topic

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,110 battles

WG please fix Newport Station. When Newport is the operation I play the game less. I have to play with a full dedicated team and then we really never play Newport. Random teams rarely win with 1 or 2 stars even, there are far too many defeats, rendering the operation not worth the time to play it. Full ops teams don't even waste their time with Newport, which has always been a bit of a waste of time. It's not that the operation can't be won and it is, challenging. So @Femennenly, @Radar_X, @Kami, I challenge you and other WG staff to play 5 Newport Station operations this week with a random team (no division) and see what results you get and how fun it was. I can't find people at certain times of the day for a full team and I want at least a chance, if I join a random team, that there is a good chance of success. I don't think it would take much to make it better, Maybe as easy as dropping one or maybe two of the BBs from one or two of the initial swarms. What do you other Operations players think of Newport Station? I my self wouldn't mind if it was out of the weekly line up and only playable by choice and a team of 4 or more. It would probably never get played again if that was how you had to play it.

Please, also get the other operations back in the line up or make some more new ones, we have waited long enough already.

• Cool 5

Members
338 posts

It's not that awful in my experience. Like, I don't have strings of defeats on it or anything. 

But getting five stars is pretty difficult with randoms, and I agree it doesn't feel worth the time compared to the other operations. 

Definitely not one of my favorites. 

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,263 posts
17,099 battles

So, challenge accepted;

This was my 2nd round (first one I derp'd a little in a Perth because I forgot how the operation went) - Done with randoms

image.png

We did have the issue that one of our CAs died in the first 2 minutes because he did what I did in the first round xD We were 4 seconds short of being 4 stars, I'll try and get in another round or two and see if I have more results. Ultimately tho, I didn't find it too bad. 

Fem, 

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
10 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

So, challenge accepted;

This was my 2nd round (first one I derp'd a little in a Perth because I forgot how the operation went) - Done with randoms

That's nice. But it still isn't nearly as fun as the other Ops because of the (lack of) learning curve for players to not just sit behind the line. IMO a slightly longer delay between the 2nd and 3rd wave (with a corresponding increase in time to kill them) would fix it almost entirely. That or starting players WAY further forward so they have to DELIBERATELY run back instead of just not moving from the start. But to echo the Ops attitude, I do play Ops far less when it is the weekly. It is the current weakest, least fun Op.

And something about it has changed over the years. It used to be one of the easiest ones, but I suspect the nerf to AP vs. DD's has made the 2nd and 3rd Wave exceeding difficult as too much of the team hides and cannot DPS down the DD's as rapidly as they used to.

Edited by _RC1138
  • Cool 1

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
9 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

So, challenge accepted;

image.png

We did have the issue that one of our CAs died in the first 2 minutes because he did what I did in the first round xD We were 4 seconds short of being 4 stars, I'll try and get in another round or two and see if I have more results. Ultimately tho, I didn't find it too bad. 

Fem, 

Well to those of us in the Hoperations discord for organized operations play, the issue of losing stars easily means vast majority of the time we don't bother with it. To us, anything less than five stars is considered a loss. Most of the time we play it is either to help someone get five stars or if we simply don't have enough in the division to run other operations when Newport is op of the week. 

Edited by Lightninger

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
23,196 battles

There is definitely something off with this particular scenario. I tried it a few times pre rework in all 4 ship types and today 1 time in Ryugo. Every try was a total loss.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,570 posts
18,110 battles
1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

So, challenge accepted;

image.png

Fem, 

Thanks Fem for taking the challenge, I hope the other staff does it too. I am not saying that there are not good teams and good games. I play operations because I don't have enough credits to buy ships ever, plenty of XP all of the time but never credits. The last time I 5 starred this operation was with a team on the Hoperations channel and as @Lightninger stated some one needed to 5 star it, otherwise we never play it unless we don't have enough people and need public players. We sometimes do 4 player Narai instead of Newport, which by the way is a blast if you have never done it. Really Fem you should check out the Hoperations channel on Discord lots of fun late night shenanigans going on in operations. Just the fact that we don't play Newport unless we have to should give WG an indication that it needs Help. Play a few more if you have time and see what I mean and try to look at the operation from a person who just put a few of their precious Special signals on to grind something of importance. Have your fellow WG employees try a few and see their results. It's not a signal/camo worthy Operation

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PVE]
Members
4,665 posts
20,600 battles

So, challenge accepted;

image.png

Fem, 

So far, 0 for 3, and they weren't even close.....  With a Division from our Clan, PT CST, most times we come off with 3+....  Now, this scenario just isn't going to happen.   Skill level is too low and the BOTs are always top line....  Skill needs to be considered because the BOTs just about never miss a crippled or damaged ship....  There has to be a reasonable dispersion that matches the skill level or the ship level of the team against them....

Many of us average players have been run out of Randoms.  The same with Ranked with rental ships and CV's that have run me off at level 10......anything going forward just isn't worth the frustration and is more "luck" than "skill".  Now, one of the "safe places" for less skilled, new or average players is eroding during non-prime time....  Something has to give @Femennenly or there will be nothing left to play???

[ARGSY]
Members
21,663 posts
15,713 battles

I find that most of the failures come as a consequence of random players who don't understand how ABSOLUTELY critical it is to focus and annihilate any bot that gets near the base perimeter.

A team of randoms which understands that usually does not fail absolutely, and sometimes will five-star it (even with such a :etc_swear: useless CV-potato as me derping about the place in his Furious). I was lucky enough to have a good team that worked together to five-star it and kill the ships I did my best to weaken. I got my five-star reward; I either see no reason to torture myself with this op again, OR I could be selfish and use it as target practice for my carriers, hoping I get a good team that understands what to do and can shoot straight and quick enough to do it.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,309 posts

So, challenge accepted;

image.png

Fem, 

Three stars, that counts as a loss and gets filed under,"We never speak of this again".

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
8,550 battles

Is there still a plan to add "Hard Mode" to Scenarios? I played a lot of Aegis lately to get a couple ships up to Tier 7 (and now I have a new Shiratsuyu and a new Gadjah Mada !!). And frankly that operation is not that difficult. In 10+ Random games, I probably got 4 or 5 stars all but once.

So maybe they could dial back Naval Station Newport a little and then add a Hard Mode for those that want more of a challenge. Pretty much all the other Ops could stay as is for Normal, with added Hard Modes.

A "Hard Mode" with greater challenge and greater rewards would be really cool.

Thanks Wargaming!

Members
2,439 posts
14,392 battles

Hard mode is already in.  See how few people you can bring in to tackle it :)  I don't recall what the absolute minimum is but I know you used to be able to go in with less than a full group.

[SRPH]
Members
7 posts
11,261 battles

The main problem with this op is the CV rework.

Trying to practice CV play in the co-op mode puts a nearly useless CV on the human team and a BB on the bot team.  I cannot bring myself to do that to my fellow human players.  This makes operations the only place where being a CV does not make the enemy stronger.  However, this op requires a lot of damage dealt out right at the start, so a weak CV player sinks the team [which means that I have given up playing CVs outside of training rooms, but I cannot get one of those going, either, so I have given up playing CVs].

I used to enjoy this op, but not since the CV rework.  Basically, if you want to succeed, abandon the queue if there is a CV waiting to play.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,721 battles
4 minutes ago, RLBell said:

The main problem with this op is the CV rework.

Trying to practice CV play in the co-op mode puts a nearly useless CV on the human team and a BB on the bot team.  I cannot bring myself to do that to my fellow human players.  This makes operations the only place where being a CV does not make the enemy stronger.  However, this op requires a lot of damage dealt out right at the start, so a weak CV player sinks the team [which means that I have given up playing CVs outside of training rooms, but I cannot get one of those going, either, so I have given up playing CVs].

I used to enjoy this op, but not since the CV rework.  Basically, if you want to succeed, abandon the queue if there is a CV waiting to play.

You get horrible players in all ship types not just CVs, the rework just invites people to try out CVs when in fact they may not have touched it prior to it, so they are relatively new to the game play.

Some picks it up quick, other a bit slower and some (or more) just don't improve, this goes for every ship class.

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

Is that the one where the izumo spawns at the end? I hate that one absolutely miserable.

Members
194 posts
1,137 battles

I ummmmmm.....i had an interesting experience with Newport....was playing my Furious...When wave 2 started....all that was left was me and a single cruiser......don't ask me what happened, I don't even know.

This certainly doesn't rival when I ran into am Amagi in Aegis tho. That.....that was a shock.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,833 posts
4,733 battles
5 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

What do you other Operations players think of Newport Station?

I hate it and won't play it if I don't have to, even with a full Ops team.  I won't play it at all with a pick-up team. 

Full Ops crew has about the same success rate as in Ultimate FU with a tailored team: common fails and rare 5-stars. 

I have no specific suggestions for "fixing" it, but I would like to see the stats for non-div teams.  I wager they indicate that it should be made a bit easier, perhaps by making the surveillance stations more effective.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,833 posts
4,733 battles
1 hour ago, RLBell said:

training rooms, but I cannot get one of those going

I find the interface confusing, at best.  What problem are you having, trying to populate the red side?

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,471 battles

This op is nowhere near as difficult as it used to be. I've seen some spectacular blowouts, but most of the time teams can scramble to clear it with at least 3 or 4 stars. It's not Narai where outright failure is a common occurrence. Or Ultimate Frontier when that was around.

Members
1,476 posts
17,549 battles

I used to really like this scenario but now not so much. I don't even play it any more. Too much work for too little reward. They buffed it far beyond what it needed. Five star wins are still possible just not very probable.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,430 battles
2 hours ago, SerynFate said:

This certainly doesn't rival when I ran into am Amagi in Aegis tho. That.....that was a shock.

Yes, but it’s oh so satisfying when your team actually manages to sink the cursed thing. I’ve only seen the ship a few times, and only sunk it once, but damn was it cathartic. I think we still lost that round though...

But in regards to the OP; yeah, Newport just isn’t fun. Too much frustration for too little reward.

Edited by Nevermore135

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

Yes, but it’s oh so satisfying when your team actually manages to sink the cursed thing. I’ve only seen the ship a few times, and only sunk it once, but damn was it cathartic. I think we still lost that round though...

Do you want to see a replay or two showing the Amagi spawning?

Sign in to follow this