You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DuckyShot

Strongest tech tree ship in the game

51 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
7,088 posts
16,375 battles

You'd have a hard time convincing me that, tier for tier, there is a stronger tech tree ship in the game than Mahan. 

This boat is a fletcher that can see t5 ships. You thought that the rate of fire on the 5 in guns was good at t9?? Wait until you throw ifhe on a Mahan and get exactly the same dpm and rof against ships that you pen the majority of, unlike the fletcher. The only thing the fletcher gets is a miniscule range increase on its guns. Although it's torps are a bit shorter range and don't hit as hard, it gets 3 racks and load faster. 

The fletcher obviously gets lower detection, but in this meta where few people are willing to bring dds, you can sit in the second line absolutely farming the enemy team. So your concealment doesn't even matter. 

This ship is utterly broken at t7. The fact that the majority of the player base is garbage in it keep it in this broken state and make it one the unparalleled stat paddlers in the game. The miniscule 3k difference in its health vs a fletcher means that a good player could easily take down a fletcher in a 1v1. Hopefully the player base keeps underperforming in this ship so that it stays in this broken, stat padding state. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

Members
120 posts
2,920 battles

Brace for Kremlin spams. 

JK

Edited by MommaSheep1738
  • Meh 1

[H_]
Members
748 posts
12,093 battles

Well to be honest that's not one of the ships I was even remotely considering as the strongest.. LOL.. What you say does make a lot of sense and I do like my Mahan..

Not sure I could actually pick one ship that I'd consider the strongest now that I've gone through the list in my head.. hmm..

Be interesting to see what people choose. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,368 battles

Midway? 

• Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
4,896 posts
6,590 battles

Strong and a definite sleeper gudbote at tier VII, sure.

From personal experience and usage Kitakaze is one of, if not the strongest tech tree ship in the game.

Good speed, high HP pool, the sixtuple torp launcher that fires Shima torps with a TRB, 32mm HE pen, the tier IX reload module, good AA for a DD and good detection. Oh, and benefits from the BB AP overpen.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,932 posts
3 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Side track question: if the Mahan is so good, why can't I make the Sims work?

Other than also being a DD, they don't share much in common.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Furutaka needs to be an honorable mention this list.  The ability to bully T5 ships with 203mm guns is simply disgusting.

Nassau is easily the best T3 tech tree battleship by far.

• Meh 1

Members
1,344 posts
3,206 battles
3 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Side track question: if the Mahan is so good, why can't I make the Sims work?

Because it's not named Mahan, clearly.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,516 posts
9,825 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Furutaka needs to be an honorable mention this list.  The ability to bully T5 ships with 203mm guns is simply disgusting.

Nassau is easily the best T3 tech tree battleship by far.

Furutaka also has just enough armor to bait a BB and then torpedo it during reload.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,942 posts
20,025 battles

Hmmm, tough question 

If we throw out all the tier 10 tech tree ships

At tier 9 Kitakaze and Fletcher  with maybe Chung Mu  

Not going to suggest any tier 8 since they always get up tiered 

Below that would have to vote for Fiji as a standout in 7 to 5

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
10 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Furutaka also has just enough armor to bait a BB and then torpedo it during reload.

Oh yeah, forgot about those 10km torps.  They absolutely wreck face as well.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

By a huge margin Mino; it has the potential health of several BBs, the 2nd highest DPS in the game. Wacky behaving AP that is the closest thing to true SAP that we have. Never overpens and no fires means the damage it does sticks better than any other ship. Trollish torps/the ability to stealth torps with a huge broadside (and dancy enough to quickly get both sets off rapidly). Stealthy as hell, able to get the drop on all other cruisers and non-stealth built Gunboat DD's. Smoke or radar, both with their devilish charms. Trolly armour that if you understand it, can make it the most tanky ship in the game. Sonar to keep pesky torps at bay. AA that renders CV's a 'who cares' without having to rely on DFAA. Accelerates on a dime to make long range sniping of it neigh impossible unless you have 0 situational awareness. And it's a Tier X, so tier doesn't matter. And as an added bonus, lacking HE frees up 7 Captain points that a CL normally is more or less required to take (IFHE and DE) leaving you FAR more flexibility in Captain skills.

If I had any 1 complaint, it's the transom, as it make over the shoulder fighting extremely difficult. Not impossible, but you have to be more careful with your angles than other traditional stern'd ships.

If you know how to make her shine there is basically no other Tree Ship in the game I'd rather be in. And the best part is, most people think it's weak/not worth caring about, so you often get ignored (as does your constant stream of fire).

Edited by _RC1138
  • Meh 1

[ALWC]
Members
1,188 posts
14,882 battles

Fiji especially top tier is strong. Z23 top tier was really strong. I would say Fletcher but I ground her out before the cv rework and USN light cruisers. She used to be a beast

[GGWP]
Members
7,088 posts
16,375 battles
25 minutes ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

I think you should get a larger fleet.

There are 250some ships in my port. All but 16 of them have win rates 50% or better. I stand by my comments. 

[BSL]
Members
1,231 posts
21,326 battles
42 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

By a huge margin Mino; it has the potential health of several BBs, the 2nd highest DPS in the game. Wacky behaving AP that is the closest thing to true SAP that we have. Never overpens and no fires means the damage it does sticks better than any other ship. Trollish torps/the ability to stealth torps with a huge broadside (and dancy enough to quickly get both sets off rapidly). Stealthy as hell, able to get the drop on all other cruisers and non-stealth built Gunboat DD's. Smoke or radar, both with their devilish charms. Trolly armour that if you understand it, can make it the most tanky ship in the game. Sonar to keep pesky torps at bay. AA that renders CV's a 'who cares' without having to rely on DFAA. Accelerates on a dime to make long range sniping of it neigh impossible unless you have 0 situational awareness. And it's a Tier X, so tier doesn't matter. And as an added bonus, lacking HE frees up 7 Captain points that a CL normally is more or less required to take (IFHE and DE) leaving you FAR more flexibility in Captain skills.

If I had any 1 complaint, it's the transom, as it make over the shoulder fighting extremely difficult. Not impossible, but you have to be more careful with your angles than other traditional stern'd ships.

If you know how to make her shine there is basically no other Tree Ship in the game I'd rather be in. And the best part is, most people think it's weak/not worth caring about, so you often get ignored (as does your constant stream of fire).

You had me believing until you got to the armor part...

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
5 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

You had me believing until you got to the armor part...

You have to understand the range/caliber combos of every gun shooting at you but you can tank an abnormally amount of damage in the Minotaur as it has paper thin, DD quality armour that will cause even some Cruiser shells to overpen at certain angles/distances. Really the only ships I fear in the Mino are USN and IJN BB's, as they have floaty enough shells that even at sub-8 km range, they can cit you easily from all angles (and the USN have massive damaging shells to make matters worse). A Missouri is basically the only ship that gives me pause in a Mino as he can both see me at will, and I cannot play around with angles to stop pens reliably. But say, a GK? Easy, especially up close, as those fast shells just plow through both sides doing overpen only damage in the process (which thanks to Mino's wacky heal, is truly meaningless).

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,774 battles

Podvoisky gets my vote. It comes in at 11th out of 13 T5 DDs in overall stats, but I'm convinced that's purely because few players take the time to figure it out. I started up the RU line after over 150 matches in Leningrad, at the time my best DD. Pod is just Leningrad two tiers lower.

Her speed and rudder shift make a difficult target for anyone. 

Five 130mm RU guns that rotate 360 degrees and have a near 13km range. She can hit hard and accurately anything in her range. The turret rotation makes her easy to use at all but knife fighting range. Most of her targets have garbage fire resistance and low point capts. It's not uncommon to set 4 fires on a BB with 3-4 salvos. The AP makes it possible to chunk any unwary cruiser for 10k+. Again, being T5, a lot of her opponents are inexperienced/stupid enough to give broadside at under 7 KM. 

Normally 4km torps wouldnt be a strength, they are for Pod. With the small maps she can often get within range and dev strike most of her opponents.

[ALWC]
Members
1,188 posts
14,882 battles
2 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

Podvoisky gets my vote. It comes in at 11th out of 13 T5 DDs in overall stats, but I'm convinced that's purely because few players take the time to figure it out. I started up the RU line after over 150 matches in Leningrad, at the time my best DD. Pod is just Leningrad two tiers lower.

Her speed and rudder shift make a difficult target for anyone. 

Five 130mm RU guns that rotate 360 degrees and have a near 13km range. She can hit hard and accurately anything in her range. The turret rotation makes her easy to use at all but knife fighting range. Most of her targets have garbage fire resistance and low point capts. It's not uncommon to set 4 fires on a BB with 3-4 salvos. The AP makes it possible to chunk any unwary cruiser for 10k+. Again, being T5, a lot of her opponents are inexperienced/stupid enough to give broadside at under 7 KM. 

Normally 4km torps wouldnt be a strength, they are for Pod. With the small maps she can often get within range and dev strike most of her opponents.

I’ll buy. I too played her after getting comfortable in the Leningrad. Great light cruiser at t5 plus with the super slow bb yolo charges become dev strikes that are fun and hilarious 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles

> Strongest tech tree ship in the game

Emerald, duh