You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kingsbishop_7

Rank Battle Issues – No One Wants to Talk About

40 comments in this topic

[115TH]
[115TH]
Members
73 posts
14,974 battles

Rank Battles is advertised as the Best Players and Best Boats battle it out to see who is “Top Dog”. Well Can anyone honestly say that's what is happening this season?

Lets review the issues and the facts.

Issues -

1 “Rental Ship”. Why its bad. In order to get a tier 10 Battleship, I had to grind my BB up to level 10. That means I know the strength and weakness of not only my but the other ships class/nationalities and their characteristics. Those that don't are a terrible disadvantage. It got so bad teams were regularly counting who had the most rentals, as it generally resulted in a loss.

2 Match Maker(MM) is out of control. I run a large fleet and have a variety of top tier ships and top tier commanders. In its zeal to make every game balanced even in ranked, it makes decision based on players ability(win percentages, total battles played, etc), ships ability(upgrades, consumables, and Commander skill points allocated). Thru the ability of rating each ship mathematically and the power of averaging, the MM Algorithm can theoretically balances the teams out. In Practical Use/Application not so much. Ranks is not Random Battles(where WoWs can place house Botz in here or there and get away with it).This can be proven by running a simple test of 10 matches. Run the same ship with a 10 pnt commander vs. a 19 pnt commander and notice the quality of team mates you are paired up with. You want to win don't run high level commander. MM will neutralize your advantages in the name of Fairness.

3 Game Balance. CVs are out of control. Since the Great CV Nerf of v8.x all in the name of FPS, the balance is off the scales. The primary reason the lack of Fleet Fighter Cap Role, which is a Design Error and a game flaw of Moronic Proportions. After all why do CVs carry fighters? For Rockets … LOL.

4 Game Balance . DDs When I read the Ships overview for DDs, it say one of there roles is to smoke the fleet. Why smoke has been Nerfed to the point where its virtually ineffective. No point in smoking the BBs and CAs for the most part are not much better.

5 Economics at Tier 10 in Ranks and Random are Broke. If you score 1,400 plus on a winning team how the hell do you loose 60k in credits in a ranked match.

I know what I am seeing as I have 2.3k Ranked Battles and over 13k Random Battles under my belt. BTW the patch I wear indicates that I have been around since the Beta version of World of Warships. In short I know what I am seeing.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 4

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts
13 minutes ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

1 “Rental Ship”. Why its bad. In order to get a tier 10 Battleship, I had to grind my BB up to level 10. That means I know the strength and weakness of not only my but the other ships class/nationalities and their characteristics. Those that don't are a terrible disadvantage. It got so bad teams were regularly counting who had the most rentals, as it generally resulted in a loss.

Rental ships are a strange concept. The fact that someone is renting it means they do not have experience in that ship. The only way they can get experience in the rental ship is if they participate in Rank battles. WG goes out of their way to highlight who is renting and who is not by their names/ship (I forgot which) in brackets [name]. If you don't pay attention to that, it is safe to say that a nude ship without flags is a rental. MM does not differentiate between a T10 rental and a T10 player owned ship, so it is possible to have the majority of Rentals on one team over the other. Like you said, the team with the most rental loses.

[YIKES]
Members
1,733 posts
13,710 battles
19 minutes ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

Rank Battles is advertised as the Best Players and Best Boats battle it out to see who is “Top Dog”. Well Can anyone honestly say that's what is happening this season?

Issues -

2 Match Maker(MM) is out of control. I run a large fleet and have a variety of top tier ships and top tier commanders. In its zeal to make every game balanced even in ranked, it makes decision based on players ability(win percentages, total battles played, etc), ships ability(upgrades, consumables, and Commander skill points allocated). Thru the ability of rating each ship mathematically and the power of averaging, the MM Algorithm can theoretically balances the teams out. In Practical Use/Application not so much. Ranks is not Random Battles(where WoWs can place house Botz in here or there and get away with it).This can be proven by running a simple test of 10 matches. Run the same ship with a 10 pnt commander vs. a 19 pnt commander and notice the quality of team mates you are paired up with. You want to win don't run high level commander. MM will neutralize your advantages in the name of Fairness.

3 Game Balance. CVs are out of control. Since the Great CV Nerf of v8.x all in the name of FPS, the balance is off the scales. The primary reason the lack of Fleet Fighter Cap Role, which is a Design Error and a game flaw of Moronic Proportions. After all why do CVs carry fighters? For Rockets … LOL.

4 Game Balance . DDs When I read the Ships overview for DDs, it say one of there roles is to smoke the fleet. Why smoke has been Nerfed to the point where its virtually ineffective. No point in smoking the BBs and CAs for the most part are not much better.

5 Economics at Tier 10 in Ranks and Random are Broke. If you score 1,400 plus on a winning team how the hell do you loose 60k in credits in a ranked match.

I know what I am seeing as I have 2.3k Ranked Battles and over 13k Random Battles under my belt. BTW the patch I wear indicates that I have been around since the Beta version of World of Warships. In short I know what I am seeing.

I disagree with everything you mentioned with the exception of rentals. Everything else you wrote is incorrect and likely due to a lack of game understanding...

• Cool 7

[WOLFG]
Members
10,668 posts
9,886 battles
13 minutes ago, Nagato_Kai__Ni said:

Can you add some of that salt to my popcorn? :Smile_popcorn:

You didn't get enough from all the other threads these issues were talked about?

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
8,550 battles
48 minutes ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

This can be proven by running a simple test of 10 matches. Run the same ship with a 10 pnt commander vs. a 19 pnt commander and notice the quality of team mates you are paired up with

I would be interested in seeing the data behind this test.

I am saving all my Battle Results from Ranked and when I have a chance I intend to put it all into a spreadsheet to see what I can see.

I'd like to see the data from your 10 matches and the math you did to show how the difference in quality correlates to the different commanders. I'm not a trained mathematician or statistics person so I'm still learning this myself.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles

But if no one wanted to talk about these things, then why are there a million active threads on them?

:cap_yes:

Besides the captain skills thing, which is just nuts. 

• Cool 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,139 posts
16,402 battles

Rentals aren't an issue at the ranks where the "best" players are playing. If a player is having trouble with the rentals, then they likely weren't going to get to those ranks anyways. 

• Cool 2

[BONKS]
Members
1,017 posts
8,737 battles
56 minutes ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

Issues -

holeeeeeee crap.... youre around since Beta? have 13000+ battles under your belt and still a bad player? never reached rank 1 after 2k+ ranked battles? seriously?

and youre gonna complain about MM or ships? like seriously?

if you knew what you were looking at it woouldnt have come to this point tbh  lmaoooo

• Funny 2

[VFW]
Members
1,458 posts
30,342 battles
3 minutes ago, GuessIllJustDie said:

holeeeeeee crap.... youre around since Beta? have 13000+ battles under your belt and still a bad player? never reached rank 1 after 2k+ ranked battles? seriously?

and youre gonna complain about MM or ships? like seriously?

if you knew what you were looking at it woouldnt have come to this point tbh  lmaoooo

What he said...LOL.

vr, 

[PIRAT]
Beta Testers
288 posts
5,340 battles

The rentals was a stupid idea!  WG and contributes needs stop making excuses about why and how it's supposed to have been good for everyone. 

It's not good for everyone! It sucks! Please don't do it again!

1 more reason I refuse to spend anymore money on this game. As much as I would love to buy the Lenin. I can't bring my self too do it.

[WORX]
Members
11,445 posts
19,196 battles

Again the OP makes the same mistake as everyone else,

MM IS NOT SORTING, MM is that MM.

All other game "game balance" Issue the OP expresses look more like bias towered BBs. EVERY ship class a tier 10 has game balance issues, no one is immune of WG neglect in balancing out ships.

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles

There are loads of people talking about these things.  They are not issues...for better or worse they are working exactly as intended by WG

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[A-I-M]
Members
3,445 posts
14,128 battles
2 hours ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

[Loosely translated as"blahblahblah"]

As in "really, everybody is talking about this. Get in line."

2 hours ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

I know what I am seeing as I have 2.3k Ranked Battles and over 13k Random Battles under my belt. BTW the patch I wear indicates that I have been around since the Beta version of World of Warships. In short I know what I am seeing

In the context of the rest of your post, this is BFD material.

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,979 battles
1 minute ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

like I said:

"We are tired of talking about"

them.

fixed it for you

[KIA-C]
Members
241 posts
12,607 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Rentals aren't an issue at the ranks where the "best" players are playing. If a player is having trouble with the rentals, then they likely weren't going to get to those ranks anyways. 

To play devil's advocate, though, the morons infiltrated 5+ at record speed this season.  I watched the same guy die first 5 games in a row last night.  Unfortunately he was on my team every game.  How he's still at rank 5+ is a testament to carrying of the potato.

[-RNG-]
Members
557 posts
14,167 battles

I disagree with everything except the rental part. Rentals do NOT belong in Ranked.  In CW, fine, because your TEAM endorses or agrees with you running a rental and accept that. In Ranked your team has no say in the matter.

what people whining about Ranked in general seem to never figure out is that it is DESIGNED for you to not rank out if you are not good enough.  You will get to the rank of your skill and, generally, no further.  The system doesn’t owe you additional rankings. You have to earn them.

Comp. #WV44

• Cool 2

[-TKS-]
Members
836 posts
15,424 battles
3 hours ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

Where do you see this ? always heard this and i assumed it when i first played wows but never seen it

we know rentals suck but there are more often trash players with T10's than there are rentals in league 2 at least. 

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
21 minutes ago, PrivateJoker13 said:

To play devil's advocate, though, the morons infiltrated 5+ at record speed this season.  I watched the same guy die first 5 games in a row last night.  Unfortunately he was on my team every game.  How he's still at rank 5+ is a testament to carrying of the potato.

He’s probably just having a bad day. The VAST VAST majority of bad players don’t get up to rank 5. Rank 10 sure, but not that final league.

Mediocre players yes. You will see a decent amount of them. The issue is that rank 5ish is a MM scenario where 52% is the new 46%. Less room for errors. More likely for games to snowball from them.

Either that or they gave up on trying. Wouldn’t surprise me if you see a good portion of rental players at 4-5 because they got where they wanted to and now decided they want to try new things. Hypothetically this is one of the best environments for testing new strategies. Better, quicker feedback. Unfortunately it has the side effect of rolling the dice for the other 6 members on your team.

Edited by Sou1forge

[BLEP]
Members
558 posts
12,448 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Not true. Had a person last game playing the rental Conq was at rank 8 and sure looked like he had been carried there. Had a bunch of games played in it and only had an average damage of 17k in it. That person has no tier 10s or even 9s for that matter. 

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,858 battles
3 hours ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

This is a hilarious conspiracy theory and to back it up you'd need a hell of a lot more than a 10 game data set.

Funny, I'm doing much better in my Daring once I dumped a lot of FXP into it and got my commander from 12 to 18 points.  

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,259 posts
12,358 battles
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

The rentals are a problem

5 hours ago, kingsbishop_7 said:

“Rental Ship”

3 hours ago, worldeaters said:

The rentals was a stupid idea!

4 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

truth.