Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ruar

Would new consumable- fighter screen- help?

5 comments in this topic

Members
1,123 posts
2,212 battles

Thinking about the issues with taking initiative away from planes I was wondering if there were ways to let ships do something to force planes to react instead of the other way around. 

One idea is to have a fighter screen consumable.  This wouldn't take the place of the current fighter consumable because having a screen like I'm thinking wouldn't make sense to be launched from a ship.  I assume WG wants to keep the catapults and fighter launch animations so they will still want to have something for capable ships to launch.  Instead of figuring out a way to alter the ship fighter I was thinking of something else.

The idea is you call in an off map squadron of fighters that orbit an area set by the player on the map.  If doing that is too difficult to code then maybe have the screen launch straight out from the direction the player is aiming.  The squadron of fighters would then do an elongated orbit with the planes spread out over the entire distance instead of being lumped together.  The fighters would be fast enough to intercept player squadrons and strong enough to make players want to avoid the area.  The screen size would need to scale with the tiers to reflect differences in plane speed.  The faster planes go the longer the screen would need to both be on the map as well as last in duration.

The reason for a screen, instead of a small area like we currently see, is so ships can setup a no-fly zone for a period of time.  I don't know how long would be best but I'm thinking something like two to three minutes makes sense.  This gives ships the ability to section off a part of the map and force carrier pilots to attack from a different direction or attack a different area of the map.

This consumable should only have one or two charges and perhaps occupy the same slot as DFAA.  

Would something like this be enough to give ships the ability to take initiative back from planes for a period of time?  Is it reasonable to think that planes should have some kind of terrain they have to avoid, even if that terrain is a fighter screen?  Is there a better way to implement ways to provide ships the ability to dictate the fight to planes?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,444 posts

Some ships already have a fighter consumable, like most of the new RU BBs.  Some ships are even lucky enough to have a spotter or a fighter as an option.  So jealous when in my RU BB.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,111 posts

Have you any idea how OP current surface ship-launched fighters are? Any? And now you want more? Sure, sure... as long as I can deploy submarines to defend my carrier. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,123 posts
2,212 battles
41 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Have you any idea how OP current surface ship-launched fighters are? Any? And now you want more? Sure, sure... as long as I can deploy submarines to defend my carrier. 

This isn't about protecting a ship but shaping the fight.  CVs have almost all of the initiative in a battle and ships need a way to gain that back.

• Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,111 posts
6 hours ago, ruar said:

This isn't about protecting a ship but shaping the fight.  CVs have almost all of the initiative in a battle and ships need a way to gain that back.

Well consider not just your ship but most ships around you would offer up the same "support consumable" then pretend you're a carrier, flying those annoying planes and trying to attack something, anything. 

Gee... it's all a no-go area... 

Sign in to follow this