You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

Lag spikes on NA?

26 comments in this topic

Members
595 posts
6,455 battles

Anyone else getting bad lag spikes tonight?  I did all of the normal checks and everything is fine on my end.

I can't play ranked like this.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,428 posts
4,198 battles

Nope, no issues for me, and there are storms in my area.

• Funny 1

Members
595 posts
6,455 battles

I just checked downdetector.  My area...D/FW...is red for ATT.  Looks like someone screwed up the Richardson switching station again.

Not WG's fault.

[EQRN]
Members
2,130 posts
18,633 battles

I had it bad, too.  My typical ping is 30s, I was regularly bouncing between 30s and 50s, with surges to 100 to 200ms.  On the West Coast, fwiw.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,444 posts
20,637 battles

Several people complained about it in one of my Ranked matches. So maybe it's also affecting one of the WG data centers.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,820 posts
7,025 battles

Over the past 2 days or so i've been getting random lag -- something is up.  Usually solidly in the low 30s

[TDRB]
Members
5,153 posts
13,741 battles

I've been getting random lag spikes and tonight it does seem worse. It is not as bad as it was a few weeks ago.

[SYN]
Members
15,875 posts
12,803 battles

It seems like the servers are pooping themselves every now and then.

I see a few AFK people, but I'm almost certain it was server side.

[DRAH]
Members
386 posts
9,721 battles

I was getting lag fluctuations from 100 (normal) up to several hundred

[AN2AC]
Members
58 posts
4,406 battles

Hi Captains, while on this topic I have a question for the technically minded Captains. 

I play from Australia and have a consistent 160 ms connection while playing. I notice in some of the commentary above,  players have stated they usually have ~30ms consistently. 

What impact does the 130 (ish) ms difference have on my game play? Would it be negligible?

[UEFN]
Members
1,347 posts
23,738 battles

in the last few days after a few match my ping would go up to 1800~2000ms, yes that's in thousands as if i was watching picture slide show with freeze frame for a very long time, restart the game usually fixed it temporary then the high ping time would come back again.  I have verizon 1Gig FIOS and no other latency or line quality issues with any other services.  Only happened since the latest patch 8.4....it was fine before.

[TXAGS]
Members
12 posts
9,531 battles

Yo I just was in a game that had a massive spike in the middle.  Froze me out right before a salvo.  Been having client crash issues all week.  Something is definitely up.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,222 posts
24,618 battles

The US doesn't give a f--k about it's network.

I have a friend playing from Kentucky that always loads late, frequently disconnects, etc, and we got a division buddy playing from VIETNAM who has a rock solid connection.  Never drops, loads on time, etc.

The only thing US ISPs are good at are milking customers while providing as little in return.

So forgive me when I laugh that a guy playing from Communist Vietnam has better internet access, service than people I know here in Capitalist United States.  He can connect to playing the WoWS NA server (instead of Asia) from Vietnam and has a better service than many American players.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FTH]
Members
1,016 posts
15,947 battles

It's been bad today...normally hover around 70-110-120 depending on the connections mood, but today I've had it darn near stall out at 1000.

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
320 posts
6,229 battles
11 minutes ago, Xcalib3r said:

in the last few days after a few match my ping would go up to 1800~2000ms, yes that's in thousands as if i was watching picture slide show with freeze frame for a very long time, restart the game usually fixed it temporary then the high ping time would come back again.  I have verizon 1Gig FIOS and no other latency or line quality issues with any other services.  Only happened since the latest patch 8.4....it was fine before.

I've been having the same issue. 1Gig FIOS and it's a slideshow with 1800-2000ms spikes that last for around 2 minutes.

Members
47 posts
3,047 battles

I have been lagging pretty badly since the update.. I usually get a pretty stable low ping. If i use a tunneling service its fine (when i can get in the game), but if not I'm getting over 1000ms. seems to be bad only some time during the day and the other half its fine. but yeah its unplayable for me right now

[UEFN]
Members
1,347 posts
23,738 battles

The ping time is continue to be horrendous up to 2000ms, i can't believe WG is messing this up so bad, it's downright unplayable when it spike especially in the middle of Ranked!!  This is unacceptable

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
On 6/5/2019 at 10:30 AM, Uber_Ghost said:

Anyone else getting bad lag spikes tonight?  I did all of the normal checks and everything is fine on my end.

I can't play ranked like this.

Do you spike when 'action' is happening?

For example visual/sound effects, ships/planes appearing in view, etc?

[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
320 posts
6,229 battles

After 8.4 i get moments of insane lag. 4000ms bad. It last for around 5-6 minutes then goes away. Never had this issue before.

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
On 6/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, HMAS_Valhalla said:

Hi Captains, while on this topic I have a question for the technically minded Captains. 

I play from Australia and have a consistent 160 ms connection while playing. I notice in some of the commentary above,  players have stated they usually have ~30ms consistently. 

What impact does the 130 (ish) ms difference have on my game play? Would it be negligible?

I'll have you know that I'm in Bangkok at the moment on 200 gigabit fibre and the ping is only slightly better than in Melbourne.

You can get 2000 gigabit here. NBN is a POS.

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles
20 minutes ago, TheSpring said:

Im allso got random lag spikes 

34 minutes ago, EasternSun said:

After 8.4 i get moments of insane lag. 4000ms bad. It last for around 5-6 minutes then goes away. Never had this issue before.

1 hour ago, Xcalib3r said:

The ping time is continue to be horrendous up to 2000ms, i can't believe WG is messing this up so bad, it's downright unplayable when it spike especially in the middle of Ranked!!  This is unacceptable

Try the thing in my signature. Let me know if it helps. Quit wows before you use it.

[SYN]
Members
15,875 posts
12,803 battles

The servers had another lag spike yesterday.

Members
5,424 posts
10,483 battles

The OP did not check everything and found the issue was with the ISP.  With lots of severe weather who also checked a trace with Ping Plotter over a half hour to an hour to see if the issue was with the routing?  The times I have played ranked this week in the evening  - not one player complained of any lag.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

I had some lag issues last night, I assumed it was on my side or the ISP side.