Kelorn

Episode 133: Do Carriers Belong in Ranked?

10 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
317 posts
6,655 battles

Episode 133: Do Carriers Belong in Ranked?

EPISODE SUMMARY

This week Kelorn and Aerroon talk about Patch 0.8.4, and if the changes to carriers are enough. After that, we discuss the impact of Carriers in Ranked Battles, updated maps, new ships, and round out with some amazing Listener Questions of the Week!

EPISODE NOTES

Note: Timestamp links SHOULD now work in all (most?) browsers.

02:39 Player Gathering in Austin with SubOctavian
04:27 Patch 0.8.4
11:16 Ranked Battles
29:31 New Map: Greece
34:00 Reworked Map: Trap
37:22 New Test Ship impresssions next week
46:24 Questions of the Week

Player gather this weekend in Austin: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/191876-austin-upcoming-community-events-with-sub_octavian/

New Forum for the Podcast: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/307-the-warships-podcast/

Podcast Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs8t5v-yXYl9utoiJyPHkQ

Plowshares into Swords: The Reactivation of the Iowa Class Battleships in the 1980s a Thesis by listener Michael Dennis:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kxfuww3opisrdm/Dennis_Michael_Thesis.pdf?dl=0 REPLACE THE 3 IN THE HYPER LINK WITH A 4 TO THWART WEBCRAWLERS

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,553 posts
11,092 battles

Answer is no!  CVs should be deleted from the game, a simple and elegant solution.  Oh BTW rentals in ranked is even more horrid...yeah if it was T6 ranked..sure...but T10?

[CVA16]
Members
3,542 posts
11,691 battles
29 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Oh BTW rentals in ranked is even more horrid

Bad Idea from the start. At the very least, MM should strive to balance rentals on each team.

Interesting where even the WG commentators admit this season will be less fun, largely due to CVs and the only way there will be battles without them will be if the queue times for them are ridiculous as everyone wants to play them (almost guaranteed save a star on  a loss) so maybe they will pick other ships. That of course would go in cycles. Every one jumps back in a CV as soon as they get in a game without one.

They also underestimate how good the Kreml would be in an environment where nobody dares try to get in a flanking position (i.e. become THE CV target).

Edited by Sabot_100

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,624 posts
15,105 battles
29 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Interesting where even the WG commentators admit this season will be less fun

Haven't watched the episode yet, but were there WG guests on the stream? Kelorn and Aerroon aren't WG staff as far as I know, and CCs are free to give whatever opinions they want (as long as they phrase it constructively).

[OKM]
Members
406 posts
3,010 battles
35 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Bad Idea from the start. At the very least, MM should strive to balance rentals on each team.

Interesting where even the WG commentators admit this season will be less fun, largely due to CVs and the only way there will be battles without them will be if the queue times for them are ridiculous as everyone wants to play them (almost guaranteed save a star on  a loss) so maybe they will pick other ships. That of course would go in cycles. Every one jumps back in a CV as soon as they get in a game without one.

They also underestimate how good the Kreml would be in an environment where nobody dares try to get in a flanking position (i.e. become THE CV target).

Well, If each game is a mix bag of Minotaur, Worcester and Des Moines, the CV players will kinda find it also quite hard to have fun and stack damage.

[CVA16]
Members
3,542 posts
11,691 battles
14 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Well, If each game is a mix bag of Minotaur, Worcester and Des Moines, the CV players will kinda find it also quite hard to have fun and stack damage.

Which is a large part of the problem. The mere existence of one ship largely determines the ships you can bring and the tactics you can employ. To venture outside this narrow band means you lose.

[CVA16]
Members
3,542 posts
11,691 battles
35 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Haven't watched the episode yet, but were there WG guests on the stream? Kelorn and Aerroon aren't WG staff as far as I know, and CCs are free to give whatever opinions they want (as long as they phrase it constructively).

Didn't start listening from the start (clicked to the part I was interested in) and thought the speaker with the accent was Suboctavian.

Of course now we have a day or so of actual data  (haven't played any ranked myself) so should have an idea on how things are actually working. What ships work (NOT the rentals!) and which don't. What ships are common. What ships are rarely seen. How long is the queue wait for CV drivers vs the other classes.

[FF]
Members
264 posts
8,748 battles

should've tweaked the rts which everyone, albeit begrudingly,  accepted. the rework gave Cv haters an opportunity to campaign for it's abolition and it pissed off the rts CV players who honed their skills on rts .

Edited by zippychippy

[-K-]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
317 posts
6,655 battles
16 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Didn't start listening from the start (clicked to the part I was interested in) and thought the speaker with the accent was Suboctavian.

Of course now we have a day or so of actual data  (haven't played any ranked myself) so should have an idea on how things are actually working. What ships work (NOT the rentals!) and which don't. What ships are common. What ships are rarely seen. How long is the queue wait for CV drivers vs the other classes.

The gentleman with the accent is aerroon  :)

[CVA16]
Members
3,542 posts
11,691 battles
2 hours ago, Kelorn said:

The gentleman with the accent is aerroon  :)

In my defense, Sub_Octavian's name was up there in the headers too:Smile_trollface:. Not sure why I would assume he would be the only person associated with the game with a Russian accent.

• Cool 1