You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SgtFuzzynuts

Texas moving to greener pastures

16 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,957 battles

Ok, but ... where is it going?

[LOU1]
Members
4,158 posts
12,052 battles

"The aging Battleship Texas will have a new caretaker and be temporarily moved to Alabama for much-needed repairs under a bill that could be headed to Gov. Greg Abbott’s desk.

But the bill doesn’t address a crucial question: After repairs are completed, will the battleship be returned to the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site near La Porte, its home for more than 70 years?

The way state Rep. John Cyrier see it, a yet-to-be determined site at Galveston would draw more tourists to the battleship..."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Battleship-Texas-could-be-relocated-to-Galveston-13898926.php

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

[JNGLS]
Members
29 posts
3,229 battles

Galveston would be a much better choice, they already have Seawolf park with the USS Cavalla and the USS Stewart.  Anchor it just off the channel across from the ferry.

[GWG]
Members
6,950 posts
13,490 battles

To make it last longer, it needs to come out of the tidal salt water, and up river to a fresh water spot.

For example, the New Jersey and Olympia are above the salt line on the Delaware River.  They are in fresh water - away from the storm surges and corrosive salt air.

[GWG]
Members
6,950 posts
13,490 battles

Lock width on the Red River channel is 82 Feet.   USS Texas is 95 feet wide as is.

Depth of the channel is guaranteed to be 9'.  Texas draft is 28 1/2 feet..

They'd have to dismantle the turrets and remove all the side armor.  They'd ship them by rail/barge.  Basically, strip it down and move it in pieces up the Red River to Texarkana.

It really...  really stinks down there on the Bayou.  And it's not just the dead fish rotting away as they float by. 

That area is simply becoming quite intolerable to live - even though they've cleaned it up a bit.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,958 battles

I live in Houston and have the benefit of working a job that has me seeing the Texas on a very frequent basis; sometimes, almost every day, depending on if I'm working the Houston harbor or not. It's been a landmark for commercial traffic operating in the Houston ship channel for decades and mariners refer to it frequently when putting out their own position. Unfortunately the location it is in is rather bad for several reasons, and not just because of the salt water corrosion. It's an out of the way spot far from most other local attractions and landmarks, in a not-very-nice part of town. Galveston or Corpus Christi would be a better place for the Texas, assuming they permanently dry-berth her for the purpose of preservation. Her current berth can then be restored as part of the San Jacinto battleground, which is important for entirely different reasons.

The ship is 107 years old and has been sitting basically in the same spot (less one previous move for restoration) since the end of World War II, aside from one drydock period in the late 80s, which is the last time she got any major restoration work. She deserves better than her current state.

--Helms

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I doubt shes moving by the end of the year because while the volunteers have worked hard on reinforcing her structure, they only have done from the aft end to the engine room. Her boilers are still at risk of falling through her bottom not to mention sections of her hull are so thin they workers had to be careful not drop anything as it could go right through. The Coast Guard won't let her move because if she sinks in the channel it will block tons of shipping and I can tell you now the big businesses that rely on that channel for cargo will push for the fastest clean up which it mean her getting scrapped

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

I vote for Corpus. Tie her up next to the Lexington: much of the shore establishment is already there to keep her going, the channel is already dredged, and it makes for a great 1-2 punch as far as value and logistics. A fresh water location or dry berth would be ideal, but geography and finances make either of those highly unlikely.

Matt

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles
On 5/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, SgtFuzzynuts said:

Galveston would be a much better choice, they already have Seawolf park with the USS Cavalla and the USS Stewart.  Anchor it just off the channel across from the ferry.

Seawolf park is so bad though...so bad. 

I have spent many hours roaming the decks of the Texas, Lexington, Cavalla and Stewart. IMHO, the owner's of Seawolf park do not take pride in their park, or the ships that they are trusted to protect. I may be totally wrong, but every time I go the ships are in even worse shape, and the park itself is unkempt .Perhaps this could be due to a lack of funds, but the Texas is in the exact if not worse shape funding wise. The Texas is suffering mightily due to hull issues that can only be repaired in dry dock, which costs a lot of $$$. I am glad that the state passed the bill to pay for it's repair. I can only imagine the political fallout of they let it founder. 

I do worry that she is not going to be able to make the journey to Alabama. When it was moved last in the Houston ship channel, it took on a lot of water and nearly beached itself on a sandbar. Exposing her to the conditions of the Gulf if very worrying, especially since if something does go wrong, she will be in deep water. Hopefully the ongoing engineering surveys will give us a better idea of what is possible, and safe to do. 

Edited by Rgtx1121

Members
33 posts
4,957 battles

It's sad to see it moved, but if the traffic doesn't support the upkeep then it's a must.  I wish it could come back reasonably close to the Houston area in a dry dock, but I'm guessing that's not likely to happen.  Houston didn't used to be like this.  It seems like the only thing people care about now is sports/merchandise.  I'm still going to send in a donation, regardless.

[THREE]
Members
2,396 posts
13,171 battles

Hey

Kind of a shame to see the condition Texas is in considering it's historical significance, and proud Texas traditions for much of the State.  It's condition as a museum is more of neglect, lack of maintenance than anything else.  I realize they are expensive to maintain year after year but should we really let them rust away into a mess that one day won't be worth saving that history?

Pete

[KREW]
Members
590 posts
13,598 battles

Ahoy mates,

I hate to say this, but I have this horrible fear that if they move the Texas to Alabama for repairs it will never return. I'm very afraid that it's going to sink and be lost to us forever if they do this. Call it a premonition, if you will, but I have a really bad, bad feeling about this move. I have ever since they announced it. I didn't feel this way when they moved it before, to do the other repairs, but this time I do.

I hope I'm wrong, because it will be a devastating blow to all of us who love the ship and to the world in general, to lose the only surviving WWI era dreadnaught. Some of my earliest memories that I can recall are of my parents taking my older bother and me to visit it when I was 4-5 years old (about 1968-69). Some of the oldest photos (B&W) that we have are of us there, posing in the AA gun seats and standing by the main batteries. I've visited it a dozen or more times in my life, even though I grew up a couple hundred miles from it. It was the very first premium that I bought when I started playing. I sure hope it will be ok... but I'm really afraid we're going to lose it.    :Smile_sad:

Fair Seas

Edited by BattleBard149
spelling errors and grammer

Members
201 posts
7,284 battles

Maybe next time a politician says they support the military, bring up ships like the USS Texas. These ships should be preserved. All that cash that gets wasted on stupid projects. Or giving rich people and coporations tax breaks. 

A few billion dollars to help preserve old ships, as a part of the US Navy's long and proud history would be educational. And preserving the hard work of shipbuilders, and sailors that sacrificed so much to defend America.