Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jrchappe

Fire prevention or no fire prevention... that is the question

17 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
64 posts
13,557 battles

Hi everyone, just started working the tier6 Izmail (which I think is quite good) and am considering which captain skills to train.  Mind you, I'm taking this captain up to 19 for eventual use in the Kreml or Pobeda/Slava so I won't be keeping this ship.

My question is whether or not to use 4 captain points on Fire Prevention.  If not, i'm going to focus those points on the other survivability skills like High Alert, Jack of All Trades, and Adrenaline Rush.  Wanted to see what other peoples' experience was.

[TBW]
Members
7,699 posts
14,084 battles

The ships further up the line don't have wooden decks so probably less fires, plan ahead.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
64 posts
13,557 battles
20 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The ships further up the line don't have wooden decks so probably less fires, plan ahead.

good to know, thank you

[HINON]
Members
10,929 posts
39 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Fire % is based on tier not the type of deck.

OP I think it's worth it to use it and other survivability skills to bolster some of the ships strengths and live longer in matches.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
7,699 posts
14,084 battles
1 minute ago, RipNuN2 said:

Fire % is based on tier not the type of deck.

always seemed to me that wooden deck ships light up more than the steel decked ships. It could be that they are just the lower tier ones is why I thought that. Ya learn something new every day.

[SALVO]
Members
20,922 posts
21,019 battles

To have (fire prevention) or not to have, that is the question.

Is it nobler in the mind to suffer the anguish of endless flames and outrageous RNG?

Or to take up arms against a sea full of HE spamming cruisers, and by opposing, end them?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,521 posts
4,250 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

always seemed to me that wooden deck ships light up more than the steel decked ships. It could be that they are just the lower tier ones is why I thought that. Ya learn something new every day.

yeah, the percentage of fire chance is scaled by tier, and the higher you go the lower the baked-in fire chance is. Then you mesh that with the fire chance of an incoming HE shell...It's a battle of dice rolls. 

Anywho, Fire prevention is a good skill to have, with your limited DCP charges its nice to reduce the chances of catching fire at all and decreasing the number of fires overall. It's probably not wirth it until you hit tier 7 and up, but something to keep in mind.

[SIDE]
Members
64 posts
13,557 battles
15 minutes ago, Sledgehammer427 said:

yeah, the percentage of fire chance is scaled by tier, and the higher you go the lower the baked-in fire chance is. Then you mesh that with the fire chance of an incoming HE shell...It's a battle of dice rolls. 

Anywho, Fire prevention is a good skill to have, with your limited DCP charges its nice to reduce the chances of catching fire at all and decreasing the number of fires overall. It's probably not wirth it until you hit tier 7 and up, but something to keep in mind.

great info, thank you

[WOLFC]
Members
448 posts
4,564 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

As others have stated, fire resistance is dependent on tier, stock vs upgraded hull, skills, flags, and upgrades. Except for CVs, which have a separate, identical fire resistance coefficient across all tiers.

However, I myself have felt at times that certain ships seem to burn more frequently (my KM BBs for instance). I think it has more to do with how often ships get focused with HE by knowledgeable players. For example, KM BBs have strong decks that resist HE penetrations, but they also have very large, easy to hit superstructures. Good players know they can farm a lot of HE damage on these areas if they have decent aim, so they get focused and more shells = more fires.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF3]
Members
20,267 posts
18,582 battles
6 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Fire resistance reference, just so you know.  Even stock and upgraded hulls make a difference.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire#Fire_Resistance

• Cool 1

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
824 posts
25,665 battles
On 5/26/2019 at 11:58 AM, Crucis said:

To have (fire prevention) or not to have, that is the question.

Is it nobler in the mind to suffer the anguish of endless flames and outrageous RNG?

Or to take up arms against a sea full of HE spamming cruisers, and by opposing, end them?

Thank you Sir, to hear echoes of the Bard in the wit of your post.

Beta Testers
1,011 posts
4,377 battles
On 5/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, jrchappe said:

Hi everyone, just started working the tier6 Izmail (which I think is quite good) and am considering which captain skills to train.  Mind you, I'm taking this captain up to 19 for eventual use in the Kreml or Pobeda/Slava so I won't be keeping this ship.

My question is whether or not to use 4 captain points on Fire Prevention.  If not, i'm going to focus those points on the other survivability skills like High Alert, Jack of All Trades, and Adrenaline Rush.  Wanted to see what other peoples' experience was.

the answer is a resounding YES. High Alert and Jack of ALL Trades are potential candidates for last pick ups, while Fire Prevention should be your second 4 point skill.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
824 posts
25,665 battles

I have a very recent 100 games or so in Russian BB's, T8 and up. I am a 1 fire guy, by which I mean I let 1 fire burn and almost always put the 2nd one out, depending on the tactical situation. I have MAYBE once come back to port with 0 Damage Control charges left. I'm just not using the 5 I'm given as a general rule. So as a math exercise, is the 4 points spent on Fire Prevention worth the 10% damage reduction in fires starting to begin with. It's also possible that using Damage Control less in the heat of battle allows me to save it for more efficient use with the inevitable torp hits and flooding the ship takes. Just a thought, but I'm not sure burning 4 points on Fire Prevention is better than Concealment, Manual AA, etc etc.

Members
78 posts
12,542 battles

I don't find Fire Prevent as valuable past T8 for Russian BBs. The reason is that deck armor gets super thick, so HE spam isn't as effective. 

The bigger issue I find in randoms and ranked is planes... so more AA dakka dakka is handy in my eyes.

You could go concealment though since your guns at T9 seem to hone in around 8km (so getting close undetected can really benefit you here) and 12km at T10 (again, benefit to you).

Alternatively to AA, i'd sink those 4 points into Basics of Survivability, or Vigilance since mitigating burn/flood time really helps,  and dodging torps always helps. 

However if those skills don't tickle your pickle, stick with FP. 

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

[HUNGS]
Members
1,672 posts
3,603 battles

I never found FP very useful honestly, maybe because I played for so long before it was in the skill tree that I made do without it. The only times I've found myself on fire in 3 or 4 places is because I screwed up and usually once I'm in that spot it isn't the fire thats going to kill me but just speeding up my downfall.

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
389 posts
On 5/31/2019 at 8:03 PM, Roadrider7021 said:

Thank you Sir, to hear echoes of the Bard in the wit of your post.

do they even teach Shakespeare in school nowdays???????????

Sign in to follow this