You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

Art of War Ships. part 1? We;ll see.

6 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,986 posts
17,594 battles

So if you've never read Sun Tzu's Art of War, do your self a favor and go do so.. it's all over the net and free to learn from.  And it has much to teach.

One of the single most quoted saying from Sun Tzu is "all war is based upon deception" and here in world of warships it's just as true as it is in the real world.

An acceptable minimum in this game is achieving mastery of driving your ship, shooting and hitting targets, using terrain to avoid damage.  But this is just a bare minimum.    To put the above quote to practical use how ever requires a bit more.   I'll give some examples from a DD drivers point of view.

I see capital ships approaching a cap.  the opposing DD that was contesting the cap has been removed but the radar ships are ready and they mean to take the cap.  How do you divert their effort?.   Their eyes tell them my team is weak here, so I must create an impression of strength if I'm going to slow them down much less stop them.  So one way to do this is the clever use of smoke screen s and torpedo spreads..  I'll pick a likely spot where a cruiser of BB will go and put a spread of torps in that path... then I'll pick a different spot and put a spread down that track... while I wait for my torps to reload I will move toward the opposing force but knowing radar ranges not allow myself to get any closer then 8k.  Then turning away I will hit my engine boost and activate smoke... the object here is to keep laying a line of smoke.. a long line of smoke that could be hiding many things.... whats in the smoke?  Whats beyond the smoke? Possibly nothing but me in my lone DD, but they don't know that.   Someone will pop radar.. If my timing is good I'm  at the edge of radar range.  Ideally right at the edge.. I want to be seen for just a moment... Now my torps from earlier should be arriving and being seen.. moments later the second spread is spotted...  the opposing team now has seen  4 things.. 2 spreads of torps fired at different targets... a wall of smoke, and just for a moment ...me.  Is it just a single DD or is it an ambush?   Were those my torps?  They don't know.  What was my smoke there to hide? They don't know..  And where am I going?  They don't know.  Yhey can assume but assumption in this game has a nasty habit of getting you sunk.  What is the most likely reaction of the OPFOR?    It depends but say one of the cruiser players knows me due to me bushwacking him in the pas. That player will tend to want to act more cautiously and may back it off.  Once one players will to advance breaks,  the rest will tend to follow.. and almost inevitably one player wont get the memo and keep coming into range unsupported of my shortly to be reloaded torpedo's.

I'll tell you now most player play it safe and back off.  Even if no torps hit, and I was unable to take the cap.. they aren't taking the cap either.   And I just chewed up 3 to 5 minutes minimum of match time against usually anywhere from 2 to 5 ships..  This effect is also known in Milspeak as "friction".  Hopefully the rest of my team is taking advantage of the effect I am creating tying up and delaying effective action by the OPFOR in my area of the map.   No Guarantees, period.  But the possibility has been created.   Of course there's nothing to say that there's not a very clever DD player on the OPFOR doing the very same exact thing to my team!

One of the single most difficult thing for most players to do once they have about a thousand or so matches under their belts is overcoming the fear of taking risks.  Of taking chances in this game.   But the simple fact is you cannot win without risk.   Your a warship commander.  Risk is what you do.  And if your not doing it, you never ever going to be a good warship commander.  So take risks and KEEP TAKING RISKS because that how your going to learn how to take risks that will succeed.  And alway remember success is relative.  Measure it based on your goal at hand..

If I tie up half the enemy team with DD over a 10 minute period.. get sunk and cause no damage earn no score but my team wins, then I did the right thing.

Victory is not achieved by sinking ships.  Victory is achieved by out scoring the other team by the end of 20 minutes of less or play.  There are many way to out score the other team.  But passive play however does not make the list of things to do.

Deception doesn't need to be perfect.. I just needs to be sufficient unto the job at hand.  The above is a fairly common tactic in my playbook and I'm not about to assume that other DD players haven't come up with much the same all on their own.     Like a stage magician I want to control what is seen, and let their thier overly vivid doom seeing imagination fill in the blanks in their perception.    Like tactics are used in any and all types of PvP shooters.  Even though most players cannot adequately even begin to explain what they are actually doing or why it works.

So go read your Sun Tzu.

Warlord sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,573 posts
15,629 battles

What if I am driving my CV and send a rocket attack squadron over the cap and quickly asses that there is just one DD bluffing the flank/cap? Then start attacking and spotting where all the ships are?

Not saying that to be sarcastic, just being realistic.

[HEROS]
Members
1,986 posts
17,594 battles
30 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

What if I am driving my CV and send a rocket attack squadron over the cap and quickly asses that there is just one DD bluffing the flank/cap? Then start attacking and spotting where all the ships are?

Then you make a point of making sure your team knows.  Of course If  my  AA In my normally  IJN DD is off your going to have to get at 2.5 Km or less to spot me from the air.   And you won't be spotting any torps of mine in the water.   And I am not above using wildly evasive maneuvers while dodging your aircraft to snark a couple more spreads of torps into the water that your planes will not see if the opportunity presents it's self and my torps are up.   .Caps vary in size from 6 Km at the lowest tiers to 12 Km on several of the mid and high tier maps.    Thats a lot of area to try and find a DD in.  And that is ASSUMING I'm in the cap.    DD's do not advertise their location if there is no need to.  You have to get close to to see me. and I will see your planes long before that  and maneuver to stay out of visual sight.    Your point is good but, it has holes you can drive a DD through  :-)

Also of note for myself anyway is I do try to keep a few Km of open water between me and the next DD.. you might spot me.. but miss them.  So if I'm not actually alone it could lead your team to make a false assumption and sail right to their doom!

And if your the only carrier on your team on a map with three caps.. you can only be one place at a time.  As I said.. If your a warship commander.. RISK is what you do.   And avoiding risk is not how you put a win on the score board.    And since the CV rework I've seen more and more poof of concept of this idea.    Under the old system CV's could scout multiple areas of the map at once because they had the ability to put all their squadrons up at once allowing them to get a pretty solid look at most of the battlespace.  Not any more.   And getting spotted by CV air is no worse now then it was before.    Under the old system if the CV wanted to sink you, he generally managed to do so.  Same same now. even if the CV is two tiers below your DD.     Now if I'm the only DD or one of 2 DD's on my team.. yep it's a problem, but your also missing the point.

The example I gave was one easily grasped by most anyone who has a basic understanding of the game.   it was not meant to be a specific instructional  "do it this way" but an example of creating a situation to CONTROL the actions of the opposing force through misdirection and deception.  It was provided with specific information to detail the thought process, and aim of the tactical process.   One with sufficient flexibility to allow the player performing this tactical evolution a way to bail out if things go south on them.  Maybe not always but you must be prepared for it. Most especially in a one v. many situation. 

Hopefully that clear it up for you.

Go Read your Sun Tzu! 

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,871 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Like Machiavelli, Sun Tzu gets quoted a lot by Western businessmen … who never actually read or understood the book

Most of it is very dated and particular to a certain time in history

The truth is that any attempt at feinting, deceiving or flanking in the current meta will be quickly discovered … 

Stealth is gone not just for DDs, but everybody - one look at the mini map should tell you that :)

I would recommend another Chinese classic instead, where the entire board is visible and you can see your enemy's movements - Go

Finally, in Wows there is no general to give commands and order players to sacrifice themselves or give up xp - each player operates in his self interest 

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,573 posts
15,629 battles
4 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

The truth is that any attempt at feinting, deceiving or flanking in the current meta will be quickly discovered

:Smile_great:

The truth is as long as there is eyes in the skies, nothing is hidden. I (or any CV driver) doesn't have to see the DD. There is a little notification that says "detected" and you know someone sees you. All it takes is a search pattern in the vicinity and you will find them. Even IJN DD's. They will have to smoke, open up AA, or both. Actually a AA cruiser hid behind a island is more lethal to planes in the air. In the upper tiers where there is 10K radar or longer (Russian cruisers) there is no place to hide even close to a cap for a DD. German sonar can reach out a good distance too, plus see incoming torps.

It's rock, paper, scissors. What the OP posted is sound advice. I just feel like a player must be willing and able to change on a moments notice is as valuable as anything.

• Cool 1