You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RockChunker

Fire Prevention skill. Is it worth it?

21 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
99 posts
7,227 battles

I am curious about the mechanics of the Captains skill, "Fire Prevention".  WG states that the numbers of onboard fires is limited to 4 fires.  I never have had 4 fires going at the same time in any game I've played so far, so I'm hesitant about getting this if that is the case.  BUT,  I am wondering if this skill will help prevent fires in the first place.  That would be something I would be interested in. I would love to hear some feedback on this.  The ship I am  using regarding this is the Scharnhorst.

Thanks,

RockChunker

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,715 posts
4,630 battles

'worth it' on what?  On a BB?  Yes.  Better than CE on most, but it's not a magic elixir; you're still going to burn.  To me the greater benefit is the % chance of fire reduction.

Edited by iDuckman

[PVE]
Members
1,027 posts
8,520 battles

The key isn't going from 4 fires to 3. It is going from 2 to 1 in the superstructure where most fires are lit. Definitely worth it on BBs.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

It's a very good skill for BBs because HE spammers go for the middle superstructure area a lot.  They try to get 2 fires in that area, but with FP, that gets reduced to only 1 fire for the same area.  2 fires in the superstructure area is the easiest to get when you have any semblance of a side shot, or worse, people attacking from multiple angles.

If I'm using an HE spamming ship, 2 fires for superstructure is what I try to get first.  If the BB then trys to angle to present less of a target, with those 2 fires set in the center superstructure, I then go for fire on the bow or stern, whichever gets presented, and if I'm lucky, that's 3 fires.

A ship with FP will reduce that to 2 fires instead of the 3 I'm hoping for.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,253 posts
5,775 battles

No. I never use it as it doesn't do what it says it does. 

When it was a 1 point skill, it was worth it. Would be worth as a 2 point, maybe even a 3. But in no way is it ever worth 4. 

First off, it doesn't reduce your changes by 10%. It merely takes off 10% on the attackers fire chance. Meaning, if they have a 30% to cause a fire. To you it will only be 27%. Is it really worth spending 4 points to cut down only 3% of each shell coming at you? No. 

It also cuts down from 4 fires to 3. Big whoop. I've have 4 fires on me only twice ever. That was only because 3-4 ships were shooting me all at once. Not gonna live through that anyways. 

• Cool 2

Members
935 posts
4,073 battles

Yes, for battleships. I actually find it useful and you really do take less damage from fires due to the reduced amount of maximum fires on your ship and you also don't catch fire as often. I take it on my American high tier battleships and my French battleships and it works well.

Edited by richie_macrophage

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

Yes... it reduces DMG of 4 fires to maximum 3. Higher tiers as ships are longer... 4 fires from a conqueror of a rate of every salvo is annoying. 

So I say take it if you dont like burning down fast.

Dont take it, then you're going to burn at a faster rate.

Alpha Tester
2,409 posts
8,275 battles
10 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

When it was a 1 point skill, it was worth it. Would be worth as a 2 point, maybe even a 3. But in no way is it ever worth 4. 

First off, it doesn't reduce your changes by 10%. It merely takes off 10% on the attackers fire chance. Meaning, if they have a 30% to cause a fire. To you it will only be 27%. Is it really worth spending 4 points to cut down only 3% of each shell coming at you? No. 

It also cuts down from 4 fires to 3. Big whoop. I've have 4 fires on me only twice ever. That was only because 3-4 ships were shooting me all at once. Not gonna live through that anyways. 

This is the best reason why its not worth 4pts. 

[2CUTE]
Supertester
24 posts
5,082 battles

I use it on bbs, As it can help suitability. It turns the super structure into 1 fire, instead of being split into 2 which helps cause that's the easiest part to set fires on. When there is a HE spammer (example Conq), It will help a lot with fires.  

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

It's not just worth it, it's virtually mandatory at high tiers on BBs.

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
1 hour ago, RockChunker said:

I am curious about the mechanics of the Captains skill, "Fire Prevention".  WG states that the numbers of onboard fires is limited to 4 fires.  I never have had 4 fires going at the same time in any game I've played so far, so I'm hesitant about getting this if that is the case.  BUT,  I am wondering if this skill will help prevent fires in the first place.  That would be something I would be interested in. I would love to hear some feedback on this.  The ship I am  using regarding this is the Scharnhorst.

Thanks,

RockChunker

57 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

The key isn't going from 4 fires to 3. It is going from 2 to 1 in the superstructure where most fires are lit. Definitely worth it on BBs.

This^^^

The -10% chance vs the attacker setting you on fire is not big. The fact that your superstructure, which is the easiest to set on fire, goes from 2 fire locations to 1 fire location is what makes it worth it.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,898 posts
35,049 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

This^^^

The -10% chance vs the attacker setting you on fire is not big. The fact that your superstructure, which is the easiest to set on fire, goes from 2 fire locations to 1 fire location is what makes it worth it.

Hadn’t thought about it until now but I can tell which BBs have fire prevention and which don’t when I hit them with Tiny Tim rockets. 1 fire => FP

2 fires => nope 

Tiny Tim’s have a 33% fire chance 

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
2 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Hadn’t thought about it until now but I can tell which BBs have fire prevention and which don’t when I hit them with Tiny Tim rockets. 1 fire => FP

2 fires => nope 

Tiny Tim’s have a 33% fire chance 

Yep, when FP is on a ship, you will see the whole superstructure go on fire with one fire. If only half the superstructure goes on fire, then that ship doesn't have FP.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,893 posts
45,055 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yep, when FP is on a ship, you will see the whole superstructure go on fire with one fire. If only half the superstructure goes on fire, then that ship doesn't have FP.

Shh.  Stop telling secrets.  LOL

[TARK]
Members
6,486 posts
2,492 battles

It depends on the build type.

If you want good secondaries, it's not going to be high priority (AFT, manual secondaries, IFHE). Similarly for AA build (manual AA, AFT).

If you go survival...then it's important (FP, CE).

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
36 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

Shh.  Stop telling secrets.  LOL

:Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, Supertester
946 posts
13,234 battles

I did use this skill. Mostly BBs but also my CB Moskva, nosing in at times, with being a target i want the centre fires reduced to one. 

It really depends how you use this, but it is worth taking on some ship's.