You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

Where To Assign Special Captains?

12 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
4,088 posts
9,559 battles

Scrolling through my captain reserves, I noticed that I have the following four captains still unassigned to any ship, some of which have been sitting in the reserves for close to a year now:

• Russian Alexander Ovechkin (enhanced Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert)
  • American Alexander Ovechkin (enhanced Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert)
  • Germany Franz von Jutland (enhanced Jack of all Trades and Vigilance)
  • Russian Viktor Znamensky (enhanced Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, and High Alert)

Given their peculiar skill setups, the only one that I have a decent idea about is the Russian Alexander Ovechkin (who I'm probably going to put in Minsk, since it's a very good destroyer and I will soon have a perma-camo for her). For the rest, I am mystified, especially since I don't have a lot of premium ships like Belfast or Leningrad which these captains would be a great fit for).

Granted, I wasn't particularly picky when I assigned Jack Dunkirk to be my primary British BB captain (as obviously smoke screen expert is useless on that line), but I still would like to waste as few skills as possible.

Any suggestions on which ships I should assign these captains to? I prefer not to have these captains in mothball any longer.

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

Ovechkins either go on dds for more health or battleships for more turret traverse. 

Franz is pretty worthless. Sorry, franz, you should have gotten a real degree. 

Viktor can go somewhat usefully on mid-low tier russian DDs, or BBs for the turret traverse. I would suggest using him for your minsk while you use ovechkin for your high tier russian dds. 

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles

I actually made Franz my German DD captain for Z-39, and took the Vigilance skill.
The American Ovenchicken went to Colorado, as I wanted to keep her when I won a North Carolina from last year's Halloween event. 
I don't have Viktor Znamensky, but I think he works best for Russian BBs. 

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,128 posts
19,944 battles
2 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Scrolling through my captain reserves, I noticed that I have the following four captains still unassigned to any ship, some of which have been sitting in the reserves for close to a year now:

• Russian Alexander Ovechkin (enhanced Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert)
  • American Alexander Ovechkin (enhanced Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert)
  • Russian Viktor Znamensky (enhanced Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman, and High Alert)

Given their peculiar skill setups, the only one that I have a decent idea about is the Russian Alexander Ovechkin (who I'm probably going to put in Minsk, since it's a very good destroyer and I will soon have a perma-camo for her). For the rest, I am mystified, especially since I don't have a lot of premium ships like Belfast or Leningrad which these captains would be a great fit for).

Granted, I wasn't particularly picky when I assigned Jack Dunkirk to be my primary British BB captain (as obviously smoke screen expert is useless on that line), but I still would like to waste as few skills as possible.

Any suggestions on which ships I should assign these captains to? I prefer not to have these captains in mothball any longer.

I would and have put ov on dds, he’s currently on my khab and fletcher (haven’t unlocked gearing) franz is on my gk, and i will put vik on bbs when they come out. I would put them on the highest tier ship you have and/or the ship you play most/for competetive such as ranked/clan wars.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,708 posts

I have Ovechikn on my Gearing for the boosted SE. John Doe is on Missouri for me due to the improved EL cutting reload times down when switching shells and improved EM, Halsey is on Alaska and Yamamoto is on Musashi.

Beta Testers
898 posts
14,840 battles

Yamamoto in Yamato

Ovechkin in Midway or gearing

JonDOe /ol segagal/ montana 

French on Republique /cause there is nothing what we can do about/

German doesnt matter cause im on secondary builds from T8- T10

[ARGSY]
Members
20,138 posts
14,323 battles
4 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I get the feeling that the Russian Ovechkin was intended for Russian destroyers between T5 and T7, for which extra turret traverse and survivability expert are both useful. US Ovechkin is a problem since American destroyers don't usually have turret traverse issues and American battleships don't benefit much on a percentage basis from that bit of extra health. Maybe lower-tier American cruisers?

Znamesky seems very suited to battleships, but this is odd for a captain who was introduced when the only Russian battleships were premiums (one of which, the Nikolai, was withdrawn from sale). I don't have any Russian cruisers higher than the Kirov; maybe he's useful there?

Franz von Jutland seems tailor-made for the Z-52 and other German destroyers that have hydro, giving a quicker time to the next charge, and stacking with Vigilance to keep them safer from torpedoes in smoke.

Members
647 posts
72 battles
5 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Russian ones are great for Grozovoi and soon on the BBs

American should also go to Gearing or Fletcher because of the SE.

German is best for Hinden.

[INTEL]
Members
3,057 posts
16,805 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Franz von Jutland seems tailor-made for the Z-52 and other German destroyers that have hydro, giving a quicker time to the next charge, and stacking with Vigilance to keep them safer from torpedoes in smoke.

I' was torn a bit on where to put Franz.  He's a big benefit to DDs but those skills are also very beneficial to a ship such as GK.  With Vigilance stacked on top of it's hydro range it's reasonable to be able to get out of the way of most torpedoes.  Jack of All Trades also knocks quite a bit off of the BB 120/80 cooldown on DCP and Repair Party.  But then, it's even more beneficial on the DD's 240/160 smoke cooldown.

In the end, it's an easier choice for me since my preferred skills on the DDs include Radio Location along with Concealment.  That only leaves 11 points for Superintendent, Last Stand, Adrenaline Rush and Priority Target.  No room for Vigilance and JoAT.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
661 posts
6,278 battles

Probably due to my lack of imagination, the Russian Ovechkin will probably go on Sinop.  The USN one has been bouncing around on  BBs and CAs-- most recently Mass, Indianapolis, and Wichita.  /shrug  Not sure where he'll end up.   Maybe WV.

Members
927 posts
10,236 battles

My Russian Ovechkin is on Gnevny.  The turret traverse is already pretty good, but now it is better.  Harder to place the American Ovechkin optimally since the DDs have such good traverse already, but mine is on Mayan (still working my way up the line) using only the enhanced SE.

My Znamenski is on Minsk, using all the special skills.  With the enhanced PM and HA I have not even taken LS (yet).

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
214 posts
10,729 battles
  • RU Ovechkin's are ideal for RU DD's (EM and SE).  Also good for anything that would benefit from EM (BB/CA)
  • US Ovechkin's are ideal for USA DD's (SE, EM not needed on US DD's).  Also good for anything that would benefit from EM (BB's and lower tier CA's)
  • Viktor Znamensky is a good across the board as most RU ships get a benefit from EM, with PM and HA also being useful if you've got room for them

I've not picked up Franz as I haven't been able to determine a build I would run where he would provide extra benefit.  I'm not real high on the DD/BB yet, so maybe I just haven't gotten to the point of his skills making sense yet.

Abbye