Herr_Reitz

New Bicycle Technologies

6 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
2,660 posts
27,035 battles

Barnes Wallis' geodesic airframe. Used in Vickers Wellesley bombers in 1934 and Vickers Wellington bombers in 1938/39. Wallis first tested the concept on a bicycle frame. Somebody must have looked it up because it never gets mentioned in any written works about Wallis' designs. Makes for a lightweight damage-resistant frame with a excellent internal volume. On a green bike with hybrid propulsion you could fit the rechargeable batteries inside the frame quite nicely without the bike being too heavy. In the RAF bombers, the large volume this design allows and light weight made for a greater payload compared to other twin-engined bombers of the day. My son was/is a bike nut who competed at the national level as a young man and he brought this to my attention years ago. He still rides and trains hard despite being over 45, but no longer competes. This old fart still rides too...

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,070 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I started it where things start looking worthy of purchases...

You do find the craziest, most interesting things. Good job on this find, very cool.

Members
4,232 posts
9,849 battles

There are far more advanced and useful bike tech developments happening out there than these yuppie hypes, sorry.

E.g.:

and:

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,446 posts

Well ya see @Stauffenberg44 I saw those already. Yeah, the gear drive direct setup was pretty interesting, but the overall expense/efficiency of it has been questioned by a ton of folks.

I often put stuff out here that in some cases I think it's weird, or bizarre or just strange.  Thanks for the GCN additions tho

• Cool 1

Members
4,232 posts
9,849 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Well ya see @Stauffenberg44 I saw those already. Yeah, the gear drive direct setup was pretty interesting, but the overall expense/efficiency of it has been questioned by a ton of folks.

I often put stuff out here that in some cases I think it's weird, or bizarre or just strange.  Thanks for the GCN additions tho

OK cool. That driveshaft bike has to be the most incredible innovation I have seen.