You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SJ_Sailer

Helena - Take DE or IFHE on next point?

26 comments in this topic

Members
655 posts

Helena Has awesome HE and devastating AP..... Secondaries Deliver and has just enough Armor to play dangerously close.

I would use IFHE before DE

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles

Definitely IFHE; your shells will penetrate more on BBs and you'll get more damage out of every match.

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
1,584 posts
4,409 battles
5 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

IFHE should actually be taken before CE on U.S. light cruisers.

About that... I actually went to take a cap using CE in my Dallas. But it's pretty situational so IFHE is the better choice.

Edited by destawaits

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
5 minutes ago, destawaits said:

About that... I actually went to take a cap using CE in my Dallas. But it's pretty situational so IFHE is the better choice.

Because of their high gun arcs, U.S. CLs are generally island campers. CE is a great skill for them, but it's far more important that your shells are able to hurt everything that comes within range.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,816 battles

IFHE.

In fact since CV rework you can expect at least a carrier every game so CE kinda lost his value. IFHE helps you deal with target the CV will spots.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,042 posts
23,838 battles

152mm guns, especially for CLs around these tiers, need IFHE for more consistent damage.  Ideally DE & IFHE if possible but IFHE is a minimum otherwise you get lots of non-pens across more targets than you would have with it.

Is it nice to get fires to pad the stats?  Yes.  But the chances of fires can be reduced by the target and even the duration can be lowered as well.  Which is why it's important for CLs to actually penetrate for reliable damage instead of relying on fires too heavily.

Without IFHE

152mm / 6 = 25.33 or 25mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.  There are a lot of targets with 25mm of armor that will stop Non-IFHE 152mm HE shells, even CRUISERS you start encountering can stop this.

With IFHE

(152mm / 6) * 1.3 IFHE = 32.9 or 33mm of armor needed to defeat this HE shell.  With IFHE lots more armor is open for penetration damage for 152mm HE.  This includes the many 32mm armor found on RN, French, and lots of RU Battleships.  Cruisers will eat consistent damage.

Tier IX Alsace, Jean Bart, Lion for example are coated in 32mm armor, even their decks.  Those are ships Helena can encounter.  You can aim for the superstructure without IFHE and pen, that's fine, but eventually that area gets Damage Saturated and your damage output with HE drops significantly against those same areas.  You need more areas to do damage against, and IFHE for 152mm does that.  So after farming the BB superstructure, you move on to the 32mm deck, 32mm bow, etc.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

IFHE, no contest. Its arguably mandatory skill for the USN light cruisers. DE is pretty much garbage.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,536 posts
12,810 battles

IFHE.  I don't bother with DE

[HDR]
Beta Testers
314 posts
7,358 battles

Manual secondaries! If your friends jump off a bridge would you ?!?!?!!

• Funny 1

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
2 minutes ago, berree said:

Manual secondaries! If your friends jump off a bridge would you ?!?!?!!

This.

(But srs bsns, though: IFHE.)

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts

IFHE is mandatory for cruisers armed with 6 inch guns if you want to have a reliable way of damaging battleships or angled cruisers.

Much as I dislike HE spam sometimes it's a necessary tactic.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

ifhe when you get to cleveland you will be happy you took it.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,983 posts
20,690 battles
4 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

IFHE. It’s so important I took it BEFORE Concealment Expert.

This....

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,920 posts
15,343 battles

Please take a look into this and tell how is your experiences

[WOLFC]
Members
2,874 posts
16,276 battles
7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

IFHE. It’s so important I took it BEFORE Concealment Expert.

^^^^ 100%

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
4,754 battles
9 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

IFHE, no contest. Its arguably mandatory skill for the USN light cruisers. DE is pretty much garbage.

Yes, that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.  Could use a free re-spec about now and would swap out CE.  I am still 1.1 point shy for IFHE.

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,410 battles
11 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Have Helena with PT-AR-SI-CE.  Next skill DE or IFHE?

IFHE if you want to greatly increase your damage output.  I don't even run DE on mine.

[YORHA]
Members
4,997 posts
9,992 battles

Did anyone mention you should take IFHE before DE?  

[MHG]
Members
883 posts
4,754 battles
2 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Did anyone mention you should take IFHE before DE?  

Once or twice.  I will have to spend some quality time to get that 14th point.  

Since the CV rework I only play Algie, Yorck, Helena, Fiji now.  Usually one game each if I can fit it in.  Have been neglecting Helena recently since I have a HORRIBLE win rate on it.  I have gone back to it recently after grinding Algie and have been doing better in her.  I really want to give that IFHE a try now but points get really high after 10. 

[SRBL]
Members
485 posts
11,666 battles
13 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Have Helena with PT-AR-SI-CE.  Next skill DE or IFHE?

I run PT, HA, AR, SI, DE, IFHE and CE. I found that DE was a better choice for me the second time a ran up a 19pt captain ahead of SI as I did not always use up all my consumables but it was nice to have the extra charge for the DFAA and I took IFHE before CE both times. 

Edited by Tom_Greg

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles
2 hours ago, SJ_Sailer said:

Yes, that seems to be the overwhelming consensus.  Could use a free re-spec about now and would swap out CE.  I am still 1.1 point shy for IFHE.

You want both CE and IFHE. It's up for debate I suppose which order you take them, but I would still pick CE before IFHE.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles

Why even consider DE?  Do you have trouble setting fires?  Of course not.  The only justification for DE on Helena is as the antidote for the IFHE that you already took.  (Like others, I took IFHE before CE.)

BTW, don't forget to switch to AP ever once in a while.  It does nasty nasty things to red botes.