You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Should I start grinding IJN Cruisers?

15 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

I have been using A LOT of torps on my German Cruisers. So, I am thinking about grinding the IJN Cruisers. Should I grind it? (I only have Hashidate)

Members
3,585 posts
13,004 battles

If you like torps, sure. But the IJN high tier cruisers are squishier than the KM high tier cruisers.

But then again, I read you mostly play co op. So do whichever you like. 

Members
5,413 posts
3,213 battles

Absolutely, have always loved the IJN cruisers. Tier 4 and down you're a floating citadel, but the Furutaka and up is all 8-inch guns, stealthy ships with fantastic torpedo armaments. The only ones that are "meh" are Aoba to a degree and Ibuki, which is basically a Mogami with access to tier 9 mods. All solid ships though with fantastic HE and workable AP.

[KNCOL]
Members
791 posts
1,749 battles
9 minutes ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Absolutely, have always loved the IJN cruisers. Tier 4 and down you're a floating citadel, but the Furutaka and up is all 8-inch guns, stealthy ships with fantastic torpedo armaments. The only ones that are "meh" are Aoba to a degree and Ibuki, which is basically a Mogami with access to tier 9 mods. All solid ships though with fantastic HE and workable AP.

Aoba is my favorite of the non premium IJN cruisers. She is basically like the taco but with just weird torp arcs (tier 6 is my favorite tier to play and the myoko is really good to but the aoba feels a bit more maneuverable which I prefer)

[WOLFG]
Members
9,628 posts
8,610 battles
2 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Aoba is my favorite of the non premium IJN cruisers. She is basically like the taco but with just weird torp arcs (tier 6 is my favorite tier to play and the myoko is really good to but the aoba feels a bit more maneuverable which I prefer)

If by weird, you mean reverse low tier German DD torps, then yes.

OP, tier 3 and 4 have decent arcs, but no armor.  Getting your torps off is a business decision.

T5 Furutaka if angled is difficult to kill 1v1 against a BB in coop.

Aoba angle are totally different, you launch while kiting.

Members
193 posts
9,200 battles

The IJN cruisers generally have weak AA, which would be a problem in the higher tiers. Then again, my NC, which is supposed to have very strong AA, gets bullied and humiliated by aircraft routinely, so it may not matter anymore.

• Meh 1

Members
76 posts
4,172 battles

This may not be relevant, but if you like torps, why don't you play dds?

Torps in cruiser lines, at its best, are more of a complement..Guns are always more reliable weapons of choice..

But if you only play coops, go nuts with yolo torps..

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,248 battles

I have an Atago and a Mogomi right now for IJN cruisers. I play the Atago more than any other of my ships. Good maneuverability, 10 8" guns, and great torpedo arcs. My goal is to get a Zao.

If you like mixing gunplay with torpedos, grind through the IJN crusiers.

[EBONR]
Members
187 posts
19,574 battles
59 minutes ago, USSCurtis said:

The IJN cruisers generally have weak AA

While this is true for the most part can hold my own in the Myoko AA spected and shoot down a lot of planes with this boat believe my best is 36 most cv's see IJN and go after me to have there planes shot down

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
10 hours ago, liangshepherd said:

This may not be relevant, but if you like torps, why don't you play dds?

Torps in cruiser lines, at its best, are more of a complement..Guns are always more reliable weapons of choice..

But if you only play coops, go nuts with yolo torps..

I am playing USN DDs too.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I'll be honest - I think IJN cruisers peak at Myoko, and that's where you should stop. Mogami isn't great due to her lack of a heal, Ibuki blows, and Zao is just meh. Myoko, on the other hand, enjoys glorious tier 7 matchmaking, and is essentially as 'complete' an IJN cruiser experience as you're going to have.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[-1]
Members
696 posts
9,949 battles

I loved IJN cruisers up to tier 7. Playing Mogami right now and don’t like it—this ship just explodes. No luck with Atago too; I just can’t figure out how to carry in it. I understand design where you spam HE behind island or kite away and dodge/bounce enemy shells but Atago and especially Mogami just can’t do it. I know that some people enjoy these ships but I can’t get to love them thus far.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,104 battles

My first line and I loved them, and still have all from Tenryu up. Their AA varies from lackluster to good (Myoko can be made pretty strong for tier), but the guns have good sigma and the torps are excellent. Just remember that torp arcs from middle tiers up bear astern, except the premium Atago's which are fabulous. WG wants you to cave in and use the 8" gun on Mogami, but the 155s are a DPM hoot once you build the ship for them and steer to help the awful turret traverse. I took forever to learn how to do anything with Myoko, Mogami and Atago, I was too aggressive and died fast. 

They are a mite squishy though, LOOK AT THAT CITADEL. Its a mile long. 

I had a hard time my first time around on Ibuki and free XP'd the last of the grind. Now that its reload and sigma have been buffed, I find it is effective with the spotter plane, spotter plane mod duration module, and double rudder shift; you are shooting at range and dodging and get steady damage and big potential damage numbers. Flamu did a video on this build.  

Hope you have fun, but be warned, they have good firepower and serious alpha in the torps, but most of these are not tanky ships. 

[PVE]
Members
4,274 posts
18,658 battles

I ground the IJN lines and really like the Cruisers because they are masters of none and really well balanced ships....  For me, I play them in an "Inside to outside" manner....  Angled in to help DD's Cap or spot and then, disengage launching torpedoes on the way out and then, repeating that process because you have the range to do so !   Another neat trick are stern chases....  Do not stern chase the IJN CA's.......there are a lot of torpedoes to dodge if you do and, good IJN CPT's can bracket you so that no mater how you turn, you're gonna eat at least one spread of torps....

They are squishy and a little AA short but, my favorites.....  The Zao.............now that is a neat ship.

Members
76 posts
4,172 battles
1 hour ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I am playing USN DDs too.

Traditionally speaking, the IJN dd lines are more capable with torps comparing with USN ones, especially in mid tiers with usable range.

But if you play coop, range won't be much issue since bots always come to you.

Edited by liangshepherd