You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sumseaman

Some of the new premium ships. Tier X US DD amongst them.

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet.

The little Flamu offers some insight into some new premiums on the horizon. It is clearly disgusted with a few things and finds some others highly questionable!

Interesting to see what could be the first tier X premium DD.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,195 battles

Somers/Porter wil probably be a T7 or T8 when finalized. She cannot survive at T10 or T9 with the weak AA. As far as the history goes, she fits in with Mahan class as a DD leader. With WG it just might be another wth moment

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
9 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Somers/Porter wil probably be a T7 or T8 when finalized. She cannot survive at T10 or T9 with the weak AA. As far as the history goes, she fits in with Mahan class as a DD leader. With WG it just might be another wth moment

Does she have worst AA than the Shima?

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles
22 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Does she have worst AA than the Shima?

Somers has worse AA than the Tier V Hill that Flamu was previewing :Smile_trollface:

Somers was one of those mid 1930s US DD designs.  Back before anyone figured slapping on AA guns should probably be a thing.  Even her older 127mm turrets wouldn't see the improved dual purpose ones as found on the newer DDs as on the likes of Benson, Fletcher, etc.

Anyways, to answer your question finally, Shimakaze is like a Gearing compared to Somers.  Here's a picture with Flamu's video showing Somers' pathetic AA with my Shima AA port values slapped on top.

vzp42s0.jpg

According to Wikipedia, Somers got in 1944 a refit to get her some 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors, but the 127mm turrets weren't upgraded to the newer ones of later US DDs.  The version we have in this preview is the pre-1944 version.  I'd dare to say that even with the 1944 refit, her AA would still be quite sh*t.  But I guess this is WG's way to balance out 12 Gearing Torps in faster reloads than Gearing herself.

If Somers had come out before the Rework she'd definitely be a monster, probably OP.  But with CVs being more common now with the CV Rework, my money is on Gearing.  Still, I definitely would not want to be in the torpedo attack zone of Somers in any of my ships.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,195 battles

Spawn 5 torps every 40 seconds non-stop with clear lanes once all the tubes are loaded for the first shot. She has the speed to stand clear of her team mates and a decent smoke to get out of jail free. Gonna hit something at that rate and range!! Very different indeed! I see a lot of pink and orange coming....

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
1 hour ago, shadowsrmine said:

Shima's not a gun boat

Somers is not a gunboat either with 12 16km torpedo center line.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

Somers is really a cool DD, probably real fun.  But the reality is that the increased presence of CVs makes them a very dangerous threat to her.  And that's what WG is probably banking on to balance her.  Somers could stay out of Radar range from all those US Radar Cruisers and still send them lots of torpedo love.  Her gun power is nothing to be laughed off, either.  She's also, IIRC from the Flamu video, supposed to be pretty fast.  But that AA rating of 6 is like a big highlight of WG saying, "Have fun, but this is your Achilles Hell."  When your AA armament is .50 cal x2 and 28mm x4 guns in Tier X, facing the powerful Tier X Carriers, as well as the Tier VIII ones which are no slouches against a DD... The weakness is so blatantly obvious that it's a bit comedic :Smile_trollface:

But if you can get Somers into a Non-CV game, this thing I can see doing pretty good.  Imagine Gearing running loose with no CVs around on your flank, but this time Somers has more torps that reload faster by default before build considerations are taken into account.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,067 posts
2,541 battles
1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

And she fire a total of 96 shells per minute to Gearing's 120 shells per minutes.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,082 posts
2 hours ago, Y_Nagato said:

:Smile_great:

1 hour ago, Hurlbut said:

And she fire a total of 96 shells per minute to Gearing's 120 shells per minutes.

:Smile_great:Closer to being a Gun Boat than Shima  if a player with a Shima  goes gun to gun most tier 8-10  USN,KM,VMF,PA  That play has only a few good choices Torp em Smoke up n hide run or kiss his :etc_swear: goodbye  and Somers  looks one of those ships he'd better avoid as well

• Cool 1

Members
5,413 posts
3,213 battles
5 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

5 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

Shima's not a gun boat

If we're going to be real none of the T10 DDs have enough AA for it to actually impact CV strikes in the current state. Maybe a Gearing or Groz spec'd for AA bringing DF, but that's about it.

Members
4,313 posts
4,585 battles

Until I see the short range DPS, will laugh if Campbeltown has better AA than Somers. 

Edit: Oh, it's 68 dps

shot-19_05.18_20_51.20-0130.thumb.jpg.7a01e234cb17242d7e37baf6381743ba.jpgshot-19_05.18_20_50.08-0575.thumb.jpg.512fc85835d88790d953434cc32b9301.jpg

Edited by Yoshiblue

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

Wow a prewar ship getting put into tier x. 

Colbert- taken too soon.

and a Soviet cruiser that seems paper. At this point I think the USSR is going to have more tier Xs than Japan.

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

Somers will probably be heavily nerfed. No dual-purpose AA doesn't justify being better than Gearing in so many ways. AA on a DD is about as needed as torpedoes on a soviet cruiser. 

Members
3,067 posts
2,541 battles
5 hours ago, NeoRussia said:

Somers will probably be heavily nerfed. No dual-purpose AA doesn't justify being better than Gearing in so many ways. AA on a DD is about as needed as torpedoes on a soviet cruiser. 

Dude look at my earlier post; Somers currently fire 96 shells per minute to Gearings' 120 shells. Despite having 4x2 to Gearing's 3x2. They both have the same gun but different mounts, Somers being a single purpose one.

[-BSS-]
Members
240 posts
14,773 battles

Somers only has 2 more torpedoes than the Gearing but is faster. I think it will be an interesting ship but I don't know if it will replace my Gearing as my go to DD.

[ANK-A]
Members
437 posts
13,473 battles

My Dad was a machinist mate on board the USS Jouett, a Somers class destroyer during WWII.  I will be very interested in getting the Somers.  Does anyone know how we will get it?  

USS_Jouett_DD-396_01.jpg

[TARK]
Members
640 posts
18 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Somers has worse AA than the Tier V Hill that Flamu was previewing :Smile_trollface:

Somers was one of those mid 1930s US DD designs.  Back before anyone figured slapping on AA guns should probably be a thing.  Even her older 127mm turrets wouldn't see the improved dual purpose ones as found on the newer DDs as on the likes of Benson, Fletcher, etc.

Anyways, to answer your question finally, Shimakaze is like a Gearing compared to Somers.  Here's a picture with Flamu's video showing Somers' pathetic AA with my Shima AA port values slapped on top.

vzp42s0.jpg

According to Wikipedia, Somers got in 1944 a refit to get her some 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors, but the 127mm turrets weren't upgraded to the newer ones of later US DDs.  The version we have in this preview is the pre-1944 version.  I'd dare to say that even with the 1944 refit, her AA would still be quite sh*t.  But I guess this is WG's way to balance out 12 Gearing Torps in faster reloads than Gearing herself.

If Somers had come out before the Rework she'd definitely be a monster, probably OP.  But with CVs being more common now with the CV Rework, my money is on Gearing.  Still, I definitely would not want to be in the torpedo attack zone of Somers in any of my ships.

ROFL!!!  6 AA rating?!?!?!

Yeah.  No one... NO ONE... will be able to play that boat.

Members
3,067 posts
2,541 battles

Well they can add a second hull to her, representing her 1944 hull configuration

1944:

6 × 5-inch/38 caliber guns (127 mm) single purpose (3 × 2)

2 × 40 mm Bofors guns (1 × 2)

6 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons

8 × 21-inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (2 × 4)

But you give up  the 4th turret and one of the quad launchers for it (I think the turret and torp launcher removals weren't just about having more space for AA but also for top weight stability issue)

Edited by Hurlbut

Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

The somers is 100% a torp boat with the triple mounts. Sure, it's 12 instead of 15 torps, but it's also on a faster reload and with better torpedo properties. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,915 posts
11,596 battles

Somers could just have 2 hulls like Monaghan does, one with more guns, but bad AA, and the other giving up a gun mount and i think a torpedo tube in Somers case, for more modern AA, boom, problem solved

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,082 posts
52 minutes ago, DFAA_DDs_Only said:

I disagree. 

I have a Shima  I also have quite a few other DD's  from Exp reading up on em as well as discussing with players like @Destroyer_KuroshioKai getting in a gun fight with DD's That Are Gun Boats  in a Shima except when as a last resort usually doesn't end well!  So disagree all you like and go ahead and fight your Shima like a gun boat I ain't,  That's for my Gearing,Harugumo,Kitakaze,Akizuki,Kiev,Leningrad,Blyskwica,Sims...............................And ply the Shima  like the torp boat she is

• Cool 1

Members
1,140 posts
6,636 battles
27 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

I have a Shima  I also have quite a few other DD's  from Exp reading up on em as well as discussing with players like @Destroyer_KuroshioKai getting in a gun fight with DD's That Are Gun Boats  in a Shima except when as a last resort usually doesn't end well!  So disagree all you like and go ahead and fight your Shima like a gun boat I ain't,  That's for my Gearing,Harugumo,Kitakaze,Akizuki,Kiev,Leningrad,Blyskwica,Sims...............................And ply the Shima  like the torp boat she is

youre not factoring in : kiting, player skill, alpha, shell travel speed, enemy team comp, enemy teammates in range, enemy teammates skill level, etc.

Shima can be a gunboat, and i run it as such. Maybe not to the levels you think of. I prefer alpha over dpm. Torps were always a area denial tool, never a direct damage tool. It was just a bonus. 

Having higher alpha gives me 4~ seconds of full attention dodging. it actually has synergism with the shima playstyle. This helps the shima with survivability. Mitigating damage by active dodging is never as good as concealment, but it works.

Shimas alpha is perfectly usable, especially with 2 turrets in the back and acceptable gun angles. 

Gunboat wise. A shima can beat pretty much everything but a well played : groz, khab, maybe new french dds yet to be decided. Gearing has terrible shell arcs so you can effectively kite it past 8km and win if hes stupid enough to pursue. Same with YY. Daring is more diffcult but still has the shell travel speed problem and either or not they ran IFHE, if anything overall the daring is a very dangerous boat to play against in a shima along with a z52, they are dangerous but not impossible to fight against. Haragumo has decent shell speed and arcs and can gun you down, but its extreme sluggishness makes it a liability. I wouldnt directly confront one, but rather default to torps.

With destroyer it would depend on what dd he is runing and depending on if a cv is in match or hes in a division. I cant say wither or not hes beatable but anyone is in favorable situations. Creating those situations is a part of being a good dd player. Playing against him in a dd is more of a mind game while still contributing than an actual battle like you think it would be. It would fall to whomever makes a mistake first. This isnt including external factors like cv. 

I dont think your understanding what I am saying at all. I looked you up, but you marked your account as private so i cant determine if your skill level is the reason why youre not getting it. 

Unless you factor in torps at all, in a straight up gun fight a shima will lose if played very poorly, but with proper play a shima has all the tools to be competitive in both torpedoes and guns. 

I run f3 torps with a gunboat build minus AFT. 

OzabH7C.png

Edited by DFAA_DDs_Only
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,082 posts
10 minutes ago, DFAA_DDs_Only said:

youre not factoring in : kiting, player skill, alpha, shell travel speed, enemy team comp, enemy teammates in range, enemy teammates skill level, etc.

Shima can be a gunboat, and i run it as such. Maybe not to the levels you think of. I prefer alpha over dpm. Torps were always a area denial tool, never a direct damage tool. It was just a bonus. 

Shimas alpha is perfectly usable, especially with 2 turrets in the back and acceptable gun angles. 

Gunboat wise. A shima can beat pretty much everything but a well played : groz, khab, maybe new french dds yet to be decided. Gearing has terrible shell arcs so you can effectively kite it past 8km and win if hes stupid enough to pursue. Same with YY. Daring is more diffcult but still has the shell travel speed problem and either or not they ran IFHE, if anything overall the daring is a very dangerous boat to play against in a shima along with a z52, they are dangerous but not impossible to fight against. Haragumo has decent shell speed and arcs and can gun you down, but its extreme sluggishness makes it a liability. I wouldnt directly confront one, but rather default to torps.

With destroyer it would depend on what dd he is runing and depending on if a cv is in match or hes in a division. I cant say wither or not hes beatable but anyone is in favorable situations. Creating those situations is a part of being a good dd player. Playing against him in a dd is more of a mind game while still contributing than an actual battle like you think it would be. It would fall to whomever makes a mistake first. This isnt including external factors like cv. 

I dont think your understanding what I am saying at all. I looked you up, but you marked your account as private so i cant determine if your skill level is the reason why youre not getting it. 

Unless you factor in torps at all, in a straight up gun fight a shima will lose if played very poorly, but with proper play a shima has all the tools to be competitive in both torpedoes and guns. 

I run f3 torps with a gunboat build minus AFT. 

OzabH7C.png

Quibbling  about  using this strategy or that one doesn't change a ships class or how she plays you can fight a cruiser like a BB  or  a  DD  that doesn't change what she plays like or what she's suited for, Yeah you fit a square peg into a round hole and Vica Versa that either one will fit or do another job well other what she's suited for,  That's one of the big issues with RN DD line  they were made to be a Jack Of All Trades/Class Of  DD  and doing none of as well as the class specialized in it. 

• Cool 1