You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

DDs still not playable

52 comments in this topic

Members
3,727 posts

Decided to give Grozovoi another try since it is supposedly the best AA DD. I tried it out with a hybrid half AA build and was quickly deleted by a Midway with minimum planes shot down.

Spent a bunch of Captain XP to train a 10 point reserve captain up to make him a full AA captain. Full AA Grozovoi  with Sector reinforcement and DFAA active managed to shoot down a total of 4 planes before dying.

Third time is a charm? Not in the case. Tier 8 CV took half my health and his spotting took the other half.

I don't see DDs ever being viable as long as CVs can spot.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 6

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,816 battles

Yes DD are still unplayable if you rush the cap.

unknown (1).png

• Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,217 battles
16 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Decided to give Grozovoi another try since it is supposedly the best AA DD. I tried it out with a hybrid half AA build and was quickly deleted by a Midway with minimum planes shot down.

Spent a bunch of Captain XP to train a 10 point reserve captain up to make him a full AA captain. Full AA Grozovoi  with Sector reinforcement and DFAA active managed to shoot down a total of 4 planes before dying.

Third time is a charm? Not in the case. Tier 8 CV took half my health and his spotting took the other half.

By your own admissions you weren't running concealment and because you had a "full AA captain" you ran with AA on thinking you're going to go 1 on 1 against full squadrons.  I don't run AA builds on my DD captains.  I also utilize smoke and play off of my team considering the number 1 threat to DDs (besides themselves) are enemy ships.  Might as well go full gun boat and tell us how it's unplayable because radar spotted you when you rushed a cap w/ out support.  SOLO YOLO DD play has been dead for some time, and considering the DD relies on its consumables, your 10pt captain was considerably under spec missing both concealment and superintendent.   Many dual CV games and very rarely does a CV get me.  DDs are playable, just not in the way you used to play them under a different game. 

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

One game does not make the community average.

Neither your game @CaptainTeddybear or yours @AlcatrazNC matters. Would you have taken a different view if you did poorly AlcatrazNC?

What matters is the community average and how WG looks to balance the game. So many always looking at their game only.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,100 posts
14,317 battles
32 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

don't see DDs ever being viable as long as CVs can spot.

Liar.

Ignore list with you. Your agenda is quite clear. You sicken me.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Meh 4

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,816 battles
2 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Would you have taken a different view if you did poorly AlcatrazNC?

Instead of complaining I would have analysed my own gameplay and see where I screw up.

Yes we all know AA right now both effective and non effective. CV player are tired to spend tons of time avoiding flaks while stupidly strong continuous damage are melting their planes, while surface ship player are annoyed that a CV managed to strike them. 

I play both ship type:

-I play CV because I hate them and want to find counterplay option.

-I play DD because I like them and want to get better in it.

I know how hard it is for Hakuryu to take down an AA DD with rockets only, but I also know how annoying it is for a Shimakaze to get picked by Midway rocket or DB. Because I play CV, I know what to expect from other CV player, I know how to position myself and make myself not noticeable so I can more or less move freely. If the CV is going for me, who's solocapping A, it means the rest of my team should not have to fear CV strike and should seize this opportunity to do whatever the F they want and need to do.  But I can already hear these screams:

You said Hakuryu but what about Midway DB destroying DD ? - Then your issue is not CV in general but USN DB

But CV still provide a lot of spotting ! - Unless it's one of those special BB only games, if planes are at A cap, there's a lot of chance C cap is completly free, heck even B. Only those at A should bother with enemy planes.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
52 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Instead of complaining I would have analysed my own gameplay and see where I screw up.

Yes we all know AA right now both effective and non effective. CV player are tired to spend tons of time avoiding flaks while stupidly strong continuous damage are melting their planes, while surface ship player are annoyed that a CV managed to strike them. 

I play both ship type:

-I play CV because I hate them and want to find counterplay option.

-I play DD because I like them and want to get better in it.

I know how hard it is for Hakuryu to take down an AA DD with rockets only, but I also know how annoying it is for a Shimakaze to get picked by Midway rocket or DB. Because I play CV, I know what to expect from other CV player, I know how to position myself and make myself not noticeable so I can more or less move freely. If the CV is going for me, who's solocapping A, it means the rest of my team should not have to fear CV strike and should seize this opportunity to do whatever the F they want and need to do.  But I can already hear these screams:

You said Hakuryu but what about Midway DB destroying DD ? - Then your issue is not CV in general but USN DB

But CV still provide a lot of spotting ! - Unless it's one of those special BB only games, if planes are at A cap, there's a lot of chance C cap is completly free, heck even B. Only those at A should bother with enemy planes.

Yet it would have still been 'your' result(s) - and your results do not represent the community!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
6 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Yet it would have still been 'your' result(s) - and your results do not represent the community!

As a whole? No, but dismissing personal accounts out of hand just because they didn't happen to everybody is just as bad as saying something like "Alaska needs a buff because I only did 7k damage in it last game and it sucks!" It's still a data point. Should you hinge your entire argument on only one to a handful cherry-picked to support your claim? No. Should you dismiss an argument completely because it uses a reasonably "average" experience to sum up a large number of attempts and trials because otherwise we'd be here all week looking at replays? No.

Plus, I think Alcatraz's points wasn't "mine would have been different" but rather "I wouldn't have made a topic in the first place without at least reflecting on what I could do differently".

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

As a whole? No, but dismissing personal accounts out of hand just because they didn't happen to everybody is just as bad as saying something like "Alaska needs a buff because I only did 7k damage in it last game and it sucks!" It's still a data point. Should you hinge your entire argument on only one to a handful cherry-picked to support your claim? No. Should you dismiss an argument completely because it uses a reasonably "average" experience to sum up a large number of attempts and trials because otherwise we'd be here all week looking at replays? No.

Plus, I think Alcatraz's points wasn't "mine would have been different" but rather "I wouldn't have made a topic in the first place without at least reflecting on what I could do differently".

I have not dismissed a personal account. I have merely stated that a great game for someone in a particular ship can be matched by a bad one by someone else - and this point you make:

"because they didn't happen to everybody is just as bad as saying something like "Alaska needs a buff because I only did 7k damage in it last game and it sucks!"

Is exactly what I am stating - that is why the stats for the community is what matters. Thank you for supporting my point.

[LWA]
Beta Testers
76 posts
16,074 battles
1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Yes DD are still unplayable if you rush the cap.

unknown (1).png

This game was played February 22nd. Why did you go back 3 months to find a good battle?  

• Funny 1

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,816 battles
4 minutes ago, Grumpy_Chief said:

This game was played February 22nd. Why did you go back 3 months to find a good battle?  

Because outside of CB I didn't much played DD. I have ship to grind and unless I'm missing something, nothing has changed between before and today. 

Edit: Landsraad got it right

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
2 minutes ago, Grumpy_Chief said:

I don't think that's how the date is formatted... I think it's 10th of May (5) 2019, at 10:2X (22:2X).

Edit: Or I could be wrong, that happens a lot too.

[LWA]
Beta Testers
76 posts
16,074 battles

I have had some good battles in DD's as well, just not nearly as often as I used to. I find it is much easier to get a good high damage score using BB's.

Members
1,373 posts

19pt Captains in Gearing and Grozovi.

Full AA build except Manual AA

I stay with another ship. Change my partner during Battle.

Still bait Radar by going in and head out of caps.

still bait torps with first smoke screen. 

Use  P a lot. However do support other ships with AA usually after initial skirmish. 

Just having a complete blast. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,373 posts

Also. I do not play Tier 10 without a 19 point Captain.  I rarely fly any flags other than economic. Very rare for me to fly a flag. I concentrate my Tier 10 play to at most three ships but usually only two. 

[KWF]
Members
4,371 posts
6,405 battles

If it's a good CV driver you can have all the AA in the world, they will find a way. If it's a bad player you will slaughter them. 

This hasn't changed one bit compared to how it was pre rework.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,886 posts
9,949 battles

I quite enjoyed my 100K damage DD games last night but then again I also enjoyed my 9K damage CV game so what the heck do I know. 

FWIW - here's 5 days ago.  As usual, push flank, pressure, work as a team,  make the BB's dance, stay concealed etc. etc. etc.

1054300770_SnapCrab_WorldofWarships_2019-5-13_21-17-39_No-00.thumb.png.eb04a4f837f2dd3a4aa0e482f1df4d8b.png

405597639_SnapCrab_WorldofWarships_2019-5-13_21-18-25_No-00.thumb.png.ab784b9b2076b6f778076bb6f7c3e45e.png 

Edited by Anonymous50

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

I do dislike the power that HE bombs have on DDs. Two attack runs dealing in total 18k damage to me despite being close to my allies and maneuvering as much as I can just does for a frustrating gameplay. 

One Midway HE bomb strike and one Midway rocket strike on my Z-46, and the game was over for me. The Cleveland and Bismarck that I kept as close as possible were not enough to protect me from those strikes.

image0.png

The spotting part doesn't even nearly bother me as much. It's those nukes they drop on you, with the only reliable option being to play very passive and as close to a high-AA ship (assuming there is one) as possible.

[META_]
Members
1,230 posts
16,066 battles
40 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

19pt Captains in Gearing and Grozovi.

Full AA build except Manual AA

I stay with another ship. Change my partner during Battle.

Still bait Radar by going in and head out of caps.

still bait torps with first smoke screen. 

Use  P a lot. However do support other ships with AA usually after initial skirmish. 

Just having a complete blast. 

This is what you should be doing other person, meta has changed. I am pretty good in DDs and my winrate hasn't fallen. I play a lot of cvs and dds because I think they have a big impact on who wins the match. An added advantage is that I see the things that make each class challenging . All classes need to change their mindset, DDs need to stay ahead to spot torps,spot ships,cap, and lay cover smoke but they can't go adventuring 10-15 km ahead like the past and not think they wont be focused by the cv .Certain ships fit the meta better now, aa bow tanking BBs ( like Massachusetts,Alabama) can bow tank just outside of cap and will be supporting the dds so they have aa cover. Same goes for cruisers that can tank a little,cover your dds. The game has changed some but just consider what would make it harder on the cvs instead of always blaming Wargaming. Just think about it.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,717 battles
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Did you go around with AA on all the time?  If so that is your problem to start with.  A competent CV Driver will bait the DFAA and then wait for it to go on cooldown.

[MARE]
Members
76 posts
1 hour ago, Toxic_Potato said:

I stay with another ship.

Good for you Potato...IMO a DD that has to hang out with a BB for the whole match is not very useful.

9 minutes ago, oldschool1972 said:

The game has changed some but just consider what would make it harder on the cvs instead of always blaming Wargaming.

Some? I think it's changed a great deal, and not for the better. I blame WG because they created these problems...they didn't just appear out of nowhere.

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,378 posts
9,748 battles

I'm not even a good DD player, and my Jutland performance is quite good.  Is it a PITA and frustrating experience with CVs in the DD?  Most definitely yes.  Unplayable?  No.

Members
647 posts
72 battles
3 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Do as I did, just stop playing DDs all together. Been a DD main since CBT but in this meta its just not worth the aggrivation. Good of WG also to fool all players inte using hard earned cash to try build after build to try and get a working AA in any ship (while nerfing the ships strong sides at the same time). There should be free respeccs all the time right now since they arent even close to finish this experiment.

I just play some cruisers that can sit at long range and damage farm until WG fixes this clusterf**k.

• Cool 1