You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dawggunner

The Next Premium Italian Cruiser Should be Trieste. Change my Mind(w/TLDR)

5 comments in this topic

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

Italian_cruiser_Trieste_NH_86004.thumb.jpg.401a0ee5ea44a6da475bb91dc48808c6.jpg

Trieste in her early configuration: 8 x 203mm, 16 x 100mm, 8 x 40mm Vicker-Terni "pom pom" gun, 13.2mm machine guns, 8 x 533mm torpedoes

Trieste is, in brilliant Italian tradition, built in response to French cruisers. And like other Italian designs this counterpoint is quite potent. In keeping with other early inter-war Italian cruisers she was based around speed and armament rather than protection, allowing her to dictate the engagement and making her a dangerous gunfighter at range. She was the first of the two-ship Trento-class completed; 1 year before her sister. Unlike other RM ships the class was named for cities rather than historical figures. She was rebuilt in the late 1930s with stronger AA capabilities at the sacrifice of two 100mm turrets. And with a catapult and spotter plane amid ships she's really just a up-gunned version of a Condottieri class cruiser.

So let me break down armament and armor for her early configuration: armed with four pairs of superfiring 203mm guns similar to D'aosta's layout which only seems logical given a similar, but not identical, layout and armor scheme. The 203mm guns her class shared were the first of a new generation of Italian 8" naval guns, but being the case they had their share of issues. The two major drawbacks for these guns was a very low RoF at 3rpm(maybe make it 13-15s reload?) and poor dispersion due to narrow gun cradle design. These guns were designed to be used at standoff ranges so probably ~15km range before the Spotter Plane goes up. They also redesigned the 203mm shells at one point to try to help dispersion at the cost of velocity but it didn't really work so lets keep the 905m/s AP shells(instead of 850m/s), and 840m/s SAP shells. She did sport a number of 100mm gun barrels in eight twin turrets, something i particularly look forward to considering they-re dual purpose. They are essentially the same kind used on the other Italian cruisers so while they aren't magnificent they are better than nothing. On top of those she had some early Pom-Poms in four dual mounts(edit: other sources say they are single mounts), and four pairs of 13.2mm machine guns. She had a slightly different torpedo layout from the cruisers we have so far with four pairs of launchers, instead of two triple launchers. These are going to be downright evil IF they have even the normal 70s reload time. that's the potential to drop two torps every ~18 seconds if you're rotating. Triestes' protection scheme is really quite similar to D'aosta with an armor belt 70mm at the thickest, the armored deck and bulkheads reached 50mm, but she had thinly armored bow and stern.

Let's talk about the other major design parameter, speed and maneuverability, before we get to consumables. At 36kts she's just a quick as her sisters and faster than most rivals. She might be a heavy cruiser but she'll have nimble steering based on Italian sea-keeping. It really is the main flavor of the Italian tech tree, and one i thoroughly enjoy. I think her loadout will be similar to Abruzzi with Hydro, DFC/Spotter Plane, and a heal IF it's at T7. OR D'Aosta loadout with Hydro, DFC, and Spotter Plane at T6. 

TLDR: Condottieri with 203mm guns. Thats it folks. Armor and AA like D'aosta, secondary guns and like Abruzzi , two twin torp launchers per side, and typical Italian maneuverability and concealment. Tier 6 or 7, with consumables matched to tier.

Italian_cruiser_Trieste_NH_86003.thumb.jpg.3550e2c06de97211fd43211baf55fe71.jpgTrieste before her refitting

Edited by dawggunner
  • Cool 4

[INTEL]
Members
7,198 posts
30,189 battles

Trieste was nice but why not Pola or Zara, another set of heavy cruiser sisters?

Note: Zara was sunk by RN DD Jervis, which is in game.

[COOLI]
Members
78 posts
6,986 battles

Well he're my thinking: if we ever get an Italian cruiser line in the game it's gonna be CLs from T4-T7 at least, and then the CAs from 8-10. This is a rough idea, but kinda like alot of cruiser lines in the game already: they get upgunned as you go down the line. So based on that i don't want to cherry pick "mainline deisgns" for a premium. Hence, why i chose the earliest form of this ship, in a fairly basic loadout, so her superior sisters can fill out the tech tree with hull, gun systems and torpedo research traits. Also, i don't mind how Italian premium cruisers are regarded as "underdogs" because i like the challenge/play style. So i'll compromise with this ship for gold/coal and zaras and polas and bolzanoes somewhere in the tree.

Counterpoint: Make Bolzano a premium as she was a one-off that sat between the Trentos  and Zaras. I can totally get behind this idea too. Bolzano  is just a trento class with the new 203mm model, better machinery, and slightly shorter hull. but the rest of the stats are really the same. she had no extra armor, or armament, merely a slightly reconfiguration. Seeing as she is a unique ships there's a great reason to make her a premium. But with these new guns she almost definitely gets bumped to T7 given the RoF is significantly improved, given the old guns allowed 3 rpm, and this model allowed for 4rpm(thats a significant improvement historically). 

NOTE: these designs really sit better at T7 unless we're gonna nerf the hell outta the guns to get it to T6, cuz as i look at this thing again its a Mid tier monster, IN THE RIGHT HANDS. At T6 you'd need to handicap the reload to compensate for having such a torpedo loadout i suspect. But please keep giving me feedback and ideas and we can perfect this!

EDIT: as for why this particular sister of the two ship class: i am sensitive to loss of life, historically. between the two ships  Trieste was sunk in port with relatively light loss of life compared to Trento. now that being said obviously we have ships like Hood and Bismarck and others that suffered massive crew casualties. i think its great that we have these games that honor the ships, ans the crews, but given a choice between 2 ships of the same class i'll take the one that was "spared" the worst fate. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Edited by dawggunner