You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ShadowSteel18

Torpedo Spamming is Still a Problem

51 comments in this topic

Members
27 posts
259 battles

So I've noticed a trend when fighting other players during Random Battle.  No matter what ship they are up against everyone just seems to spam the torpedoes which is can be problematic for someone like myself who is only recently learning how to play.  During my last battle there were at least 20 torpedoes heading for my Battleship.  Now keep in mind that no matter what all it takes is two or three Torpedoes to sink a tier 4 Battleship.  So when you see 20 of them heading at you you start to wonder about the kind of people are in the community.  And what is even more frustrating is that the way damages is dealt by the Torpedoes is very similar to how they actually work.  In fact a single torpedo from the USS Johnston (which was a Fletcher Class Destroyer) managed to sheer off the bow of the Japanese Imperial Navy Kumano (A Mogami Class Heavy Cruiser).  As you can probably tell by now I am more of a tactician when it comes to games like this, so to be destroyed by another player who was simply just spamming their torpedoes at you.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 8
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 2

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,825 battles

I can tell this isn't going to be fun

1648396870_Prinzpopcorn.jpg.587b5c736cd5e2d3ff320a874cb49e5f.jpg

Spoiler

Low tier ship cannot stealth torps. Only IJN DD can do that... but I think you would need CE for that and there aren't many new player here with CE at low tier. But all other DD have to ambush BB to actually torps them. If you see the DD, there's a high chance he's also spotted / in line of sight.

• Boring 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,646 posts
34,918 battles

A few things to learn

• The WASD hack. WASD is your friend
  • Don't sail predictably
  • Change speed often
  • Don't be near choke points where you can be ambushed
  • Don't be isolated (this goes for AA too)
  • Ask for help from your DDs and cruisers - It is their job to clear the area for you as it is your job to tank for them
  • Play DDs yourself (all nations) so you learn how they work, what they can do and how flimsy and vulnerable to being blapped they are
  • Shoot at the DDs. Even AP and an overpen can take a good chunk of their HP which unlike you, they can't repair
Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[B_Y_F]
Members
524 posts
13,324 battles

Welcome to the game.

Your situation is a common mistake that nearly everyone had made while new to the game. 

If you don't know how to counter your opponent, the best way is to try them yourself.

Your problem comes from the fact that, except British vassal, every warships in this game with torpedo launcher must fire the whole set of torpedoes at once. That's why either you don't see any torpedoes or you see a lot. 

If you're in a BB, be advised to avoid sailing in a strict line with constant speed, please try to change heading and speed every 30s. Also pay attention to the mini-map to see where the red DD was spotted will help. Last, if you are spotted but can't see anyone in return, you can assume torpedoes already targeting you, use your WASD key immediately. 

• Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
57 minutes ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

So I've noticed a trend when fighting other players during Random Battle.  No matter what ship they are up against everyone just seems to spam the torpedoes which is can be problematic for someone like myself who is only recently learning how to play.  During my last battle there were at least 20 torpedoes heading for my Battleship.  Now keep in mind that no matter what all it takes is two or three Torpedoes to sink a tier 4 Battleship.  So when you see 20 of them heading at you you start to wonder about the kind of people are in the community.  And what is even more frustrating is that the way damages is dealt by the Torpedoes is very similar to how they actually work.  In fact a single torpedo from the USS Johnston (which was a Fletcher Class Destroyer) managed to sheer off the bow of the Japanese Imperial Navy Kumano (A Mogami Class Heavy Cruiser).  As you can probably tell by now I am more of a tactician when it comes to games like this, so to be destroyed by another player who was simply just spamming their torpedoes at you.

With a 10% or less hit rate - if you have them you spam them and pray they are going to fall in that 10%. There is judgement and skill involved with estimating the route a ship may take because of the map or other factors - but with the number of mechanics that can spot the torps, WG have basically made them a fire, forget and hope weapon.

And then - if it hits hope that it is not on a ship that reduces the damage by 50% with a torpedo belt.

And then hope you get a flood to do the real damage and maybe get good xp/credits at end game in this damage heavy meta.

But then remember they nerfed the flood lol. :Smile_teethhappy: 

When there is no balance the usual mantra is adapt. @sapient007 gives some good advice. :Smile_honoring:

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,148 posts
18,994 battles

Dodge torpedoes proactively, not reactively. Always assume torpedoes are on the way, and vary your course and speed often.

Now, a few things about torpedoes:

• They are the slowest weapons in the game
  • They can only drive in a straight line
  • If they are launched from invisibility - IE outside the launching destroyer's concealment radius - they take a long time to get to you
  • They are launched at where the launching destroyer player thinks you will be in a minute's time when they finally get to your position

Conclusion: Don't be where the launching destroyer player thinks you will be in a minute from when he launches them.

So, if you change your course often and vary your speed, you'll be unpredictable, and the vast majority of torpedoes will pass you by harmlessly. How often to vary your course and speed? My own rule of thumb when driving something big is to never drive in a straight and predictable line for more than, say, 20 seconds or so.

Conversely, try them out for yourself, see how torpedo boats work. The best way to learn how to counter a weapon is to be experienced in its use, so you know its strengths and weaknesses.

• Cool 5

Members
27 posts
259 battles

Now in all seriousness I am a new player to the game so I'm still learning.  I'm also not faulting people for spamming the Torpedoes.  Nor am I faulting the developers of the game.  Torpedoes are very powerful in real life and much like in the game they are exactly as _Waverider_ said, basically a sort of Fire, forget, and pray type weapon.  So I understand why people spam them.  Now granted it does seem to me like they are being spammed, but at the same time I AM IN A BATTLESHIP :Smile_teethhappy:

There is no doubt in my mind that because I'm using such a large ship that I AM the main target for the destroyer force.

Perhaps it is my mind playing tricks on me, or maybe it's something else.  Either way I still have a long way to go to earn my stars.

• Cool 4

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,825 battles
14 minutes ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

Now in all seriousness I am a new player to the game so I'm still learning.  I'm also not faulting people for spamming the Torpedoes.  Nor am I faulting the developers of the game.  Torpedoes are very powerful in real life and much like in the game they are exactly as _Waverider_ said, basically a sort of Fire, forget, and pray type weapon.  So I understand why people spam them.  Now granted it does seem to me like they are being spammed, but at the same time I AM IN A BATTLESHIP :Smile_teethhappy:

There is no doubt in my mind that because I'm using such a large ship that I AM the main target for the destroyer force.

Perhaps it is my mind playing tricks on me, or maybe it's something else.  Either way I still have a long way to go to earn my stars.

I suggest you try them, at some point. At least it will gives you an idea about how to dodge them. I mean, when you see a broadside destroyer you can be sure he's torping you anyway so...

• Cool 1

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles
2 hours ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

1. Yea, the Japanese were spamming torpedoes at the USS Washington and USS South Dakota Nov 14 1942 , I so don't think this is nothing new  or unrealistic.

You get hit by a torpedo you are being predictable and also not predicting somebody is shooting at you.

1 . if you are spotted and can't see anything odds are somebody is shooting torps at you already or about too. Or if torpedoes show up , they(the bad guys) are shooting at somebody else spotted or a typical lane of advance , which you probably are in .

2. The Hentai avatar and the notion of "torp spamming" lends me to believe you are not some new cute little well -endowed trolling Hentai Character. Plus the other wording "20 torpedoes" "the community" and so on and so forth again further support this .  The only question is why , boredom , seeking intel, spying, nothing better to do at 5am ? IDK

Edited by Strachwitz666
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

Members
27 posts
259 battles
2 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I suggest you try them, at some point. At least it will gives you an idea about how to dodge them. I mean, when you see a broadside destroyer you can be sure he's torping you anyway so...

I mean you raise a good point.  After all a destroyer isn't going to any damage to a battleship with their small guns.  However there are also some Cruisers that also carry torpedoes and they can do some damage to Battleships with their guns, it's all a matter of hit placement.   If a cruiser aims their guns and manages to hit the deck of the ship through Plunging Fire or aim their guns at the conning tower they can actually manage to do some damage.

Members
27 posts
259 battles
2 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

2. The Hentai avatar and the notion of "torp spamming" lends me to believe you are not some new cute little well -endowed trolling Hentai Character. Plus the other wording "20 torpedoes" "the community" and so on and so forth again further support this .  The only question is why , boredom , seeking intel, spying, nothing better to do at 5am ? IDK

To be fair Henrietta de Tristain is from the series Zero no Tsukaima (or Familiar of Zero) and yes I am a very new player.  I only started playing just a week ago, so I'm just still trying to learn.

On a side note I also have Autism and grew up watching shows like Dogfights and Battle 360.  Heck my favorite games when I was I was a kid were mainly RTS and Simulator games.

Members
6,621 posts
20,650 battles
2 hours ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

Make sure you have last known position marked off on your mini map. It really helps you to determine where and how many dd's could be torping you. Also, slow down and speed up a lot., Turn for no reason, then turn back, If you are spotted you are probably being torped. Once you start to see torps fly by you that you had as another said "proactively" turned away from or slowed to avoid without ever seeing them... it becomes much easier to make them miss. Use the data on your screen to help drive your bote.

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,825 battles
9 minutes ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

I mean you raise a good point.  After all a destroyer isn't going to any damage to a battleship with their small guns.  However there are also some Cruisers that also carry torpedoes and they can do some damage to Battleships with their guns, it's all a matter of hit placement.   If a cruiser aims their guns and manages to hit the deck of the ship through Plunging Fire or aim their guns at the conning tower they can actually manage to do some damage.

With the exception of IJN cruiser that have torps installed at the stern, most ship have their torps installed in the middle section of the ship. If you see a non US gives broadside you can be sure he's trying to torps you.

[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,155 battles
12 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Just a quick correction here, but while Zero no Tsukaima is a series featuring "generous" portrayals of women, it doesn't feature explicit content though sometimes I wish it would have.

To OP: You're consistently being targeted by torpedo throwers because you are consistently being an easy target for them. The best thing to do is to drive one yourself and see how they pick and strike their prey, so in the future you can use that knowledge to protect your juicy hull.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,660 posts
18,555 battles

tier 4 BB???

you're a tactician??

Maybe play a torp  DD to gain the Intel needed to gain awareness needed to not get hit. 

Take my advice, use the tactical adv of hugging your cruiser teammate. I can assure you, as long as you hug your cruiser teammate... NO Torps would/should be even close to hitting you (torp rang is only 7km at tier 4).

BTW

A tier 4 BB at full HP PLUS heal,  in today's game patch, will take AT LEAST 5 torps to sink... That is thanks to the

• torp DMG nerfs
  • Torps hit to flood ratio nerf
  • Flood DMG nerf 

All from 0.8.0.1 to present game patch.

The old saying that says "if you want to sink a ship to the bottom, you have to make holes below the water line"

My question to the OP is,

• You dont like to die from Torps...
  • You dont like to die from HE spam

Then what do you guys (BB especially) want to die from in a naval combat shooter game ???

I dont get it.... Really, I just dont get it. 

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Meh 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
35 minutes ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

To be fair Henrietta de Tristain is from the series Zero no Tsukaima (or Familiar of Zero) and yes I am a very new player.  I only started playing just a week ago, so I'm just still trying to learn.

On a side note I also have Autism and grew up watching shows like Dogfights and Battle 360.  Heck my favorite games when I was I was a kid were mainly RTS and Simulator games.

Welcome to the game:Smile_honoring:

33 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Make sure you have last known position marked off on your mini map. It really helps you to determine where and how many dd's could be torping you. Also, slow down and speed up a lot., Turn for no reason, then turn back, If you are spotted you are probably being torped. Once you start to see torps fly by you that you had as another said "proactively" turned away from or slowed to avoid without ever seeing them... it becomes much easier to make them miss. Use the data on your screen to help drive your bote.

Sweetsie has great info ^^^^

Once you get in to battle there's  settings above the Mini map, click on last known enemy position it's huge the info it gives you

Also increase Mini map size with the plus and minus button,  The Mini map is your friend you will know where the enemy is you can plan accordingly for were the torps will come from

Map awareness is your friend it will help you be proactive, it takes some time to get down well.

And as others have said give them ago, you will then know what they're strong and weaknesses are and you can use that against them

And practice practice practice good luck out there

Edited by silverdahc

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

@ShadowSteel18 All we long time players suffered through this and you too can get through it. It use to be worse. The IJN Kitikama could put 40 long range torpedoes in the water at once, run away and do the same for the entire battle time.

BBs have longer gunnery ranges. Use that to your advantage.

Members
27 posts
259 battles
8 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Just a quick correction here, but while Zero no Tsukaima is a series featuring "generous" portrayals of women, it doesn't feature explicit content though sometimes I wish it would have.

To OP: You're consistently being targeted by torpedo throwers because you are consistently being an easy target for them. The best thing to do is to drive one yourself and see how they pick and strike their prey, so in the future you can use that knowledge to protect your juicy hull.

It's nice to know that someone else does know about the series 

and yes a battleship in general is a pretty easy target.

9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Maybe play a torp  DD to gain the Intel needed to gain awareness needed to not get hit. 

Take my advice, use the tactical adv of hugging your cruiser teammate. I can assure you, as long as you hug your cruiser teammate... NO Torps would/should be even close to hitting you (torp rang is only 7km at tier 4).

Funnily enough I have been trying out the destroyers and managed to get a couple of hits during my last game.  Heck I even caused some flooding.

The main issues though comes from the fact that unless you are in a group who you know will have your back, trying to make a coordinated effort  (Which is what one should do during a sea battle) is nearly impossible.  I'm very hesitant to team up with people I don't know very well.

plus I want to save up to make my own clan and I'm not sure if I can be a part of more than one.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,042 posts
13,308 battles
3 hours ago, sapient007 said:

except British vassal...

“Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses...Help!!! I’m bein’ repressed!!!! Come, see the violence inherent in the system!!!!”

Couldnt’ resist.

• Funny 1

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles
1 hour ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

plus I want to save up to make my own clan and I'm not sure if I can be a part of more than one.

Nope. One clan per customer.

Edited by Grflrgl
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

Torpedo spamming is part of the game. The USS Johnston fired ten torpedoes in the Battle off Samar. I do believe that qualifies as spamming.

Members
27 posts
259 battles
Just now, kgh52 said:

Torpedo spamming is part of the game. The USS Johnston fired ten torpedoes in the Battle off Samar. I do believe that qualifies as spamming.

Now to be fair they had to time each one just right and lead the target accordingly, what I'm talking about is just shooting from the hip and praying that they make a hit.  Though I do see why some people would see that as spamming.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles
5 hours ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

Have you considered 'tactician' that it's not the other players, but it's you and your tactics being wrong? You got outplayed by better and more experienced players.

I can tell you right now that if you really are seeing 20 torpedoes heading towards you at once, that's not people randomly spamming torpedoes. That is a calculated strike by multiple DDs, who have likely identified you as the clueless, straight lining, newcomer BB you are. With less than 100 battles you are still learning, and experienced players at low tier will be able to smell that you are an easy kill. Killing the weak link would be called 'tactics' yes?

My advice is to start watching videos and streams by WoWs CCs. Some of my recommendations are Flamu, Notser, Stuntman, Flambass. Watch how they play, and listen to them explain why they do X or Y. WoWs may be easy to pick up and play. But to be anything more than cannon fodder one needs to research and understand game mechanics, which your post reveals that you lack.

Try playing DDs and other classes as well sometime, and you will discover why most of the playerbase are actually bad at DDs, and that it's not merely a matter of spamming torpedoes. You may also learn some tricks in how to keep your BB safer.

• Cool 1

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles
4 hours ago, ShadowSteel18 said:

Ok, so let me give you the view from the opposite side of the torpedo. 

By way of disclosure, I'm a DD main and have had all of the T10 DDs except the Soviets and PADDs. (they just don't interest me)

You've played DDs a bit. That grey area is called a firing solution. 

When I select a target, I'll watch the firing solution for a few seconds to see if the target is one that will wiggle a lot or run in a straight line. Are you turning. Are you adjusting your speed. Any attributes to your play that I can see in 10 or 20 seconds of watching you is what informs my shot. If you're not turning, changing speed, wiggling at least a bit, then I'll drop everything I have on the firing solution and you will be obliterated.

If you're turning but not running in a zigzag pattern, then I will adjust my shot to where I think you'll end up when you're done turning and accelerating after the turn is complete. This behavior can also result in explosions along the side of your ship, though perhaps not enough to sink you in a single shot.

If you're randomly zigzagging, then my job becomes quite difficult. It's very hard - though certainly not impossible - to torpedo somebody that's randomly zigzagging. 

I've wiped out G. Kurfursts and Montanas with single shots from Shimakaze or Yugumo. Each took 6 hits from 24k torpedos, and in a pattern that didn't allow for damage saturation to kick it (I've also hit a Fletcher once with six torps from a Jutland, only to have him shrug it off because of damage saturation). How was I able to take out these full health BBs? They failed to evade. Not only did they fail to evade, but they just plain made it easy by running straight and steady.

Also, keep in mind that from my point of view, there are naturally high percentage shots and naturally low percentage shots. If I'm on your beam (or broadside to you) and running along side you unseen, then that's a high percentage shot. If I'm on your bow, then that's a low percentage shot. If I'm behind you, that's not only a low percentage shot but also a trailing shot, and that's the least likely to land the way I want. If you combine the high percentage abeam shot with zigzagging, then my chances drop significantly.

And I assure you, I will make it as difficult for you as possible to predict what I'm predicting. But then, that's my job. And to be honest, at the tiers you're playing right now, you haven't even really seen torp spamming yet. Wait till you see the approaching Shima Wall of Skill. My clan played a couple of all Shima games just for fun. Now THAT was torp spamming.