You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xxjtportxx

How to play cruisers

18 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
184 battles

Hey guys, your favorite new person here

Ive checked the online wiki and found it a bit useless, I want to hear from the community how they play their cruisers.

Mainly how you play Russian and French cruisers!!

Let me know below!

Surfs up dood!

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

I don’t play Russian and French Cruisers but I heard French are long range kiters kind of like early German which I am grinding now. For the French, don’t rush too much! You would die...

I also heard Russians are HE spammers.

(I am a newb too)

Members
130 posts
16,534 battles

Youtube is an amazing tool to help with this.. Many good players out there that play both those lines and you will learn far better that way.

Members
130 posts
16,534 battles
1 minute ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I also heard Russians are HE spammers

Russian cruisers have some pretty good AP.. Does not hurt to switch to it when ships are showing broadside(other cruisers and bbs)

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
Just now, BirdForce said:

Russian cruisers have some pretty good AP.. Does not hurt to switch to it when ships are showing broadside(other cruisers and bbs)

Agree. Germans have good AP but I sometimes switch.

Members
130 posts
16,534 battles
Just now, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Agree. Germans have good AP but I sometimes switch.

That they do.. but russian guns can get those sneaky cits on broadside bbs.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
1 hour ago, xxjtportxx said:

Hey guys, your favorite new person here

Ive checked the online wiki and found it a bit useless, I want to hear from the community how they play their cruisers.

Mainly how you play Russian and French cruisers!!

Let me know below!

Surfs up dood!

For everything but american, its pretty much the same. You kite away from BBs at max range and spam HE. Sure there are different thing you can do, but your mainstay is just doing this. Wiki what other special things your ship does, and load IFHE if your guns are 155ish mm or less.

I also want to add, with a lot of cruisers getting citadeled doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong. In something like a Chapayev or Shchors its just an eventuality if the enemy is competent. Try to use islands, don't go broadside to a BB not near max range unless you can't help it, shoot DDs first (getting good at hitting DDs at range is a higher level cruiser skill that you will need to eventually get better at). You provide consistent damage, not burst, and you don't want to get shot at almost ever. That's not your job, so if your team is forcing you to do it that's on them.

Edited by Sou1forge

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
30 minutes ago, BirdForce said:

Youtube is an amazing tool to help with this.. Many good players out there that play both those lines and you will learn far better that way.

I also watched YouTube and got much better.

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles

Generally there's two ways to play. Island hugging and long range support.

The idea for long range support is to use either A.) distance and speed to avoid enemy shells [French and Russian cruisers tend to be good at this] or B.) distance and agility or ability to turn (Normally done with USN CAs, Japanese and German cruisers. German cruisers may have to do this more than island hugging due to their gun placement being better suited for kiting and have shallower gun arcs.) 

For Island hugging naturally the idea is to shoot at the enemy while being safe from return fire. US cruisers have the easiest time doing this because they shoot the highest out of the nations. Other cruisers can do this too but risk being shot at due to them having to sit further back to clear the same island. 

RN cruisers do a slightly different version of this where they can park beside the island and smoke up around the edge so all their guns and torpedo tubes can be utilized. Then retreat behind the island if needed for safety or to turn around and relocate. 

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
54 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

For everything but american, its pretty much the same.

And UK... open water kiting in Minotaur is just begging to eat a citadel.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
Just now, WuYixiang said:

And UK... open water kiting in Minotaur is just begging to eat a citadel.

But are RN cruisers really cruisers? Is the Kaba a DD?

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles
7 minutes ago, Sou1forge said:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[INR]
Members
1,225 posts
4,060 battles
1 hour ago, Sou1forge said:

Is the Harugumo?

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,253 battles

The engine boost in French cruisers can help a lot in getting out of situations but don't rely on it too much. Save it when you really need to get out of something.

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles

Most RU cruisers require IFHE to be effective. 

Use cover, make sure you have an exit strategy ready before you open fire, meaning that you can get behind cover before you can be fired upon. Watch for your target (BB) to fire his guns at someone else, that gives you at least two free shots at him before he can fire at you.... then run hide and angle.

Playing cruiser well is learning to become a great cheap shot artist. Hit and run, Hide and hit.....all game long.

• Cool 1

Members
283 posts
4,809 battles
25 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Playing cruiser well is learning to become a great cheap shot artist.

So true......and speaking of RN, big fun when you find the right rock to snuggle up to in a Fiji. Just slow-pitch into the red blob  till you get bored......or till you get gored because you forgot to turn on your hydro-scope.

Edited by ColdwaterCowboy_1

[BANG]
Members
166 posts
5,449 battles

Russian cruisers have great shell ballistics and many ships in the line are light cruisers (152mm). You want to mostly keep your distance and spam your HE. Get IFHE on captain right around when you get to tier 7.

Avoid showing broadside at all cost, the ships have very long citadels high above water. They also take forever to turn. If you need to turn, do it when the enemy is still far, or use an island for cover.

When you get radar at t8, don't start yoloing close to caps at the start of the match, or you'll get nuked.

I think the gameplay changes somewhat on the Moskva, that thing actually has armor and has decent AP, I heard, but I'm not there yet, still only have the Donskoi.

As for the French, I only have T6 now so I'm not an expert, but I think you wanna save that reload booster for special occasions, like dd spotted nearby or cruiser showing broadside

Edited by HMSTog