You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
goldeagle1123

How is the new Shokaku?

13 comments in this topic

[C4C]
Members
5,267 posts
3,186 battles

Tired of the sky cancer so I've caved and will pick one up. How is the new Shokaku? Recommended builds for her? Don't really know a ton about the CV meta since the rework, haven't touched them since.

[C4C]
Members
5,267 posts
3,186 battles
Just now, I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam said:

Google or go to the WoWs wiki page or YouTube.  

I have and there aren't a ton, and the ones I did find were from when the rework first launched, several months ago. From what I understand there have been several balancing changes since, hence my using the forum for what it's for.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
10,656 posts

I would practice with Ryujo before moving to T8 if you don't have experience with the new CVs.

[LEGIT]
Members
976 posts
7,548 battles

She can be described as the worst T8 CV.. atleast IMO

Edited by Nagato_Kai__Ni

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,226 posts
10,899 battles

I suggest getting some practice in the lower tiers first.

[DJL]
Members
40 posts
4,078 battles

She has ok rockets   she attacks 2 torps at a time for very good damage for a CV torp and uses AP bombs that can give you some very good damage if aimed at the right targets.  My specs are everything for the aircraft. For more hp I added to the ap bombers cause they have no heal. Unlike torp bombers.

Her drawbacks are her aircraft are glass cannons good damage but low hp. A tip if you make an attack run and most of your aircraft yellow send them back if green go for round 2. She can be a very good girl but needs time to get use to any CV best of luck to you and good luck.

P.s to know who to go after with AP bombs look it up. Like German ships so on your not going to crack something like a GK t10 tho.

[HINON]
Members
1,570 posts
16,158 battles

Shokaku is not a terrible CV, but is out-shown by the competition at the tier. 

Kaga is better in my opinion, as is Implacable. I have not played the other T8 CV's, thus cannot offer an opinion of them against Shokaku. 

[NUWES]
Members
2,127 posts
6,731 battles

Honestly, Shokaku is let down by her bombers. Each wave only drops 2 big bombs so there is a huge amount of RNG involved. Add to that the RNG inherent in AP bombs themselves and they are unreliable as hell. They hit hard IF you can get them to hit and citadel. They also tend to overpen cruisers. Honestly, Enterprise is much better with her 6 smaller AP bombs.

Shokaku's rockets are ok and her TBs are pretty nice. She isn't a bad ship, but she is the hardest T8 CV to play because of the huge RNG of her DBs. The good news is she is better than Ryujo which has all the same problems but even less firepower. 

[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,599 posts
6,582 battles

From what I've been told with the divmates who do run CV, its most likely the weakest of all T8 CVs atm. 

[BNZAI]
Members
384 posts
4,507 battles
4 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Honestly, Shokaku is let down by her bombers. Each wave only drops 2 big bombs so there is a huge amount of RNG involved. Add to that the RNG inherent in AP bombs themselves and they are unreliable as hell. They hit hard IF you can get them to hit and citadel. They also tend to overpen cruisers. Honestly, Enterprise is much better with her 6 smaller AP bombs.

Shokaku's rockets are ok and her TBs are pretty nice. She isn't a bad ship, but she is the hardest T8 CV to play because of the huge RNG of her DBs. The good news is she is better than Ryujo which has all the same problems but even less firepower. 

She gets 3 bombs per run with upgraded planes, not that it matters much. The pen is much lower than the ones on Haku and they are still very inaccurate.

Members
159 posts
9,861 battles

I played Shokaku when the rework first hit, and it was a miserable experience. Lexington was the better T8 tech tree CV at the time. It's planes turn to mush really really quickly. I haven't played it recently since I sold it to refund the free Halloween camo I got, but I should be soon once I finish grinding Ryujo to tell you what it would be like now. 

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
8 hours ago, goldeagle1123 said:

Tired of the sky cancer so I've caved and will pick one up. How is the new Shokaku? Recommended builds for her? Don't really know a ton about the CV meta since the rework, haven't touched them since.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=10,12,15,16,24,25,32&ship=AirCarrier

Focus on your Torpedoes survivability, use DBs to punish island campers and lone BBs/Cruisers, rockets are hard to hit on DDs but net average damage, rockets on cruiser though...DEADLY.

You'll have a harder time against T10 due to paper planes but citadel damage will help out more than Lex's HE against those high tiered ships, avoid french/british BBs since they're hard to citadel and usually have good AA, German stuffs are your bread and butter since they're large and both BB and Cruisers are easy to citadel.

Your focus should be:

Cruiser > BB > DD > CV

German > IJN > Russian BIAS > USN > RN > French

Target DDs if they're isolated or endangering your teammates.