You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

How do you play japanese destroyers?

55 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I finally sold japanese destroyers from Tier VI because I was unable to make them work so I think they are not for me. I find them too much difficult to play, especially Shiratsuyu, too many torps but none of them usually impact because even battleships avoid them easily.

But I still keep destroyers from Tier II to Tier V and Tier VI Fubuki because I rather prefer to play with them, except when I am against Tier VII, VIII. When I played Shiratsuyu I found CV really difficult to handle and I can't do nothing. With the japanese destroyers I still have, I can't explain but I feel I am able to do far better, CVs are not as good and not many times focused on destroyers (mainly Tier IV CVs, sometimes Tier VI  CVs). In Tiers II-V I don't usually find cruisers with radar, but still I want to play them better.

I know that the destroyer should cap and spot but sometimes I feel I can't cap because nobody in the team is willing to help me. How can I improve my games on low tier japanese destroyers?

Alpha Tester
6,439 posts
3,249 battles

Aside from the gunboats, IJN DDs are meant to be very stealthy. Keep your AA off at all times and spam torpedoes at BBs who don't know how to use their A and D keys. If a CV gets too close, smoke up and wait for them to get bored and find a new target. If that's not an option, run like the dickens for your nearest cruiser with good AA while maneuvering wildly to throw off their attack runs. You'd be surprised just how effective a last minute juke can be at making rockets and bombs miss.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,031 posts
35,935 battles

Its pointless in the current meta above T6. No fun at all. I have stopped playing mine.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 3

[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,245 battles

Get a time machine and go back to any time between 2015 and 2018 

OR

hang with the fleet and play like a light cruiser with torps

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts

The IJN torpedo boats have lots of limitations due to power creep such as radar, hydroacustics, and those flying machines. Torpedoes are spotted from afar and many ships can maneuver  to avoid them. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

The torpedo boat line really comes into it's own with the t8 Kagero. Just make sure to drop smoke for torpedo reload booster. 16 torp walls and the best stealth in your MMing bracket solve a lot of problems. If you are getting focused down by the CV you screwed up, try keeping near your AA ships during  the start of the game and make sure to keep your AA off.  Don't be afraid to use your guns when the opportunity to finish a target arises, you might not be a gun boat but your guns have solid alpha and are great for kiting. 

• Cool 3

[KNCOL]
Members
784 posts
1,717 battles
48 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Its pointless in the current meta above T6. No fun at all. I have stopped playing mine.

I play the t7 shiratsuyu and i have a blast playing it 

• Cool 1

[BABS]
Members
52 posts
3,461 battles
29 minutes ago, mrkimba said:

The IJN torpedo boats have lots of limitations due to power creep such as radar, hydroacustics, and those flying machines. Torpedoes are spotted from afar and many ships can maneuver  to avoid them. 

Indeed, but there's also a psychological part to it. If you can convince the BB that you're targeting that you've moved elsewhere, are targeting someone else, or are out of torpedoes, then you can make him an easy target. I like the Akizuki for this, many times I send torps at a ship, watch it dodge, then hit the reload booster and pop him with a second volley.

It's also fun to drop smoke, leave and torp my own smoke. Always a nice surprise for anyone looking to charge me. In my opinion, DDs are a mind game, IJN more so than most.

• Cool 3

[RBMK]
Members
1,140 posts
6,578 battles

I run a f3 shima build with legendary.

I also build for guns. Not AFT, because i need disengagement sometimes when smoke is down. 

I use its concealment to dive close enough to take advantage of the torp speed. But, note i dont expect to hit decent players with torps. 

Shima has great agility and speed to dodge Cv

USN cruisers past 9km are usually no threat if youre dodging correctly. 

No promises against : German,IJN,Russian Cruisers.

Note: British cruisers are easily angled against for minimal damage. 

Dont listen to these guys about blobbing up. Use friendly AA when needed but you need to spot and make high risk plays for high risk rewards. Finding that balance is where the IJN concealment DD line shines.

C2jbQUo.png

but @Destroyer_KuroshioKai has a ton of videos up in the DD section. Hes one of the top DD players

Edited by DFAA_DDs_Only
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,914 posts
26,889 battles

Low to mid tier is terrible bacause of a 95% chance of ending a a CV (or worse a two CV) game. 

On the plus side, the number of radar cruisers is still low.

Use stealth. CE and RDF are good skills if you go for the torpedo boat line.

RDF gives you a chance to

a) get a idea if some other DD sneaks up to you and

b) launch torpedos into smoke from the red team. About half of the DD ingame sit broadside in smoke.

The better line are the gun boats (but I see some nerfs coming).

CE and IFHE are the key skills. The best ship is rather T9 (like in the RN DD line)  then T10. The Kitakaze is more mobile and a bit stealthier.

[RBMK]
Members
1,140 posts
6,578 battles
8 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Low to mid tier is terrible bacause of a 95% chance of ending a a CV (or worse a two CV) game. 

On the plus side, the number of radar cruisers is still low.

Use stealth. CE and RDF are good skills if you go for the torpedo boat line.

RDF gives you a chance to

a) get a idea if some other DD sneaks up to you and

b) launch torpedos into smoke from the red team. About half of the DD ingame sit broadside in smoke.

The better line are the gun boats (but I see some nerfs coming).

CE and IFHE are the key skills. The best ship is rather T9 (like in the RN DD line)  then T10. The Kitakaze is more mobile and a bit stealthier.

I disagree with RPF outside of CW or ranked.

You should know what the enemy DD is going to do through minimap last knowns, and generally how dds should play in both CV and Regular games. Also, if the enemy DD your RPFing is any good, he wont eat one of your blind torps because hes expecting you to torp him and is already ready to dodge them. 

Those 4 points are much more useful elsewhere personally (randoms only) 

You can also usually win a gunfight against some DDs kiting and landing 2k vollies on them. Even low HP groz/haragumos/gearings you can win, just pick your battles against the high DPM dds. 

Edited by DFAA_DDs_Only

[M_S]
Members
415 posts
4,324 battles
33 minutes ago, DFAA_DDs_Only said:

You can also usually win a gunfight against some DDs kiting and landing 2k vollies on them. Even low HP groz/haragumos/gearings you can win, just pick your battles against the high DPM dds. 

To add, there's one way of partially neutralizing a US DD's advantage against you: stay at longer ranges. You have the better shell arcs in a straight-out gunfight, and so the US DD's shells are way more dodgeable. Anything more than 6 km would be decent.

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,407 posts
13,429 battles
4 hours ago, Avrova1904 said:

I finally sold japanese destroyers from Tier VI because I was unable to make them work so I think they are not for me. I find them too much difficult to play, especially Shiratsuyu, too many torps but none of them usually impact because even battleships avoid them easily.

But I still keep destroyers from Tier II to Tier V and Tier VI Fubuki because I rather prefer to play with them, except when I am against Tier VII, VIII. When I played Shiratsuyu I found CV really difficult to handle and I can't do nothing. With the japanese destroyers I still have, I can't explain but I feel I am able to do far better, CVs are not as good and not many times focused on destroyers (mainly Tier IV CVs, sometimes Tier VI  CVs). In Tiers II-V I don't usually find cruisers with radar, but still I want to play them better.

I know that the destroyer should cap and spot but sometimes I feel I can't cap because nobody in the team is willing to help me. How can I improve my games on low tier japanese destroyers?

PM me a replay.  I will send you a private coaching video telling you what you have got right, whats wrong and what you can do better.

Theres also a few videos here that might help you.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
1,232 posts
10,302 battles
3 hours ago, DFAA_DDs_Only said:

I run a f3 shima build with legendary.

Bold. 

That's almost like an f3 Yugumo with TRB.

Members
949 posts
4,357 battles

Use smoke I guess at lower levels for CV plane immunity. 

At higher levels with the TRB instead of smoke , hang back near AA ships until there are openings (planes elsewhere) to advance and attack. 

Note I only play Kagero nowadays,  " Yugomo and Shima both were simply too expensive" Yugo may have better guns and Shima longer torps, but the Kag Monster is Japanese stealth/torp boat supreme, just have to hide from aircraft by staying in/near AA umbrellas a lot, no jumping out and grabbing caps besides RADAR ships being thick most of the time as well. 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
415 posts
On 5/15/2019 at 6:21 PM, Koogus said:

Fun but its so damn slow.  I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, Avrova1904 said:

I like to use them to scout but not over commit. By capping you let others know where you are, let the other team show themselves first so you can make educated decisions, fighting your way out is a last resort. I like to skirt caps, duck in when needed but stay close so that I do my job but stay our of harms way as much as possible.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 7:21 PM, Koogus said:

Same with Akatsuki for me.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

I like to use them to scout but not over commit. 

I agree. I find that by spotting early, you basically set your team against the other, so when you do try to cap, the enemy's guns aren't pre-aimed in your direction, and some of them won't switch targets to fire at you if they're already engaged.

Having said that, I usually will try a fast cap, (sometimes nobody is there) but will bail at the first sign of trouble.

Members
636 posts
72 battles
On 5/16/2019 at 12:01 AM, Avrova1904 said:

I would love to try but this line is pretty much dead in the current meta, also the most powercrept line in the game. Only solution is to loose insanity to grind to Akizuki and then to Harugumo. That DD is a beast but the way there will kill all joy.

I would love for you to ask WG how you should play this line in current meta.

[KNCOL]
Members
784 posts
1,717 battles
1 hour ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Fun but its so damn slow.  I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

That's my only real issue with this ship the rest I love and I can live with useless AA.(I rarely use the TRB having smoke means I can play a bit more aggressively)

Also never understood the hate with the shiratsuyus main guns. While it does not have as many pros compared akatsuki, they still can be effective 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
415 posts
Just now, Koogus said:

That's my only real issue with this ship the rest I love and I can live with useless AA.(I rarely use the TRB having smoke means I can play a bit more aggressively)

Also never understood the hate with the shiratsuyus main guns. While it does not have as many pros compared akatsuki, they still can be effective 

I dumped the smoke.  It’s so short it’s not worth it IMHO.  Any gunboat is going to chase you down.  But ya mini shima was a fun boat but that speed or lack I should say was an issue all the time.  The new French DD is so fast it can damn near outrun torps.