Sign in to follow this  
TL_Warlord_Roff

Bad boys bad boys. What you going to do when they come for you?

11 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,547 posts
13,177 battles

So yea if ya haven'tn't heard about all the stuff going around about monetization practices, microtransactions and lootbox stuff in computer games you gotta be likely dead and in the grave..

If your reading this your alive... umm sorry!

Anyway.  I don't particularly have any issues with WG and World of warships way of doing things other then well, prices can be a bit steep sometimes and yes frankly I would like to know the drop odds especially seeing as the opportunity to spend real cash is in the loop to directly buy the games various loot/reward boxes.  Of course it wouldn't matter if the means of purchasing were indirect.  If money from pocket leads to a loot box however indirectly, yes please tell me the odds.   That may end up a requirement in the near future for all gaming companies though it could be a couple years yet in the USA but it will happen.  I don't honestly think it'll be that long before we have law to empower regulatory efforts but there will be a grace period of some sort before any laws go into effect as the federal government decides if existing agencys and organs of the federal system will get the regulatory and enforcement job or if it's left to individual states to do their own local regulatory efforts to suit the needs of their local population.    Oh wouldn't that be a joyous chaotic mess!    Good job Activion, EA, Take2, Ubisoft Vivendi, etc..  you greedy spuds.  Really.  Like you couldn't have seen this coming right.   I call 'em fools because only a fool invites trouble.

I know WG and Warships devs are all ready looking at what they can do to be in compliance with whats to come, but I am curious if there is anything that you can share at this time with us your mostly more or less intensely loyal customers?    Gambling addiction is a real thing and far to many publishers have ignored potential consequences in the name of making hellacious profits.   Reminds me of the cocaine market in the 80's and early 90's.  Lure of easy money.  The long term effects on societies are well known and well documented, and marketing spin and dodging responsibility.. well to me at least, not good nuff.

Wargame how ever is an unusual case mostly because of what WG does with the extra money.  All those video's to raise historical awareness.  All those acquisitions of historical artifacts and equipment donated to museums world wide, along with needed funding and promotional efforts for the same.   NO other publisher studio etc I know of does things like this.  The only other publisher/studio I know of that even close  is Ubisoft who is kicking in both cash and time and information over Notre Dame Cathedral which was modeled heavily in  Assassins Creed Unity I believe it was.  The data they have provided will go a long way toward rebuilding the structure.   

Now, its not entirely selfless, because it does promote the product quite nicely I might add though in Ubisofts case.. that's a fairly close to the heart thing.  It's personal for them.

And I thing it's also fairly obviously personal to the developers at the various wargame net studio's.  So I do recognize that we have a special and unique (or nearly so) situation here, but that's not going to make a lot if any difference once regulatory statutes go into effect as far as government is concerned. 

Bad boys bad boys. What you going to do when they come for you?

I am concerned.

Warlord sends  

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
975 posts
1,871 battles

The US Government is looking into a law to ban loot boxes and P2W features(whether they have the power to do so is up for debate but I personally think they don't). This is the only thing I think WG may have to worry about.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,440 posts
11,429 battles

I don't have any issues with WG business practice...

... though I do fund my premium ship purchases by my sideline selling crack outside the local school gates, I've found free samples are particularly effective.

[LEGIT]
Members
1,589 posts
23,934 battles

Waah, Waah!  Self entitled snowflake wants the government to stop him from exercising his freedom of choice.  What a maroon.

• Bad 2

[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,029 posts
14,602 battles
25 minutes ago, mofton said:

I don't have any issues with WG business practice...

... though I do fund my premium ship purchases by my sideline selling crack outside the local school gates, I've found free samples are particularly effective.

HBO gives free month trials. Seems legit.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,007 posts
14,725 battles
38 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Waah, Waah!  Self entitled snowflake wants the government to stop him from exercising his freedom of choice.  What a maroon.

What's a "maroon"?

[H_]
Members
1,700 posts
2 hours ago, skull_122_steel said:

The US Government is looking into a law to ban loot boxes and P2W features(whether they have the power to do so is up for debate but I personally think they don't). This is the only thing I think WG may have to worry about.

Of course they have the power !!  Ah, this isn't a NATO/SEATO country that owns the pieces of this game..... A foreign entity no matter how it diversifies.  Trade sanctions are product and services....  Comply with what the houses pass or, you are banned from the US market....  It's that simple.  Getting the Bill passed is another story.... In fact, if the Executive branch says:  "Embargo them; they are embargoed"; or, "Add tariffs" and they add tariffs..... ; or, "no more" and they will not be allowed server access in the US.... 

Here's a good sample:  https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2018/07/governments-kaspersky-ban-takes-effect/149758/

Would this happen?  Who the heck knows........but, know this, it's serious now after games have cause fatal SWAT'ings and insurance companies are seeing Game Addiction Disorders showing up to be paid.....!!!  Millions of dollars in therapy....  And, they have the clout.

And, "everyone" wants a piece of the micro-transaction market and THAT INCLUDES governments........!!  This isn't just about "Timmy" playing too much and failing at school.........  It's about the tens of millions of dollar Micro-transaction's bring in each and everyday.....  I can't wait to read the bill !!!!

Edited by Asym_KS

Members
41 posts
2,508 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

While I don't co-sign the tone, I tend to agree with the content of this comment.

I see people throw away their money on all kinds of things that to me seem frivolous (e.g. the "excitement" of opening a pixel lootbox.)  But I would infinitely prefer this over a society which resorts to threats of violence to prevent these types of transactions, in the name of engineering someone's idea of an optimal society.

[HEROS]
Members
1,547 posts
13,177 battles
23 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

What's a "maroon"?

who framed roger rabbit moment.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,007 posts
14,725 battles
43 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

who framed roger rabbit moment.

2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Just makes me feel sad for the human race :(

Or, should I just shoot the rabbit and make stew?

Edited by Commander_367

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this