You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BarneyStyle

Elite Captian Retraining? Why?

20 comments in this topic

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,202 battles

After grinding through multiple USN lines and finally getting a few Elite 19pt Captains I'm stuck on the "Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often" campaign.  I'm running the Gearing and I'm okay with the ship, but I haven't been able to get this one task and it's been months.  "Win the game, be the leader, get 12 fires or floodings", and you can only use a DD or CV (Which I don't have).  So I figure, why not drop my 19pt captain down to the Fletcher and see what I can do with that ship.  I figure there wouldn't be any retraining costs involved because, he's and "Elite" Captain, right? Nope, knocks him down, now I have to grind this captain with no skills out 175K XP.

Really WG? Why? Are you that tight with money? Sorry for the rant, but this seems a bit ridiculous.  A captain in the same line whos already reached 19pts and you have to retrain him? This doesn't make any sense to me.  5 game losing streak and I shut the game off

P.S. I’m an idiot

Edited by USMC8sux
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
17,750 battles

Hey, brother. There is no need to beat your head against that wall.

You can repeat missions as many times as you want, getting the stars for them each time and completing the overall task without ever needing to play a DD.

If you knew that and are just the sort who wants to complete everything, I understand. But if you were, like many, unaware that you can repeat missions, I hope this news brightens your day.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

Kinda like ships, Elite just means that any XP gained is stored and can be used on other captains. You are confusing elite with premium ships that allow captains to be freely moved with no penalty.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,135 posts
5,005 battles
5 minutes ago, USMC8sux said:

So I figure, why not drop my 19pt captain down to the Fletcher and see what I can do with that ship.  I figure there wouldn't be any retraining costs involved because, he's and "Elite" Captain, right? Nope, knocks him down, now I have to grind this captain with no skills out 175K XP.

Its not ideal, but it should have been fairly obvious. Didn't the retraining screen ring a few bells? It prompts you if you want to retrain 50%, 75% for credits, or 100% for doubloons. Remember you can use elite capt xp to boost retraining as well.

And like Amracil said, you can redo missions for stars, just not rewards. It is a lifesaver that really isnt mentioned very clearly in game unless you fish for it. 

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,361 battles
12 minutes ago, USMC8sux said:

After grinding through multiple USN lines and finally getting a few Elite 19pt Captains I'm stuck on the "Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often" campaign.  I'm running the Gearing and I'm okay with the ship, but I haven't been about to get this one task and it's been months.  "Win the game, be the leader, get 12 fires or floodings", and you can only use a DD or CV (Which I don't have).  So I figure, why not drop my 19pt captain down to the Fletcher and see what I can do with that ship.  I figure there wouldn't be any retraining costs involved because, he's and "Elite" Captain, right? Nope, knocks him down, now I have to grind this captain with no skills out 175K XP.

Really WG? Why? Are you that tight with money? Sorry for the rant, but this seems a bit ridiculous.  A captain in the same line whos already reached 19pts and you have to retrain him? This doesn't make any sense to me.  5 game losing streak and I shut the game off, hopefully for good.

When you look at the captain screen there is a number at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. That number represents the current amount of “elite” captain xp you have storred.

when you move a captain to another tech tree ship there is a certain amount of captain xp to earn to “retrain” him. You can utilize elite captain xp for this. When you move the captain, or later click the “accelerate retraining” button. Click on the 200,000 credit option to reduce the amount in half. Next clip the + button next to the captain xp bar just beneath the captains portrait to boost the xp and you will be given the option to utilize your captain xp to complete retraining. Done, no doubloon cost, no grinding him in a premium.

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,202 battles

I just assumed once they reached Elite status you could move them within the line.  Without even looking I swapped him over.  Stupid me for assuming.

And NO, I did not know you could repeat tasks... holy god that makes me feel better.  

• Cool 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,441 battles

Elite just means that he earns captain points that can be used to accelerate training of other captains. It does not make him a premium captain. If you had transferred him to a US premium DD no retraining would be needed.

[GRAVE]
Members
321 posts
19,215 battles
26 minutes ago, USMC8sux said:

After grinding through multiple USN lines and finally getting a few Elite 19pt Captains I'm stuck on the "Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often" campaign.  I'm running the Gearing and I'm okay with the ship, but I haven't been about to get this one task and it's been months.  "Win the game, be the leader, get 12 fires or floodings", and you can only use a DD or CV (Which I don't have).  So I figure, why not drop my 19pt captain down to the Fletcher and see what I can do with that ship.  I figure there wouldn't be any retraining costs involved because, he's and "Elite" Captain, right? Nope, knocks him down, now I have to grind this captain with no skills out 175K XP.

Really WG? Why? Are you that tight with money? Sorry for the rant, but this seems a bit ridiculous.  A captain in the same line whos already reached 19pts and you have to retrain him? This doesn't make any sense to me.  5 game losing streak and I shut the game off, hopefully for good.

Firstly, you do not need to complete that specific mission if it's that difficult. You can repeat missions for stars. 
But if you completed all the campaigns and want to complete all the missions, you can just select the mission and forget about it as you'll eventually get it and the reward isn't that great anyways.

There are retraining costs and there always were for as long as I know the game, I don't know how this is anything new. Retraining costs apply when you're moving the commander that has been designated to one silver ship and your moving that to another silver ship. Let's say you have the black, there would be no retraining costs because Black is a premium ship. Commanders elite or not will have to pay a retraining penalty of a certain amount, the more skill points you have the more you have to pay. You can use 200k credits to cut the retraining in half or use 500 doubloons to entirely skip retraining. I usually use 200k credits. WG never claimed nor have they intended elite commanders to be invincible to retraining. I remember when you'd reach the top at 19 points, you'd stop there. WG introduced the ability to earn "elite" commander exp when back then you couldn't. WG isn't doing anything crazy as much as I like to criticize WG.

Right now I recommend you to repeat easy missions for stars if you didn't complete the campaign.
If want to do the retraining, I'd recommend using 200k credits to cut the retraining in half, then use elite commander exp, or put that captain in a premium ship and grind the exp that way, because not having captain skills at this high tier is pretty brutal. Good luck.

[STURM]
Members
708 posts
5,744 battles
36 minutes ago, USMC8sux said:

Even if you don't have a premium ship to use to retrain him (because even during retraining, skills work at 100% on premiums all the time), if you've had that 19 pointer for a while, you should have lots of elite commander EXP floating around. You can pump that into the captain to get him fully trained on the Fletcher immediately.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

Premium Captains......hmmm.  That would actually be pretty nice.  Instead of moving a captain to a premium ship at no cost, you can move a nation's premium captain to any ship at no cost.

They really should, at least, make it so that a nation captain is trained for a specific line, and not a ship.  IE move a US DD captain to another US DD, no retaining. Move to a US Cruiser, retrain).  But yea, never happen.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
3 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Premium Captains......hmmm.  That would actually be pretty nice.  Instead of moving a captain to a premium ship at no cost, you can move a nation's premium captain to any ship at no cost.

They really should, at least, make it so that a nation captain is trained for a specific line, and not a ship.  IE move a US DD captain to another US DD, no retaining. Move to a US Cruiser, retrain).  But yea, never happen.

It will never happen because you'll only need a handful of captains. No more spending on barrack space, no more doubloons for retraining high-level captains. I'm not sure how WG could even price such a useful mechanic.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

Having elite captains is nice.  The accumulated elite captain XP is great for retraining so you can swap captains or change skills when needed without having to grind out the games without the skills, or having to pay doubloons.  And the best thing is that the elite XP can be used on any captain, not just the 19 point ones.

Members
3,072 posts
15,906 battles

You could move your captain to another ship with full retraining and it should cost you no more than 25k elite captain points + 200k credits. This is how: When you move it choose to partly retrain for 200k credits option. Next click the + icon next to the captain at the top right to complete the training. If you have unused Elite captain skills available it should give you an option to complete it for around $25k. I've used this method when moving captains to new ships. 25k elite skill points isn't much to give up. If you can live with the 200k credits then going back and forth shouldn't be an issue.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

You could move your captain to another ship with full retraining and it should cost you no more than 25k elite captain points + 200k credits. This is how: When you move it choose to partly retrain for 200k credits option. Next click the + icon next to the captain at the top right to complete the training. If you have unused Elite captain skills available it should give you an option to complete it for around $25k. I've used this method when moving captains to new ships. 25k elite skill points isn't much to give up. If you can live with the 200k credits then going back and forth shouldn't be an issue.

As he said, always, ALWAYS use the 200k option ;)  Credits are far easier to come buy than anything else.

Members
3,072 posts
15,906 battles
1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

As he said, always, ALWAYS use the 200k option ;)  Credits are far easier to come buy than anything else.

In lower tiers (5-7), transferring the captain cost as little as 12k  elite captain points + 200k. Most players don't know they can do this. 

[WOLFG]
Members
29,024 posts
8,268 battles
2 hours ago, USMC8sux said:

And NO, I did not know you could repeat tasks... holy god that makes me feel better.  

Lol I hear ya, I just keep repeating anything that requires XP, credit gain, or total damage.

And retraining isn't that bad. If you use a T10, and pimp it out for commander XP gain, you can do 175k in 5 matches or so.

Edited by Skpstr

Beta Testers
83 posts
21,333 battles

Feel for you as I made the same mistake with my first 19 point captain. This was after being told it would be fine as my clan leader told me that he did this all the time, however what I didn't know at the time, he only played premium ships!

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,202 battles
51 minutes ago, ripello said:

Feel for you as I made the same mistake with my first 19 point captain. This was after being told it would be fine as my clan leader told me that he did this all the time, however what I didn't know at the time, he only played premium ships!

Stupid mistake, I tend to jump into things without reading the fine print 🤣.

1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Lol I hear ya, I just keep repeating anything that requires XP, credit gain, or total damage.

And retraining isn't that bad. If you use a T10, and pimp it out for commander XP gain, you can do 175k in 5 matches or so.

Yeah, I just wanted the SC’s but I don’t want to waste the flags on a ship I already have.  Made my peace with it now, just grinding it out and learning from it.  

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,917 posts
26,905 battles

The problem for newer player is:  they need a premium ship or gold to retrain a captain fast. 

If you have multiple 19 point captains, all the captain XP you earn is transfered into elite XP. And you can use those to retrain him.

The more you play, the less you need gold. I'm sitting actual at unspend 4.5mio elite XP.

And yes, you can redo the same mission again and again. It will count to "mission done" but you can earn the reward only once.