You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review #123: Lazo

52 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
14,218 posts
14,445 battles

Welcome back.

Even if short term.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[SVF]
Members
2,037 posts
2,477 battles
15 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

In Closing

For those unaware, I'm not feeling very well.  I got seriously ill at the end of April and I'm still recovering, albeit slowly.  This has really put a damper on the time I'm able to sit at a computer, to say nothing of my output of work and reviews.

I wish I could say this review heralds the end of my content drought.  This review was nearly completed when my health failed me back in late April and it's only now limping across the finish line as I'm only able to put a couple of hours of work in at a time before needing rest.  I'm aware of the backlog of ships to review currently including Montepelier, Yukikaze, Lenin and Neutrashimy.  I might try and do something a little less involved for the two Azur Lane crossover ships but I think Lenin deserves a closer look given all of the differences Soviet Battleships bring to the table to say nothing of Neutrashimy  I do not have an ETA on either of these.

Furthermore, even if I wasn't feeling miserable, the next part of my CV rework review (Dive Bombers) would similarly have to be put on hold with the changes proposed by Wargaming with patch 0.8.4 and beyond.  I need to see what survives the upcoming overhaul before committing myself to work that will simply be made obsolete within weeks of it being published.  I'm personally hoping for things to change somewhat dramatically over the next patch or two even if that necessitates a lot more work on my part to keep up with the differences.

This is a long winded way of me saying 'thank you'.  Thank you for your continued support.  Thank you for your patience.  Thank you for all of your well wishes.  I will try and have a little something up for you all before the end of May and hopefully I will return to more regular content production over the coming weeks.

I wish you a speedy recovery, LWM.  Glad to hear you're still with us.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
597 posts
27,736 battles

Here is wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, LWM. 

I always enjoy reading your reviews even if I don't think I'll ever be getting the ship being reviewed.  This review has me wondering why I'm grinding so hard in the Victory contest to get Lazo.  But having a premium Russian ship will be a good thing for training captains.  Thank you for the info!

Edited by Joe_918145
typo

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,049 posts
26,115 battles

Get well first LWM, then worry about the reviews. They are always welcome and appreciated but you need to be able to do them!

I'm a "free Lazoer" and glad to get her (in about a week).

[NGA]
Members
2,061 posts
13,226 battles

I didn't really have plans for the Lazo and I'm glad to see that won't be changing. Still, as always, your reviews are a great way of either confirming my thoughts, demonstrating some flaws in my assumptions, or convincing me to give a ship a try. Hope you feel better soon.

[-N-]
Members
2,284 posts
15,854 battles

Get well soon.  Just get back to being healthy, way more important!!!

Edited by GrimmeReaper
  • Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,200 posts

I seriously wish you well and hope you feel better soon ... you can't mess around with your health.  Thanks, as always, for your review!

Members
202 posts
365 battles
1 minute ago, DocWalker said:

I seriously wish you well and hope you feel better soon ... you can't mess around with your health.  Thanks, as always, for your review!

^This.  Your content is always appreciated.  

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
15,375 battles

Lert and LWM in an actual WoWS match.  Welcome back LWM ! :)

catmouse.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Defense

Hit Points:  36,300
Min Bow & Deck Armour: 16mm
Maximum Citadel Protection:  100mm citadel belt or 16mm bow + 120mm transverse bulkhead.
Torpedo Damage Reduction: None.  You're DOOMED.

Lazo is chalk-full of squish.  Her protection scheme isn't unusual -- it conforms to the standards one should expect from a Soviet cruiser, namely:

• Long, exposed citadel sitting slightly over the water line.
  • Citadel belt abuts against the hull and is thin enough to be penetrated by HE shells from some German and British battleships.
  • Zero anti-torpedo protection.
  • Thin deck and extremities, highly vulnerable to small caliber HE shells and overmatch from battleship-caliber AP shells.

On top of these vulnerabilities, you can regularly expect her to suffer module damage to some degree or another.  I stress this is normal for Soviet cruisers and not unusual for a ship of her type.  Her guns will get damaged, her rudder knocked out, her engines put offline, her torpedoes destroyed.  Being shot at is never comfortable in this ship and counting on her protection scheme to keep her safe is foolish.

Lazo's best defense is to open up the range, playing into that strength and relying on her healthy slug of hit points to help mitigate being one-shot by lucky volleys.

Armour-1024x542.jpg
You've probably heard that Lazo is better protected than Shchors and this is true -- as a Chapayev-class, she has enough protection to give light cruisers pause. However, the difference between Lazo and Shchors isn't anything to get excited over, nor is the difference sufficient to make Lazo's protection "good". The Chapayev-class has 25mm more belt armour than Shchors but her belt armour never truly gets thick enough to keep out heavy cruiser AP shells, to say nothing of battleship caliber. The citadel of the Chapayev-class also sits slightly lower in the water, but only slightly. The best thing about her, really, is the bigger slug of hit points.

Evaluation: jr7vbn9.png
What it would have needed to be OzA23Hz.png:
  She's not too far away here, already having a very large hit point pool.  Just adding a Repair Party would probably put her up as a contender, giving her one of the largest effective hit point pools at her tier.  Otherwise she needs to be up-armoured to allow her to autobounce some larger-caliber AP shells, even if it's only in some small areas.

Agility

Top Speed: 33.5knots
Port Turning Radius: 890m
Rudder Shift Time: 9.7s
4/4 Engine Speed Rotation Rate: 4.6º/s

Lazo has some problems here.  She handles more like a fast battleship rather than a light cruiser, with an appalling turning radius, a sluggish rate of turn and an uninspiring rudder shift time.  While this is generally the norm for Soviet cruisers, she doesn't have their long legs to compensate.  Her top speed of 33.5 knots is downright pedestrian (Shchors can manage 35.5!).  This is in keeping with the Chapayev-class as a whole, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Oh well.  No prizes here.

Given Lazo's fragility and inability to lob shells over islands, her lack of wiggle-tude is especially concerning.  The only solution is to open up the range to give her more time to dodge.  As boring as an improved Spotter Aircraft consumable is, it pays for itself here, allowing Lazo to extend her reach and give her even more time to swing her butt around to foil enemy fire.  Seriously, use and abuse her range to give her the best chance of survival.  She doesn't have the raw stats to pull it off otherwise.

Evaluation: iTQteVr.png
What it would have needed to be jr7vbn9.png
More speed.  Speed cures a lot of ills.

Thank you for the thorough review.

These two elements, combined, are why I don't care for the Russian cruiser branch in general.  The combination of afterthought armor and bad agility makes them so vulnerable compared to the cruisers I like, which tend to be both tougher and more agile than this. 

Definitely a hard pass. 

• Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,505 posts
15,182 battles

As others have said, thanks for your efforts here and with everything else.  Hoping you'll be feeling well enough to make it to the HMCS Haida event in August.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
6,146 posts
10,175 battles

It's good to see you again, Mouse. Best wishes for your health and complete recovery. Thank you for taking the time to get this review up.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,053 posts
22,482 battles

Nothing here is more important than your health, LWM. Thanks for all the information you provide, and for the time and effort that goes into formatting it in a way that is understandable and entertaining.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
688 posts
12,409 battles

Hope that you feel better!

Another great review and I must say, your graphic design work is awesome.