You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Best destroyer hunters in Tiers II-IV?

58 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I am interested to know which are the best ships dealing with destroyers in low tiers from II to IV (where CVs are not a big deal). I am thinking about destroyers able to get involved in close combats against other destroyers or cruisers. Please, suggest options.

Members
396 posts
13,683 battles

If you're really interested in seal clubbing' DDs, a Clemson with radio location and concealment will be devastating.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,612 posts
8,595 battles

If you are talking non-DDs, the Karlruhe and the Phoenix at tier 4.

The both get hydro and have fast reload times.

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles
6 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

I am interested to know which are the best ships dealing with destroyers in low tiers from II to IV (where CVs are not a big deal). I am thinking about destroyers able to get involved in close combats against other destroyers or cruisers. Please, suggest options.

almost any cruiser, the problem is that playing cruiser at that and most tiers can be an instant deletion from  a BB.

At lower tiers I guess The Emile Bertin would be a very good choice, very fast and has hydro.

[KWF]
Members
4,376 posts
6,405 battles

Clemson aside, Shenyang is an excellent generalist ship. Izyaslav is also a pretty good, if underappreciated tier IV DD. Also heard good things about Wakeful, though haven't player her.

[INTEL]
Members
3,057 posts
16,814 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

If you are talking non-DDs, the Karlruhe and the Phoenix at tier 4.

The both get hydro and have fast reload times.

Phoenix is really good.  It's fast, maneuverable and has very good guns.

I had forgotten, but a fun option at T2 is Tachibana

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles
17 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Clemson.

When in doubt, Clemson.  Always Clemson.

11 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Clemson aside, Shenyang is an excellent generalist ship. Izyaslav is also a pretty good, if underappreciated tier IV DD. Also heard good things about Wakeful, though haven't player her.

Izyaslav is actually a pretty fun DD choice at T4.  She gets badly overshadowed by Clemson in most circles, but still holds her own pretty well.

7 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

Phoenix is really good.  It's fast, maneuverable and has very good guns.

I had forgotten, but a fun option at T2 is Tachibana

Tachibana can be fun, especially if you drop down your 19pt Akizuki/Kitakaze/Haragumo commander equipped with full stealth and IFHE on those guns.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,924 battles

Top three are:

1. Clemson

2. Clemson

3. Clemson

A mention to Izyaslav which is good too.

Edited by alexf24

Members
438 posts
202 battles
23 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

At low tier DD is the best for countering other DD's. Lower tiers are really the most balanced.

Members
438 posts
202 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

When in doubt, Clemson.  Always Clemson.

Izyaslav is actually a pretty fun DD choice at T4.  She gets badly overshadowed by Clemson in most circles, but still holds her own pretty well.

Tachibana can be fun, especially if you drop down your 19pt Akizuki/Kitakaze/Haragumo commander equipped with full stealth and IFHE on those guns.

I'm not even a little ashamed I have 1,250 battles in Izyaslav.

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
63 posts
15,252 battles

Arkansas beta the DD comes to you in your secondary range

[SYN]
Members
15,861 posts
12,803 battles

In T3, G-101 or Vampire

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

In T3, G-101 or Vampire

What, no Wickes?  It's like Clemson-lite.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,058 posts
8,308 battles
16 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Clemson aside, Shenyang is an excellent generalist ship. 

I like it a lot too, just the slow ROF and DWT aren't well suited for knife fighting.

[KWF]
Members
4,376 posts
6,405 battles
1 minute ago, TheURLconspiracy said:

Arkansas beta the DD comes to you in your secondary range

I guess you have seen it, but a recent Reddit thread found out Ark Beta secondaries share the same dispersion as Graf Spee's main battery. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,584 posts
15,711 battles
31 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Clemson

[INTEL]
Members
1,774 posts
15,706 battles
7 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

I'm not even a little ashamed I have 1,250 battles in Izyaslav.

Izy is a lil monster in the hands of someone who knows how to play her. Clemson is easier but Izy's the better clubber, imo.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,751 battles
21 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

not that I'm adding anything new here but ..  I agree, Clemson and Izy..

Cruisers all do fairly well, Japanese lines work pretty good at low tiers.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles
46 minutes ago, Avrova1904 said:

Hey Avrova1904,

As other players have mentioned the Clemson is known to be a pretty good ship at lower tiers. You got good guns, a lot of torpedoes and decent speed. DDs at those tiers tend to have low HP so any ship that you can fire a lot of shells down range can cause them issues. One ship I haven't seen mentioned and maybe because it does not have as much utility is the good ole St. Louis. This is ship upgraded has so many guns to use and the reload time on them is not bad. 

RN BBs at that tier are also great because of the HE that those ships have. To be honest what it comes down to is you as the commander dissecting the situation and knowing how to counter other DDs. This is something that you will learn over time. You will see a lot of suggestions to ships but you have to comfortable in the ships that you like. 

[BLEP]
[BLEP]
Members
1,986 posts
14,870 battles
1 hour ago, Avrova1904 said:

As the others have suggested, Clemson is an excellent choice. As far as other destroyers go, your best bet would be V-170 as she has good torpedoes and a rapid firing main battery.

I would suggest Tenryu, Kuma, Friant, and Duguay-Trouin as far as cruisers go as they are fast, have strong armaments, and are comparatively maneuverable.