You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WhiteTulip

When you see a DD push, what do you do?

38 comments in this topic

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

In the current meta, it seems the answer is: COWER

TLDR: If you see a DD able to push up – far up – especially in the current meta, you have a choice: Do you push with him or not? I assure you, I won’t continue a major push if there’s a solid chance of my dying, especially if I’m going to get sunk for nothing.  But if you see a DD pushing and begging you to follow, maybe you should do just that – follow. DD drivers - don't cower yourselves. One of the games below had a Yugumo hiding with the BBs most of the game. And CV drivers - pay attention when someone asks you to scout something. We DD drivers and you CV drivers are currently sharing the spotting job, so there are times when we'll ask for help with this particular task.

This happened twice just last night.

General situation – 1 CV per team.  I’m in Kagero with a T10 game. I spawn on the far west side. Enemy CV is initially focused on the east, friendly CV is initially focused on the center. My whole path is open. I’m running RPF, so I have at least an idea of where danger lies.

Specific example – Warrior’s Path, headed toward A cap. Two Alaska’s and two BBs behind me.  The Alaska’s radar covered all of A. I ran free, and based on RPF it was pretty clear that there was only one DD in A. I pinged the map with my RPF references. My four allied ships move up, get behind an island, and freeze. The enemy DD was a Chung Mu. We had a 5:1 advantage in ships. I spotted him twice and he eventually gunned me down. Not one radar ping from my friendly ships. Not one shot was sent the Chung Mu’s way. When the enemy realized that my allies were cowering, he charged me.  We never took A. After that, we never even attempted to take A. The four friendly ships, for fear of a single DD, turned and fled to the east. We didn’t take a single zone that game, but A was ours for the taking and we could probably have rolled B once we got A.

The same thing started happening on Land of Fire the very next game, but my allies found their intestinal fortitude and pushed, after I’d proven that there was only two ships on that flank. But this time, it was my team doing the rolling. Yes, they cowered for a bit, but once they realized that the situation they pushed with a vengeance.

And CV drivers, take special note – when you see a DD pushing, and that same DD is begging you to search a particular area – DO IT! I begged our CV to search the 4 line on Land of Fire as it was the only area I couldn’t see, but he never did anything on my side of the map. So I had to eventually double back and check myself before my allies would push. That eventually lost me half of my health, but it did get my allied ships moving. It would have taken the CV 45 seconds to check those two map boxes, and then he could easily have gone back to throwing his planes into the sea in front of the enemy ships (a craft for which he seemed to have a particular talent).

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,357 posts
14,156 battles

Depends on the push. 

If it's a yolo push or far away from an objective, the DD won't get support.  If it's pushing/reinforcing a flank or wisely heading to a capture point (without overextending), I'll support.

• Cool 2

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,653 battles

I can completely sympathize with you Mr OP.  There are few things in this game as frustrating as having overwhelming advantages in ships and firepower only to watch people tuck tail and run or simply hide behind islands being useless.

If you dont support your teams destroyers, and your team looses, its your fault. 

That said, if your teams destroyers are showing all the gaming skills of a dead tortoise, they are on their own.  Im looking at you Mr Shimakaze on the J line firing torps through your own teammates while being outside of range of the enemy.  

[TARK]
Members
6,634 posts
2,525 battles

I wish friendly DDs would communicate like you to their CV.

I'm very happy to scout for my ships. Im not focused on damage farming...

If you tell me you are popping smoke and would like spotting, I'll even give you fighter spotting so you can farm.

Most of the time though, I just get ignored.

[TMDA]
[TMDA]
Members
290 posts
4,733 battles

This crap happens all the time now.  Roll Into a cap with a few ships and we have the advantage, shots start getting fired I am busy fighting the other DD or CL that shows up next thing I know, my PT shows 3+ guns on me all the sudden.  I look at the mini map and my team mates have tucked their tail and run like cowards leaving me to die.  

Awesome ain't it?

• Cool 3

[SIDE]
Members
4,700 posts

I try to support him however I can depending on what ship I’m in, availability of cover, probability of ambush, number of other green ships likely to pitch in, presence of enemy DD (variable depending on my ship type), whether the carrier on my team is also spotting ahead, whether red carrier is spotting ahead of probable Red fleet also pushing, indicators such as enemy smoke, known locations of fire spammers and other ship-deleters like Yamato or Stalingrad, how much health Inhave remaining and, lastly, the status of my survivability consumables.

I mean on the surface of things deciding to support a dd that’s pushing is easy. I’m always inclined to do so. However, behind the scenes, a lot of complicated risk-reward and what-if second guessing is taking place.

Edited by thebigblue

[INTEL]
Members
3,058 posts
16,815 battles

In the scenario you posted there is no excuse for the cruisers to hide.  I suspect they were afraid of getting spotted by the DD and having BB BBs target them.  Even if the enemy BBs are not near the cap cruisers will hide.  But this is no excuse given the situation.  The exposure would be minimal given that even one cruiser plus a DD could quickly dispatch one enemy DD.

Members
6,621 posts
20,657 battles

Depends on his clan tag, is he wearing camo or flags, does he load late. If he is banging a few of these red flags I typically go the other away regardless of how he plays, I won't stay near him long enough for him to hurt me.

There really isn't a thing called "supporting your dd's" (besides CV cover now) they either know the game and risks or they don't. Typically where they need support puts those that support him in harms way or so far away that nothing can be done to help him.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TMS]
Members
3,351 posts
34 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I wish friendly DDs would communicate like you to their CV.

I'm very happy to scout for my ships. Im not focused on damage farming...

If you tell me you are popping smoke and would like spotting, I'll even give you fighter spotting so you can farm.

Most of the time though, I just get ignored.

How many times have you seen me in battle in my shima ?

I have over 10k battles in a DD and over 8k of them are in my shima.

So you're one of the few CV players who will listen because it more the fact that few listen to DD players than DD players who dont or cant be bothered to communicate.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
6,634 posts
2,525 battles
8 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

How many times have you seen me in battle in my shima ?

I have over 10k battles in a DD and over 8k of them are in my shima.

So you're one of the few CV players who will listen because it more the fact that few listen to DD players than DD players who dont or cant be bothered to communicate.

Sadly, I'm not yet up the tiers to play in tier 10 matches.

In CV, I only have Ranger and Hosho...I have Lexington researched but am saving up the silver for her.

And yes, no one communicates. It is a joy when I get to play with other captains who want to be part of a team.

Good luck, and may we meet on a friendly team soon.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,906 battles
1 hour ago, Grflrgl said:

In the current meta, it seems the answer is: COWER

I could've sworn the correct answer was: LAUGHTER 

1 hour ago, Hatework said:

I can completely sympathize with you Mr OP.  There are few things in this game as frustrating as having overwhelming advantages in ships and firepower only to watch people tuck tail and run or simply hide behind islands being useless.

If you dont support your teams destroyers, and your team looses, its your fault. 

That said, if your teams destroyers are showing all the gaming skills of a dead tortoise, they are on their own.  Im looking at you Mr Shimakaze on the J line firing torps through your own teammates while being outside of range of the enemy.  

I don't play Kagero, Yugumo, Shima anymore … so there's no way you could be talking about me :)

Edited by Commander_367
  • Funny 1

[AP]
Members
1,365 posts
17,319 battles

usually how things work out in my case

khaba: BB push with me

me(in my yamato sitting about still): sure

khaba:*sbood beests to 45 kt into enemy*

me(yamato): *just about to reach full speed*

khaba: *dies*

khaba: yamato you said you're gonna push with  me, you %^&#$%*@

DDs...please take note that battleship acceleration takes timescale of minutes, and they dont have speed boost to help with acceleration....

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

I don't worry much about the DD that is seen pushing, that DD can be attacked. The one that scares me is the one that has gone dark for a good length of time and could now be almost anywhere.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles

Hey Captains,

This is an interesting topic when you start talking about pushing DDs. There is a lot that can factor into this: time in the match, map, ship you are in, and so on. Finding the balance in when to push a cap in a DD and when to get support is something that has been trying for a long time. 

Tips:

• Make sure you communicate in chat that you are going scout the cap (doesn't mean teammates will listen but you alerted them).
  • You don't always have to get the cap on the first try, you an skirt the cap and lure out the radar. You can then go back in and claim the cap.
  • Make sure you are not pushing into superior numbers, this sounds easy but a lot of times ships are behind islands or just not detected when you commit.
  • Know the abilities of the ships that can support your push and time the push correctly, this does not always have to be at the beginning. 

I hope these tips help a little bit.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
876 posts

3 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

General situation – 1 CV per team.  I’m in Kagero with a T10 game. I spawn on the far west side. Enemy CV is initially focused on the east, friendly CV is initially focused on the center. My whole path is open. I’m running RPF, so I have at least an idea of where danger lies.

Specific example – Warrior’s Path, headed toward A cap. Two Alaska’s and two BBs behind me.  The Alaska’s radar covered all of A. I ran free, and based on RPF it was pretty clear that there was only one DD in A. I pinged the map with my RPF references. My four allied ships move up, get behind an island, and freeze. The enemy DD was a Chung Mu. We had a 5:1 advantage in ships. I spotted him twice and he eventually gunned me down. Not one radar ping from my friendly ships. Not one shot was sent the Chung Mu’s way. When the enemy realized that my allies were cowering, he charged me.  We never took A. After that, we never even attempted to take A. The four friendly ships, for fear of a single DD, turned and fled to the east. We didn’t take a single zone that game, but A was ours for the taking and we could probably have rolled B once we got A.

I wish I had a bar of steel for every time this theme played out.  I feel your pain OP.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
54 posts
403 battles

Well as I only play CVs these days if I see a line DD pushing at the start I use my rocket planes I use to scout to attack it and then drop my fighter consumable to keep them spotted for my team while I switch to DBs to finish it off.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,887 posts
9,956 battles
2 minutes ago, Finchy said:

Well as I only play CVs these days if I see a line DD pushing at the start I use my rocket planes I use to scout to attack it and then drop my fighter consumable to keep them spotted for my team while I switch to DBs to finish it off.

I know you are being facetious but the amount of CV drivers who do not watch what their own team is doing is part of the reason why many people despise CV's.

To the OP

I push with because its a team game.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,415 posts
15,870 battles

I rejoice and support the push as best I can.

If I am in a BB I close and draw fire. 

If in a CA I try to get in a position for fire support.

If in another DD and not all ready doing the same thing some where else I join in the fun

If in a CV that DD becomes my priority for Air cover.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
6,177 posts
22,432 battles

98% of the time I move into position to support only to have said DD turn tail & run behind & island as far away from any green ships as possible & smoke themselves up as soon as any red ship is spotted (no matter how far away & even if said ship has absolutely no way of being a threat to the DD) leaving anybody that pushed up to support perma-spotted by their DD & getting quickly focused down...good times...good times.

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

I'mma do ya'll a favor.  This in one I've posted on before so imma leave it alone.... this time..

Thumbs up to the DD driver that posted.   It's can be stupid rugged.

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,157 battles

Sometimes you just get teams that won't move anywhere. If there isn't an island between them and the enemy, they won't fire their guns.

I had one of those games the other day. One Belfast behind an island in the middle of the map and a BB driver on nearly full health wanted me in a DD to go deal with him. I went the other day and he started complaining in chat.

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,607 battles

If it's a red DD I kill it with fire. If its green I help it.