Battleship_Elisabeth

Does anyone else suffer existential panic attacks?

13 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
5,123 posts
5,391 battles

And I don't mean like hands grasping knees, rocking yourself slowly in a corner. But, rather, just a sudden shock or jolt of alarm as you brush up against the incomprehensible.

The cause doesn't even have to be personal - for example, I was just trying to fathom a potential nothingness before the "somethingness" of the big bang, and it shot through me. Of course, I also frequently have these sensations when thinking about the potential of ceasing to exist upon death - everyone and everything I love; every memory, both despised and cherished; every elemental speck of who I am, obliterated in an instant. It just... I dunno. It's terrible - it's like a flash of fire scorching through my brain.

Oddly, a lot of people seem to find those same introspective contemplations soothing - I encounter folks talking about it pretty frequently. But I'm definitely not one of them - as soon as I begin to meander off the garden path, I'm sure to get struck by that knifing wave of anxiety.

I cannot be alone in this. Does anyone else suffer from these?

[HYDRO]
Members
2,654 posts
4,424 battles

ffd6e89a5658c911e3d45ec6775fa549.jpg

Dunno, personally the knowledge that in the grand scheme of things we are nothing is oddly reassuring at times. Not saying to go the full nihilistic route, but different people rationalize things in different manners.

Members
58 posts
8,008 battles

Yes, I had this feeling last night. I somehow ended up broadside to 3 BBs in my DM and they all fired at once. It was a surreal few moments of panic, despair, and finally anger. And then, suddenly, I didn't have a ship to worry about anymore...

But on a serious note, Death comes for all but it is what we do in life that defines us. With my job I simply accept the fact that it may be my turn. If I may be so bold as to suggest maybe seeking answers from a church (I go to a baptist one myself)? Don't want to push a religion on you but you may find answers and peace.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles

I used to ponder the nature of existence when I was young. We would discuss it in my circle of friends quite often back when we all thought we were more intelligent than we actually were. Then life happened. My friends and I met people, got married, had children and quit worrying about what it all means because we were busy dealing with the here and now. Every so often would have a bout of fear about what I would do if this happened or what my family would do if I croaked. It wasn't so much about the afterlife, but what you leave after your life. With so many years passed and I look at my loved ones and see the kind people they grew up to be, I figure I did pretty good. As I advance in years now I think more again about what will come to all living things and what the future holds. The longer you live, the more death you face with family and friends passing away. I have faith though, not martyrdom faith, but faith nonetheless that there is more to our existence than the physical world. It isn't that mortality ruins our lives, mortality makes life important enough to be special. 

My advice is to find someone to love, make a family, live a good life and find something you  enjoy doing whether professionally or personally.   Finding God doesn't hurt either.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,308 posts
13,793 battles

Quite regularly. Suffering from depression along with - ... other interesting things makes for a volatile combination.

[4TAC]
Members
882 posts
4,142 battles

Stop drinking "stuff" with caffeine in it 24/7.  That stuff is like "meth" for about 24 hours. No wonder it was a substitute for cocaine in Coca -Cola. I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day and that is it. No soda's with caffeine and god knows none of them crazy energy drinks. You will see. This day and age the US avg cafenie drink consumption is like 6-8 a day , no wonder so much ADD.  Also is is a good idea to stay away from all that high fructose corn syrup too, probably why there is so much diabetes happening IMO.

Alpha Tester
5,755 posts
2,799 battles

It's something I've thought of before (and it's probably a reason why I want to be able to transfer my consciousness into a robotic body in order to achieve immortality once it becomes possible to do so), but most of the time I just keep my focus on the here and now and it seems to work. It sounds hackneyed, but Monty Python put it best: Always look on the bright side of life.

If it helps, I also find solace in a line that Robin Williams says in the excellent movie Dead Poet's Society. Even if it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, I always try to make sure that the verse I contribute to the powerful play is one that makes a mark on my life and the lives of the people I care about.

24 minutes ago, Lert said:

Quite regularly. Suffering from depression along with - ... other interesting things makes for a volatile combination.

If there's anything I can do to help with that, let me know.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,866 posts
2,647 battles

I don't know if I'd call it panic, but contemplating what is outside the universe and time, and the eternity that is after death makes me, I guess, uncomfortable. I try not to think about it, it's not relevant anyway. Though I guess that discomfort is why I'm religious. Helps handle that big uncertainty.

This has got to be the strangest thread I've seen. Way too philosophical/theological for what I generally come here for. Interesting though that so many people have similar thoughts.

[BS]
Members
1,316 posts
7,451 battles
3 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

And I don't mean like hands grasping knees, rocking yourself slowly in a corner. But, rather, just a sudden shock or jolt of alarm as you brush up against the incomprehensible.

The cause doesn't even have to be personal - for example, I was just trying to fathom a potential nothingness before the "somethingness" of the big bang, and it shot through me. Of course, I also frequently have these sensations when thinking about the potential of ceasing to exist upon death - everyone and everything I love; every memory, both despised and cherished; every elemental speck of who I am, obliterated in an instant. It just... I dunno. It's terrible - it's like a flash of fire scorching through my brain.

Oddly, a lot of people seem to find those same introspective contemplations soothing - I encounter folks talking about it pretty frequently. But I'm definitely not one of them - as soon as I begin to meander off the garden path, I'm sure to get struck by that knifing wave of anxiety.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6720331/Scientists-discovered-brains-communicate-brand-new-way.html

Looks like Murphy's law is in effect...Nothing after death... LOL, if it was only that simple.

Members
300 posts
4,440 battles
3 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Um, just play WoWs.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.