Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Salem

14 comments in this topic

[1813]
Members
328 posts
9,721 battles

I am having a difficult time with this ship, get killed most of the time in Random, should I play it in Co-Op in a less difficult scenario for experience?

I put all the recommanded up-grades to the ship plus the relevent flags and a 14 points Captain. 

Assistance please?

• Funny 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,571 posts
15,615 battles
2 hours ago, 3r22r said:

I am having a difficult time with this ship, get killed most of the time in Random, should I play it in Co-Op in a less difficult scenario for experience?

I put all the recommanded up-grades to the ship plus the relevent flags and a 14 points Captain. 

Assistance please?

It is a concealment dependent CA. She can be very rewarding, and very vulnerable. I've mainly used it as a co_op ship. In the right hands and the correct circumstances. You can have 200K damage games.

My best game in the Salem I had a clan mate smoking me constantly with a Gearing so the smoke lasted awhile. He spotted and I dishes out rapid auto reloading 8" AP.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles

I use mine in co-op, but between the DD dam con reload, the RN BB heal, and the ability to slot both def AA and hydro at once, she's a pretty good ship in a defensive playstyle.

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles
4 hours ago, 3r22r said:

Assistance please?

I have the Salem and it seems that I have played it for 5 battles in Co op. If you take it into Co op make sure that at least half of your team are real players. If you end up on an all bot team be very strategic.

shot-19_05.13_20_26.18-0094.thumb.jpg.f90bd71536f3cc270fe372a69afc9b07.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
5,371 posts
16,103 battles
6 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I use mine in co-op, but between the DD dam con reload, the RN BB heal, and the ability to slot both def AA and hydro at once, she's a pretty good ship in a defensive playstyle.

That tier 7 radar is still a downer. DDs have to get really close, spotting you for  a looong time before you can reach them with radar.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles

That's why I don't bother. The hydro shares the radar's slot, and isn't that much shorter range, is longer duration, and can see torps. Honestly, if someone told me they gave her radar because they felt they had to, I'd not be surprised, as she works excellently for pushing into smoke for a more personal touch. Best part? Reds won't even notice you don't have radar, and act like you do! Only way they'll find out is if they get way, way too close.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

That tier 7 radar is still a downer. DDs have to get really close, spotting you for  a looong time before you can reach them with radar.

Whoops. Forgot to quote you. No idea how to add it, so just look at the post above.

[CVA16]
Members
5,371 posts
16,103 battles
7 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That's why I don't bother. The hydro shares the radar's slot, and isn't that much shorter range, is longer duration, and can see torps. Honestly, if someone told me they gave her radar because they felt they had to, I'd not be surprised, as she works excellently for pushing into smoke for a more personal touch. Best part? Reds won't even notice you don't have radar, and act like you do! Only way they'll find out is if they get way, way too close.

Hmm...have to consider this. I typically take the radar but find I rarely get to effectively use it. What is the hydro range?

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,170 battles
14 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Hmm...have to consider this. I typically take the radar but find I rarely get to effectively use it. What is the hydro range?

5km for ships, 3.5km for torps. Considerably shorter, yes, but one has to consider the times that Salem actually gets use out of the radar. This, on top of the duration and added utility of the hydro, is why it's my preferred choice.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,446 posts

Wow guys... just wow... Salem is one of the best premium ships you can own. Her fun factor is way up there... I honestly believe the secret to enjoying her is to constantly be moving, changing directions, never parking/camping anywhere... Vary her speed & direction and feel free to lob HE shells at her maximum range. Heck, I just played a match with her and was able to citadel an Izumo at about 15km. 

The spamalicious HE is really painful to BB's and other cruisers. She lights things on fire like she's shooting napalm. As well she gets that huge reduction in operation costs plus all the camo bonuses. 

I will say recently my average win rate with her has dropped a good deal but I'm still enjoying her. It's great fun zapping dds with her, cit'ing other cruisers and burning BBs with her. 

MY Halsey is only at 15pts... I got to get back and play her some more... see you on the seas. 

[R-R-R]
Members
1,062 posts
10,358 battles

How much experience do you have with other USN CAs?

If you can get good at playing New Orleans/Baltimore, you should have no problem playing Salem.

[CVA16]
Members
5,371 posts
16,103 battles
5 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

If you can get good at playing New Orleans/Baltimore, you should have no problem playing Salem.

Whereas your experience playing the Buffalo is best locked away and forgetten:Smile_ohmy:

[90THD]
Members
6 posts
5,786 battles

Use AP 95% of the time. AP is really good and has some great pen angles. Hug islands if you haven't mastered how to kite.

[APES]
Members
1,487 posts
8,304 battles
3 hours ago, ALEXHAVOK said:

Use AP 95% of the time. AP is really good and has some great pen angles. Hug islands if you haven't mastered how to kite.

Say whaaaaaaaaat?  Des Moines you use mostly HE, and switch to AP for broadsides but definitely mostly HE.  I do not own the Salem.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0

Sign in to follow this