You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Swivet

OKHOTNIK

32 comments in this topic

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles

I had been debating getting an OKHOTNIK. I only saw two players with one in the 1000 battles I have played. (That I can remember.) I only got to ask the second player about his OKHOTNIK. His reply was the ship was awesome. I wish I could remember his name and be able to thank him for his input because he is correct, the ship is awesome.

Playing the OKHOTNIK to its strengths and minimizing its weaknesses as much as possible has provided me with a very satisfying game experience. It's my new favorite ship.

If you're on the fence about getting one, my opinion is to get it. Its a very fun ship to play.

Qualifier here, I only play co-op battles, I do not know how well the OKHOTNIK does against players.

Against bots in co-op, the OKHOTNIK is a superb ambush ship. I was surprised and delighted by its performance in co-op battles.

• Cool 2

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,159 posts
11,408 battles
51 minutes ago, Swivet said:

I had been debating getting an OKHOTNIK. I only saw two players with one in the 1000 battles I have played. (That I can remember.) I only got to ask the second player about his OKHOTNIK. His reply was the ship was awesome. I wish I could remember his name and be able to thank him for his input because he is correct, the ship is awesome.

Playing the OKHOTNIK to its strengths and minimizing its weaknesses as much as possible has provided me with a very satisfying game experience. It's my new favorite ship.

If you're on the fence about getting one, my opinion is to get it. Its a very fun ship to play.

Qualifier here, I only play co-op battles, I do not know how well the OKHOTNIK does against players.

Against bots in co-op, the OKHOTNIK is a superb ambush ship. I was surprised and delighted by its performance in co-op battles.

One thing for you to use while playing the Ok Nik .  Those guns AP will citadel most cruisers you will play against when the bots show you broadside . Nothing so enjoyable as getting 7 citadels on a Schoors with one double click of the LMB .    

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,411 posts
11,332 battles

It is stupidly fun and is actually semi-historical. The real ship really did have lots of torpedoes and was classed as a torpedo cruiser. Where I think WG took license was the number of guns.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,158 posts
29,745 battles

Works very well (and fun) in Coop.

In PvP not as much as few people are dumb enough to get within torp range of that thing. If they do, they deserve what they get as within 4.5km you are done for.

Guns are good but slow reload. AP as said is awesome.  Speed and turning, not so much.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
1,052 posts
6,022 battles

Easily my favorite DD at T5. If I had Kamikaze, it might have some competition, but I sadly do not.

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
306 posts
3,861 battles
2 hours ago, Swivet said:

The torpedoes on the Ohotnik are so many. I doubt that you would need them all. 

Anyways, the guns? Yes, they are fun to use, but they reload so slowly. 10 seconds. Still a lot of firepower, with strong HE and AP, but Gremyashchy has more. 

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
7 hours ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

One thing for you to use while playing the Ok Nik .  Those guns AP will citadel most cruisers you will play against when the bots show you broadside . Nothing so enjoyable as getting 7 citadels on a Schoors with one double click of the LMB .    

:Smile_honoring:

Thank you very much for the tip, I will definitely be trying that out. I appreciate that. Thank you for the positive and civil reply.

Edited by Swivet
further text
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It is stupidly fun and is actually semi-historical. The real ship really did have lots of torpedoes and was classed as a torpedo cruiser. Where I think WG took license was the number of guns.

Yes. I checked out the real OKHOTNIK as well. Or at least I started too. I didn't get very far and had to leave it because I was at work. I like your take on it "Stupidly fun" That's the perfect phrase for this ship.  I'll have to quote you on that one. :) Thank you for the positive and civil reply.

Edited by Swivet
further text
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
6 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Works very well (and fun) in Coop.

In PvP not as much as few people are dumb enough to get within torp range of that thing. If they do, they deserve what they get as within 4.5km you are done for.

Guns are good but slow reload. AP as said is awesome.  Speed and turning, not so much.

I kind of figured that would be the case in PvP. Yes, she has some less than desirable qualities, but I try hard t minimize them as much as I can whenever possible. With the slow gun reload and turret traverse, I try to plan ahead as much as I can to compensate for that. But as you know, that doesn't always work out. You win some and you loss some. In the end its all fun. Thanks for your civil and positive reply.

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
6 hours ago, Visidious said:

I used it in ranked sprint one season, it was a lot of fun

Cool! Thank you for the positive and civil reply.

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
5 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Easily my favorite DD at T5. If I had Kamikaze, it might have some competition, but I sadly do not.

Yes! It immediately became my favorite. I'm right there with you regarding the Kamikaze. I wish I had one of those myself. Thank you for the positive and civil reply.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
5 hours ago, tyinnow said:

The torpedoes on the Ohotnik are so many. I doubt that you would need them all. 

Anyways, the guns? Yes, they are fun to use, but they reload so slowly. 10 seconds. Still a lot of firepower, with strong HE and AP, but Gremyashchy has more. 

I've fired all of the torpedo's she has, and missed with every one of them, lol. So yes, I've needed all of them. I have yet to check out the Gremyashchy. Thank you for the tip. Thank you also for the positive and civil reply.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
235 posts
15,205 battles

I love the war canoe... 

and yeah....I have a Kami R lol 

kamikills.jpg

• Cool 1

[M_S]
Members
306 posts
3,861 battles
9 minutes ago, Gyphon_GF said:

kamikills.jpg

Not related.

1 hour ago, Swivet said:

I've fired all of the torpedo's she has, and missed with every one of them, lol. So yes, I've needed all of them. I have yet to check out the Gremyashchy. Thank you for the tip. Thank you also for the positive and civil reply.

Disclaimer: Gremyashchy does not have charge torps. They are slow, long-range torpedoes, although the guns have the exact same firepower as Gnevny, a tier VI.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
344 posts
18,459 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

She is actually a 100% historical design. I've attatched the only public image of the designs that i'm aware of, but during the next year (appx.) one more gun was swapped for a triple torp tube, giving us the ship we have in game.

800px-Okhotnik_premium.jpg

It was basically a stretched version of the Family of russian DDs that populate T2-4.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,411 posts
11,332 battles
3 minutes ago, Kingpin61 said:

She is actually a 100% historical design. I've attatched the only public image of the designs that i'm aware of, but during the next year (appx.) one more gun was swapped for a triple torp tube, giving us the ship we have in game.

It was basically a stretched version of the Family of russian DDs that populate T2-4.

Wow!!! What I could find was just the reference to it and a few not very good pictures. Excellent work sir and this makes me feel better about having the War Canoe in my port as I prefer real or at least ships that were ordered even if not completed.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,367 posts
11,468 battles

Seems like it would be quite dangerous to be a gunner on the aft deck of this ship. If you don't get washed overboard (pretty sure that deck got 'wet" at speed) the muzzle blasts from adjacent guns would deafen and burn if not outright kill you. Overall I think the design was never built because somebody up the chain with some actual ship handling knowledge finally asked the question "What are you guys smoking?" 

Gamewise taking the ships from coop to randoms, one thing for the OP needs to think about is the ship has only slightly better AA than the Kamikaze and is not near as agile. T6 CVs could be a real problem.

Edited by Sabot_100

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

On top of that, the term "torpedo cruiser" is in fact a precursor of destroyer leader. Along with the term "scout cruiser - espolatari" that also evolved into destroyer leader. Pretty much a compromise between DD & CL.

And BTW, the Okhotnik design schematics did exist.

Beside the Okhotnik, there were a few real torpedo cruisers existed in the Imperial Russian Navy as well.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
9 hours ago, Gyphon_GF said:

I love the war canoe... 

and yeah....I have a Kami R lol 

kamikills.jpg

What an appropriate nick name! War Canoe. Nice. Do you like one over the other? Or are they just different?

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
9 hours ago, tyinnow said:

Not related.

Disclaimer: Gremyashchy does not have charge torps. They are slow, long-range torpedoes, although the guns have the exact same firepower as Gnevny, a tier VI.

Thank you for the info. I tried to find the Gremyashchy in the ship tiers and the premium shop and I cannot find it. Is it a promotional/event prize ship like the Kamikaze?

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
9 hours ago, Kingpin61 said:

This is awesome! Thank you for posting this. Very cool!

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
9 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Seems like it would be quite dangerous to be a gunner on the aft deck of this ship. If you don't get washed overboard (pretty sure that deck got 'wet" at speed) the muzzle blasts from adjacent guns would deafen and burn if not outright kill you. Overall I think the design was never built because somebody up the chain with some actual ship handling knowledge finally asked the question "What are you guys smoking?" 

Gamewise taking the ships from coop to randoms, one thing for the OP needs to think about is the ship has only slightly better AA than the Kamikaze and is not near as agile. T6 CVs could be a real problem.

Yes, it would have been dangerous to be a rear gunner on that ship. The design actually was built, I looked it up. All I got was a little info on the years in service and some statistics on the ship. The above schematics I never saw until here and now. There was nothing on how this ship handled in real life or how dangerous it was to be a rear gunner.

As for in game, I only play co-op so this ship is very fun to play and does well there. I can see where it would be less fun to play in random. For the reasons you pointed out. Thank you for your feedback Sabot. I appreciate it.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
235 posts
15,205 battles
12 minutes ago, Swivet said:

What an appropriate nick name! War Canoe. Nice. Do you like one over the other? Or are they just different?

Totally different...The Kami is a stealth torp ship with great guns (slow rate of fire and slow traverse but hit really hard)

The Okhotnik is just a beast with the guns....with all those torps on it for giggles pretty much. Yes I've sunk people with them but it's all about the guns.

[CO-OP]
Members
30 posts
2,403 battles
7 hours ago, Xero_Snake said:

On top of that, the term "torpedo cruiser" is in fact a precursor of destroyer leader. Along with the term "scout cruiser - espolatari" that also evolved into destroyer leader. Pretty much a compromise between DD & CL.

And BTW, the Okhotnik design schematics did exist.

Beside the Okhotnik, there were a few real torpedo cruisers existed in the Imperial Russian Navy as well.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing Xero Snake. :)