You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CaptainKaitoGhost

Gods help me, I'm starting the USN BB grind.

10 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,584 posts
2,423 battles

Really not looking forward to the USN Standards slow speed, especially coming from a CL main.

I'm thinking running a hybrid AA/survivability captain: BFT, AFT, FP, BoS.  EM to get those turrets moving.  Is AR recommended, or should I choose something else?

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,601 battles

I would use a full tank build: PT/EM/AR/SI/BoS/FP/CE. AFT is really not worth it anymore with respect to AA; BFT might be fine, but SI is better for BBs. AR is worth getting on basically every ship.

Perhaps you can argue CE isn't valuable anymore and replace that with another AA skill, but I still like CE.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Up to t8, they are slow, I don't like them for that reason. But overall they are decent, no really weak ships in the line. At t8 though they really become fun, no more slow [edited]bathtubs.

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

I found they were manageable until the Colorado, when it's glacial speed becomes a serious problem when uptiered. It takes you 10 minutes to get into the fight, if you find yourself out of position you're not getting away in one piece, and your bow is easily over matched by almost every BB you come across.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

I would use a full tank build: PT/EM/AR/SI/BoS/FP/CE. AFT is really not worth it anymore with respect to AA; BFT might be fine, but SI is better for BBs. AR is worth getting on basically every ship.

Perhaps you can argue CE isn't valuable anymore and replace that with another AA skill, but I still like CE.

I like AFT for the boost to AA, every little bit helps these days particularly if you juggle your reinforcement well.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,665 posts
7,442 battles

The speed the Standards and their dreadnought predecessors get stuck with won't really matter much till Colorado, as stated by others. The ships otherwise are pretty good if you can manage the reloads and positioning demands.

Colorado will be fine unless she's bottom tier...then things like Iowa/etc will see you as a tasty snack. Getting a bad spawn (like say, near solitary A-cap in Land of Fire for example) in a game with CVs was painful before the rework and it will still be painful now.

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles
8 hours ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Really not looking forward to the USN Standards slow speed, especially coming from a CL main.

I'm thinking running a hybrid AA/survivability captain: BFT, AFT, FP, BoS.  EM to get those turrets moving.  Is AR recommended, or should I choose something else?

Spent several thousand doubloons on captain respecs since CV rework to find the most effective combo of AA and survivability for BBs, because to be honest I get utter joy sh#*!ting all over them.

Best combo I have found is this in the order I prefer.  If you are comfortable with slower turrets take AR as your first tier 2 skill.

PT, EM, BoS, MFCAA, AR, FP, then BFT to finish your last 3 pts.

Do not take AFT, it is only effective with flak which is ridiculously easy to dodge, even for average CV drivers.

You want to maximize your constant DPS with AA.

You will miss out on SI and a 5th heal, but in my experience I only used it in ~10-20% of my matches.  I miss the extra fighter more.

This will still give you great fire protection, especially coupled with fire flag and 4 heals if you run premium, which you should.

A key that most players leave out for AA builds is the AA Mod 1 skill in slot 1.  Investing in AA skills is pointless and wasteful if you don't protect them.

The amount of AA mounts that survive than without is very noticeable as it doubles each mounts HP.

Add AA mod 2 in slot 3 as well for a slight boost in flak since you aren't sacrificing the dispersion mod in that slot that is not available to US BBs till tier 9 in slot 6.

For maximum FU to CVs from T9 up throw on AA Mod 3 in slot 6 for another 15% of constant dps.  

If this meta continues I feel a lot of people are really overlooking this one and its effectiveness. 

Have tried dispersion and reload mod in that slot and really do not miss either one.

It makes Monty immune to air attack when coupled with timing of your fighter.

Midway can't even get a strike on her till late game when you are out of fighters and down a few AA mounts from HE spam.

Will be respeccing all my US BB captains this way.

Will have to respec my New Mex and NC and let you know how they fair, the only other two US BBs I have in port.

Edited by Aeries1
  • Cool 1

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

I have had no issue with the slow speed, play the side got start in, don't try to sail across the map. Play your area, know how to angle and you will be gold. Pay attention to the map, you have to be one step ahead of the enemies and friendlies because you don't have the speed to play catch up.

Playing USN and doing good will make you a better player because it teaches map awareness and positioning 

[S0L]
Supertester
9 posts
3,747 battles
On 5/14/2019 at 12:05 AM, pikohan said:

That's my exact build for the USN Battleships. As for OP, people may disagree, but I enjoy all the USN Battleships (yes, including South Carolina and New York), with the sole exception of Colorado (which I just can't make work, for some reason). But that's just my personal experience, and you probably may have different experiences. But yes, you'll learn a lot by playing the US Battleships, about good positioning, angling, and a multitude of other things because they don't hide behind any... gimmicks (?) so-to-say. They'll probably give you a good experience by the time you reach the North Carolina, and culminating in the Montana.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

The USN BB Line is a late blooming ship line.  Tier VII and below with the tech tree, I think they're some of the worst Battleships in the game.  Some are passable, but in general they're horrible experiences and very mediocre.

But the Line greatly improves starting in Tier VIII with North Carolina.  The only thing you have to get used to with NC are the floaty shells.  But those same floaty shells, the way they arc up, are great in bagging Penetrations against targets, even angled BBs as the shells arc down into the base of the superstructure for Penetrations.

USN BBs cannot access ASM1 in Slot 3 like every other surface ship combatant line out there.  This is a big disadvantage.  But this is made up for with APRM2 buffing 11% main battery dispersion instead of the 7% of ASM1.  APRM2 is found in Slot 6.  Only Tier IX-X USN BBs can access this upgrade.  So, ingame-wise, Iowa-class, upcoming Georgia, and Montana are the only BBs in the game that can for example, take AAGM1 in Slot 3 to buff their AA (or in Georgia's case, SBM1 in Slot 3) while still taking APRM2 in Slot 6 to buff their main battery accuracy.  Every other ship line has to make a hard choice.

High Tier USN Battleship gunnery is IMO, the next best all-around Battleship gunnery.  IJN BBs are better at range.  The 16"/45 x 9 guns of Tier VIII are great BB guns.  The 16"/50 guns x9 of Tier IX are even better.  In Tier X, you get 12 of these fantastic guns.  My opinion comes from how much I like USN BBs in High Tier as well as being a Cruiser Main getting shot at by those American 16" guns.  Montana in particular is extremely dangerous with those 12, accurate firing, arcing, high pen guns against Cruisers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1