Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Wows can be a good esport game

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

557
[WOLF1]
Members
2,877 posts

currently esport games can't succeed because they are too fast for spectators, even for gamers, let along general public

if you can't get interest from general public and show on mainstream tvs and sell ads and tickets, you can't really succeed like sports

but wows is pretty interesting, not too fast not too slow, and general public can connect to naval warfare

wg could give it a try :)

  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,026
[MALD]
Members
1,729 posts
13,401 battles

WoWS competitive is way too boring and slow for the average viewer. Most matches last the full 20 min and there is a ton of sniping and cap trading... There are not a ton of people who would find that kind of play exciting or interesting to watch. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
271
[AAYC]
Beta Testers
788 posts
11,946 battles

I don't think this game is in a place to be an ESport IMHO.  Too many items still need work and balancing, in the right way, rather than the see-saw formulas WG uses.  The last thing you want is to have the host company "gathering data" during an ESport competition to further fix the game.  You know these guys would do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,828
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,622 posts

The shells you shoot have RNG.  You can shoot in the exact same place at the same stationary ship 3 times and get 3 different outcomes.

While that is part of what makes this game fun and interesting, that makes it a very poor candidate for esports where skill alone is the competition.

Skill does greatly affect your stats, but it's over a large quantity of games.  That RNG over a large quantity is rounded off by skill over time.  Over the course of many games, one player with a 60% WR can be said to be better at the game, than another player with a %40 WR.

Esports though, championships etc, are often decided by one single game. Most esports players don't want RNG making decisions for them in that game.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,457
[WOLFG]
Members
29,104 posts
8,332 battles
24 minutes ago, JustAdapt said:

WoWS competitive is way too boring and slow for the average viewer. Most matches last the full 20 min and there is a ton of sniping and cap trading... There are not a ton of people who would find that kind of play exciting or interesting to watch. 

Yeah, I get that the island hugging, bow tanking, and reversing is effective, but it certainly makes for a very slow-paced watching experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
557
[WOLF1]
Members
2,877 posts
24 minutes ago, JustAdapt said:

WoWS competitive is way too boring and slow for the average viewer. Most matches last the full 20 min and there is a ton of sniping and cap trading... There are not a ton of people who would find that kind of play exciting or interesting to watch. 

compares to other hot sports like basketball or soccer, wows is not that boring, 20 mins is also pretty fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,393
[WOLFG]
Members
9,633 posts
8,624 battles
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

compares to other hot sports like basketball or soccer, wows is not that boring, 20 mins is also pretty fast

I think the fortnite league was on TV this weekend.  It almost gave me a seizure so much was going on.  Ships is way slower paced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,499
[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts

Trololol....

Generally the time to go esport is before you've lost 50% of your players....

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
557
[WOLF1]
Members
2,877 posts
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I think the fortnite league was on TV this weekend.  It almost gave me a seizure so much was going on.  Ships is way slower paced.

that's what i saw when i was flipping channels, it was on ABC i think, yeah that's way too fast and chaotic, forget about general public, even gamers can't follow what's going on

wows is much slower and viewers can easily follow what's going on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[RNDM]
Members
371 posts
7,377 battles

Honestly some games can be fairly exiting while others are boring camp fests or outright slaughters of one team. I think you would need a couple mostly staged exiting matches before anyone not already involved with the game could be consistently entertained. If battles in game looked more like the cinematic videos WG makes for the game every now and then, I think you would have a decent audience. Maybe some specially designed scenarios viewed from the spectator free view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
553
[_SMS_]
Members
936 posts
4,341 battles
57 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

While some players like participating in and watching competitive wows, KOTS hasn't been nearly successful enough to warrant official WG organized competitive.

Exactly.  KoTS is entertaining enough for those of us that really like the game it is absolutely tiny in comparison to the big esport tournaments.  As was said above, ABC had fortnite on this weekend. Compare that to the international final of the most recent KoTS stream has only 11k views on YouTube.  

It certainly helps that Epic puts up $100 million per year in prize money for fortnite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,358
[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

Keep in mind most people complain about the campy meta and are bored with it as players and this is exactly what competitive is.

Many/most people interested in the actual game itself find that boring, now imagine that same group or people even less interested watching a more passive meta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[AP]
Members
1,365 posts
17,338 battles

i think wows requires toooooooooooo much learning to keep up with match

you cant expect general audience to go through hours of reading just to know what is going on in a wows match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,005
[DPG]
Members
1,928 posts
9,602 battles

Almost every KotS battle I've watched has about 17 minutes of watching ships stare at each other and 3 minutes of action.  That's not very compelling for esports.  We watch it because we understand the game and to us it's interesting, but to an outsider it would be very boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
365
Beta Testers
874 posts
11,051 battles
4 hours ago, Happy668 said:

currently esport games can't succeed because they are too fast for spectators, even for gamers, let along general public

if you can't get interest from general public and show on mainstream tvs and sell ads and tickets, you can't really succeed like sports

but wows is pretty interesting, not too fast not too slow, and general public can connect to naval warfare

wg could give it a try :)

Never happen.

Way too much rng.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
557
[WOLF1]
Members
2,877 posts
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

i think wows requires toooooooooooo much learning to keep up with match

you cant expect general audience to go through hours of reading just to know what is going on in a wows match

learning? just shoot the ship and the ship sinks, can't be simpler than that, baseball, football....., every sport requires "learning"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[AP]
Members
1,365 posts
17,338 battles
30 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

learning? just shoot the ship and the ship sinks, can't be simpler than that, baseball, football....., every sport requires "learning"

yes but current competitive meta is like......10% actually shooting stuff, 90% everything else(like heavily exploiting game mechanics)....and that wont be too entertaining for anyone without knowledge of this game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,828
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,622 posts
31 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

yes but current competitive meta is like......10% actually shooting stuff, 90% everything else(like heavily exploiting game mechanics)....and that wont be too entertaining for anyone without knowledge of this game

 

Aye, all sports require knowledge of the game to understand what is happening.

As an example of esports, look at something like Dota 2 or Hearthstone.  The average joe, either non gamer or a person that plays games but not those games, will have no idea what is happening or what most of the acronyms or game mechanics that the announcer is talking about.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,319
[WOOK3]
Members
4,214 posts
3,235 battles
1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

Almost every KotS battle I've watched has about 17 minutes of watching ships stare at each other and 3 minutes of action.  That's not very compelling for esports.  We watch it because we understand the game and to us it's interesting, but to an outsider it would be very boring.

I watched a few streams and that was my impression too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

As an example of esports, look at something like Dota 2 or Hearthstone.  The average joe, either non gamer or a person that plays games but not those games, will have no idea what is happening or what most of the acronyms or game mechanics that the announcer is talking about.

LOL, my one coworker was into LOL and some DOTA and he showed me some of the LOL tournament games that some ridiculous amount of folks watched..  Having not played the game ever and just watching those game I was like HUH? wth? is going on,  the announcers were basically berserk calling stuff out, to me it looked like a lot of really cool lights and stuff happening but had zero idea what they were doing and then the game was over.  Was pretty amazing to watch and I know those folks were professional players but comparing that to WOW's ..  I think most people would equate watching a WOW's competitive match to watching golf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,828
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,622 posts
15 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

LOL, my one coworker was into LOL and some DOTA and he showed me some of the LOL tournament games that some ridiculous amount of folks watched..  Having not played the game ever and just watching those game I was like HUH? wth? is going on,  the announcers were basically berserk calling stuff out, to me it looked like a lot of really cool lights and stuff happening but had zero idea what they were doing and then the game was over.  Was pretty amazing to watch and I know those folks were professional players but comparing that to WOW's ..  I think most people would equate watching a WOW's competitive match to watching golf. 

This game is no different.  As a quick example we had "the flying shima" there for a bit.  We have armor and pen thickness values, sigma and last gasp. Angle and what means to AP vs HE.  All their terms we use for the game specific captain skills, signals and camos, spotting mechanics and last known position tactics. 

No-one outside of world of warships is going to have any clue what any of that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
113
[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,752 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

This game is no different.  As a quick example we had "the flying shima" there for a bit.  We have armor and pen thickness values, sigma and last gasp. Angle and what means to AP vs HE.  All their terms we use for the game specific captain skills, signals and camos, spotting mechanics and last known position tactics. 

No-one outside of world of warships is going to have any clue what any of that means.

I agree with you. Actually the point I was trying to make and obviously didn't do so well at was that watching a LOL game was Visually exciting.  Always something happening, lot's of action, movement etc.. Add in the commentators who were very good at it and even though I didn't really know what was happening it was pretty amazing to watch. 

I just don't see WOW's being visually exciting to watch, sure there would be some folks interested but in the numbers you need to have to get to that level?  LOL paid what? a Million to the tournament winner recently? Can't see it happening or we'd already have 100,000+ folks on every night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,828
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,622 posts
7 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

I agree with you. Actually the point I was trying to make and obviously didn't do so well at was that watching a LOL game was Visually exciting.  Always something happening, lot's of action, movement etc.. Add in the commentators who were very good at it and even though I didn't really know what was happening it was pretty amazing to watch. 

I just don't see WOW's being visually exciting to watch, sure there would be some folks interested but in the numbers you need to have to get to that level?  LOL paid what? a Million to the tournament winner recently? Can't see it happening or we'd already have 100,000+ folks on every night?

Oh yeah, for sure.  I like this game, a lot.

I agree though that it would not be a very good esports game.  It isn't flashy and while I think the RNG is what makes it fun and keeps it interesting, there is too much of it for serious bleeding edge competition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×